Sun Multisport Events
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 21m 7s
Overall Rank = 15/27
Age Group = RELAY TEAMS
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Well, after only 4 hours of sleep in the crappiest hotel imaginable (Extended Stay America - OMG) where I had to put the TV on to drown out sex noises/blasting music/smoke smell to finally fall asleep at 12AM for a 4AM wakeup, things started going pretty well. Besides the fact that the television I had turned on was OFF when I woke up (so f'n creepy...) I slept well for that 4 hours. Because this facility was equipped for an 'extended stay', it had a microwave. I heated up my pre-mixed oatmeal with dried fruits, nuts and maple sugar. Yum. I didn't even mind the funky smelling water I had to add. I made coffee in the questionable little machine and had two cups with powdered creamer and real (!) sugar. Whatta' treat. This all means, however, that I approximated my normal wake-up food. Which is a good thing. I was off by about 5 minutes when leaving the hell hole and I ended up being about 15 minutes late to meet my beautiful team mates. They were pretty gracious about it but my mind was clearly scattered. I needed help doing the most minor mental tasks, like turning left when walking.
Event warmup:

The warm-up was realizing that someone who's longest bike ride this year was 26 miles who is about to do a 56 mile bike should probably stay as still as possible. I met a bunch of amazing chicks who tri for LIFE, man. These ladies are the bomb. One even has a tri-ing RV and most of them have pretty intimidating equipment. I was in the presence of greatness. Oh, and I jogged the ins-and outs of the transition area and took some pretty sweet pictures of my bike with our team name - FEMME FATALES.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 2112 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Relay, Dude. Totes easy. Put that timing chip on me and here I go, Sucka's! THRILLED that the timing chip was on rubbery material. I think I still have the scar from the timing chip 2 years ago that grinded into my soul - and infected it with tri-fever, Son.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Kudos to Patriot for not shredding many layers of my skin only to have non-recognition of the fact that I am cooler than that baseball guy. Can you say, broken toe, nerve damage AND bloody sock? Eat it, Mr.Baseball man. No, I don't even know his name. Too busy sporting to watch him sporting. Sorry, sports fans.
Bike
  • 3h 24m 28s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I was in nearly the top gear for almost the whole ride. Equipment does make a difference for the bike - so I'm happy with my results. I'd love to ride a more tri-specific bike someday just to see what a difference it would make but for now I'm grateful for my 5 year old used $800 wonder <3

Possibly train more, but in reality this is as good as it gets in our family set up. I'm grateful to be a part-of. Period.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Relay transitions rule. Kelli took my timing chip off and ran away like the freakin' champ she is.

Nothing. Relay 4-EVAH!
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down included me realizing I couldn't put any weight on my right foot. Hm. Thanks, nerve damage and old badly healed broken toe. I got the broken toe from my bike trainer trying to train for THIS race. Yeesh. Within 5 minutes I could put weight on it again. Then I put on sneakers and had to go through this process again. I realized the 'finish' fro me in a relay is VERY anti-climactic. No medals, pats, water bottles, we towels. Nope. But a VERY sweet text from the hubbs who was following me on line! Sorry, bike - course dude, no course stalking can compare with my man ;)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training opportunities were sparse but I must say I made the most of them and used my head by readjusting my 'difficulty barometer' by riding only hills the week before.

Event comments:

Patriot Half Iron-distance totally rules the schoolyard. I just love it. Amazing job again, Patriot. The timing chips were a GREAT improvement. I loved the hats we got 2 years ago better than the swag from this year but that is a very minor thing. Also, it's summer - so short-sleeve shirts next time, K? <3 XO XO XO XO <---for you, Patriot, some PDA. BOOM.

Last updated: 2014-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2112 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/27
Performance:
Suit:
Course: I don't want to take credit for NAOMI FISHER's swim so I will fill in this part. She did it in 48:21 - amazing job, NAOMI!!!
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:24:28 | 56 miles | 16.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 14/27
Performance: Good
I think my first 28 mile lap was 1 hour 7 minutes. That blows my mind. I feel like a superhero now and no one can take that away from me ;)
Wind: with gusts
Course: 2 28-mile loops (inclusive of passing the finish line in a soul-crushing moment of ' I have to do that AGAIN?!!!). Leap-frogged with the same four or so folks so many times I think we are BFF's now. Especially the dude who assured me he 'is not stalking me' and that he was 'using me as a pacer' and that 'triathlon is such a lonely sport even thought it was other people'. I think it was our first date since my wedding ring was covered by glove-age. Casey seems OK with it. Another racer, a lady, had another reaction to this phenomenon. We just cracked up every time we saw one another again. The last time I saw her - if I knew it would be the last time I would not have sang, "Hello, Again My Friend" (Neil Diamond) because she didn't laugh and now it just seems mean.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/27
Performance:
Course: I don't want to take credit for KELLI BERGSTROM's run so I will fill in this part. She did it in 2:05:17 - this is a time I could only DREAM of, and she did it after cheering for 4.5 hours or so!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-15 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon

2014-06-16 12:21 PM
in reply to: #5012461

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Triathlon
Nice job, Grace! Hope the toe is feeling better today.

Didn't realize you were back again. There were a few of us there on Friday night having dinner at the Fireside Grille (spot we hit last time) and it was fun.

Next year you need to go back and take on the full again!

Mike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 3866 Posts: 19

2011-07-07 11:54 AM Dream Chaser

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by BradyFinney
Views: 1916 Posts: 4

2011-06-19 7:45 PM Rudedog55

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by FlyTheBlueSky
Views: 2938 Posts: 14

2012-05-01 1:41 PM gcoller

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2728 Posts: 15

2011-06-20 6:17 PM trix

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by Joe84
Views: 1623 Posts: 2

2011-06-19 12:48 PM natethomas2000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 16, 2010
author : Al1978
comments : 4
From the couch to a half Ironman the hard way.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.