General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to OWS near Brevard Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-16 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: Where to OWS near Brevard

I'm moving to Brevard, NC later this summer.  I'm super excited to be able to trail run to my heart's content, but I'm concerned about where to open water swim.  Can anyone tell me where I'm going to be able to continue my open water swim training? 

I'd also like to know if my tri bike is going to be impossible to ride because of the steep hills?  Am I going to be able to find hills that will work with my bike's gearing?

2014-06-19 3:17 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Where to OWS near Brevard
Jump in the French Broad it will be your very own endless pool!

Brevard is an awesome place. I'm sure you'll find something.
2014-07-29 5:49 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Originally posted by jfought

I'm moving to Brevard, NC later this summer.  I'm super excited to be able to trail run to my heart's content, but I'm concerned about where to open water swim.  Can anyone tell me where I'm going to be able to continue my open water swim training? 

I'd also like to know if my tri bike is going to be impossible to ride because of the steep hills?  Am I going to be able to find hills that will work with my bike's gearing?

You probably already have these other ideas, but just in case.... there's Lake Dense or Lake Julia in DuPont; Cascade Lake and Lake Powhatan (pretty small lakes, small fee, but an idea if you are desperate); Lake Lure; Biltmore Lake if you know someone who lives in that Asheville-area neighborhood; and possibly somewhere on Lake Summit in Henderson County?

Lake James State Park is about 1.5 hours from Brevard but good for a day trip - beautiful park with lots of open water. The Asheville Tri Club hosts Wednesday night swims at Lake Logan, although it's a bit of a haul from Brevard.

There are a lot of hills around Brevard, but also a lot of flat routes, believe it or not. The Blue Ridge Bicycle Club has reasonable membership fees and a huge database of local rides, including many for Brevard and Pisgah Forest, some with hills, some with very little elevation change, depending on what you want. I love riding in Brevard/Rosman on my recovery days because of some of the flat, scenic routes along the river.

I use a road bike since I also do a lot of the "tours" in the region and can't afford two bikes. I'm sure you can get by with the tri bike, but most bikes I see around here at races are road bikes with clip-on aero bars if needed. I'm definitely not an expert on that one though! My bike is 2x10 (50-34 in front and 34-11 in back) and it works for me a slower cyclist :-)
2014-07-31 9:04 PM

I can't help out with Brevard, however , if you ever come through Greensboro, NC we have open water swim nights at some local lakes. Good Luck in your move :-) its a beautiful area your moving to!
2014-08-08 7:27 PM
in reply to: Jenheaslip

User image

Veteran
Candler, North Carolina
Originally posted by Jenheaslip

Biltmore Lake if you know someone who lives in that Asheville-area neighborhood;

I live at Biltmore Lake.
2014-08-10 9:26 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by eppie 2014-08-10 9:28 PM

2014-08-13 5:25 PM
in reply to: paragon

New user
Western North Carolina
Originally posted by JerryO1968

Originally posted by Jenheaslip

Biltmore Lake if you know someone who lives in that Asheville-area neighborhood;

I live at Biltmore Lake.

Nice lake!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to OWS near Brevard Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running shop you would recommend in/near Cary

Started by louiskie
Views: 1237 Posts: 7

2009-01-10 4:16 PM Tri'nNC

OCS cycling time trial near Durham

Started by keyone
Views: 839 Posts: 2

2008-07-08 6:15 AM keyone

Cyclist hit in malicious attack near Jordan Lake

Started by keyone
Views: 1937 Posts: 8

2008-08-18 12:34 PM tri42

OWS practice in/near Cary?

Started by freer
Views: 1030 Posts: 4

2008-02-12 8:15 PM Tri'nNC

Off Road Duo's near Charlotte

Started by mrryde
Views: 833 Posts: 1

2007-08-08 10:14 AM mrryde
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.