General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run nutrition that doesn't give the s?$!ts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-12 10:52 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: Run nutrition that doesn't give the s?$!ts
From GUs to bars to blocks to beans they all mess my stomach up. In about 30 min after nibbling one I have to make a speedy trip to the outhouses. It is so frustrating because I know my body needs to take something in on long runs. After 9 miles my muscles start getting fatigued and crampy. My questions are:
1. What is in these specialty run gu stuff that my body needs?
2. Can I get that in a normal non run product? (Like a snicker bar or fruit snack?

2014-06-13 5:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Run nutrition that doesn't give the s?$!ts
Have you tried just taking in calories through liquids? Not sure how far you are running beyond 9 miles, how long that takes, or what your race goals are. My answer might be different if you were training for Ironman or just working up to a half-marathon. For the latter, you'd be fine just getting some calories from sports drink. I have done all my marathons as well with nothing other than sports drink and/or defizzed Coke. For IM, I defer to those with experience at that distance. There are some people who take in most/all of their calories for iron distance with various liquid nutrition products, though.

As for whether it has to be a "sports" product, not necessarily. On my HIM run, in addition to one gu, I had several pretzel sticks and orange slices. Bike food in training has included bananas, dates, my dad's fig Newtons, almonds, granola bars, PB sandwiches, dried fruit, etc. But I'm not sure how portable those would be on a long run, or how well your body would tolerate it. I've successfully eaten fruit leather as fuel in a tri run, and when I lived in China, where no gu was available, I used to carry dates or haw rolls (similar to fruit leather) in a waist pack on long runs up to 3 hours. That might be a starting point to experiment if you want something natural but reasonably portable.

ETA What's in the run products is mainly simple carbs (sugar)--it gives an energy boost. Some also contain electrolytes and/or caffeine. What's in the snacks I mentioned above is also mainly simple, easily digestible carbs. Most people get electrolytes from sports drinks anyway. I use some gus with them as I occasionally do races in Asia where only water is offered on the course.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-06-13 5:21 AM
2014-06-13 7:01 AM
in reply to: #5011715

User image

New user
Sylvania
I started using Tailwinds Nutrition and have had NO stomach issues. It has a light flavoring but not overpowering, similar to Skratch flavor. Tailwinds has all the stuff you need right inside. No need to carry anything else.

http://www.tailwindnutrition.com
2014-06-13 7:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I only consume Infinit during races and long training.  I have only had GI issues once.

Also, before all races and long training, I try to start with the lower half of my digestive tract emptied out.

(Note: I am also the type of person who performs really well in donut / beer races, so I may NOT be a good lab rat).

Edited by pga_mike 2014-06-13 7:12 AM
2014-06-13 7:16 AM
in reply to: akrenik

User image

Champion
MA

Look at the ingredients of what you have tried and see if something is in all the products, then look for products without that ingredient.

Liquids work well for many.

2014-06-13 7:42 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Extreme Veteran
Skratch labs sports drink is pretty good. I have lots of GI issues so I can empathize.

2014-06-13 7:55 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Dietary fat, if you are inclined to join the dark side. but the transition to fat adaptation is rough.
2014-06-13 7:58 AM

Master
Northern IL

Guess I'm curious about more of the situation. From my experience, taking in some types of food can make things want to come back up within 30 minutes, but making it want to go out the back way has been more making sure to go before the run and also what I've been eating for awhile beforehand. Eating non-run foods can be fine. A big thing for using the "specialty" stuff is for convenience. But I'm not sure it will fix things, especially with the wide variety of products tried already. I could be misunderstanding what was said too.

Also, if the logs are up to date, I'm seeing a few runs a week fairly regular for a couple months. But it's no more than a few and they total under 20 miles a week. I think a 9 mile run is still going to be a challenge even after the original issue is taken care of. Do keep working on that first issue though, it's very hard to run with that going on!

2014-06-13 8:08 AM

User image

Miami
I don't have I issues very often, so I tried many different products and stick with those that I like the most. However, there are few products that I had and didn't sit well on my stomach. One of them is GU gels, I have no idea why, but I had it once and I didn't feel good (maybe it was some other variable that made me feel sick, who knows). I use powerbar gels and I do not only like them more because they are more liquid than GUs, but also never had an issue with them.
2014-06-13 8:44 AM

Try Bonk Breakers. I am willing to tolerate GU, but Bonk Breakers sits better in my stomach.
2014-06-13 8:28 PM
in reply to: tjudson

User image

Veteran
another nod to infinit as a liquid alternative. The only side effect I have seen is minor. After, not during, but literally 15 mins after my workout I am RAVENOUSLY hungry regardless of how many calories I have taken in. a few bites of real food and it subsides.

I goofed and ordered 2 bags of orange... I'm a little over orange after 1.5 bags.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run nutrition that doesn't give the s?$!ts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running doesn't get easier......

Started by nc452010
Views: 1571 Posts: 17

2010-08-31 1:29 PM browncd

Running doesn't seem to be getting any easier?

Started by nc452010
Views: 3374 Posts: 14

2010-05-05 7:45 AM Scout7

Running hard doesn't leave me breathless

Started by So Fresh So Clean
Views: 1053 Posts: 15

2009-12-19 7:03 PM So Fresh So Clean

Give me one good reason not to give up on zone training Pages: 1 2

Started by CindyK
Views: 1525 Posts: 30

2006-07-02 10:55 PM Steve-

Giving up on running and triathlon because I can't run Pages: 1 2

Started by steven
Views: 2969 Posts: 41

2004-04-20 9:19 AM steven
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 8, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.

date : December 4, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on strength training, juicing, Ironman run nutrition issues, getting more protein as a lacto-ovo vegetarian and whey protein usage.
date : August 20, 2008
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : May 21, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition, hydration and pacing for the swim, bike and run of an olympic distance triathlon.
date : October 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Many of us race, and some race a lot, but when was the last time you gave something back to the sport of triathlon?

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.