General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Experience Using Garmin 310xt and Speed/Cadence Sensor Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-18 6:54 AM

User image

Philadelphia
Subject: Experience Using Garmin 310xt and Speed/Cadence Sensor
Good morning all. There is lots of good information regarding watches and bike computers on the site, which I have sifted through. However, I wanted to ask a question regarding a specific setup to see how users of that setup like it.

I am thinking about buying a Garmin 310xt, mounting it on my bike, and pairing it with a Garmin speed/cadence sensor. That way, I can use Trainer Road and virtual power on the trainer, but also have the necessary statistics available when riding outdoors, and also be able to download data. I’d use the 310xt for running and swimming as well, but for training it will be my dedicated bike computer. I have used a Garmin 405 Forerunner for running for years and will continue to train with it.

For those who use the 310xt and Garmin sensor setup, I’ve read that the Garmin speed/cadence sensor will break if it gets wet, is this true? Is there a way to prevent it? What has been your experience?

Also, even though I’d buy the 310xt new, the model itself is approaching 5 years old. It’s $165 on Amazon versus $399 for the 910xt, and I’d love to hear thoughts on whether I should take the plunge with a unit that is slightly older. On one hand, I want to be able to train with reasonably up to date methods (using available data, wireless technology, instant feedback, and such) but on the other hand, I don’t have a very deep budget.

Thank you so much.

2014-06-18 7:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Experience Using Garmin 310xt and Speed/Cadence Sensor
My cadence\speed sensor has been in down pours many of times. It's still working.

I had the 310 and upgraded to the 910 because I wanted the lap swim feature. You can still use the 310 in OWS. Tuck it in the back of your swim cap.

Love Trainerroad. Just wish they had something for the iPad.

Edited by GAUG3 2014-06-18 7:19 AM
2014-06-18 7:21 AM
in reply to: niceguy542006

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a 310 and 910

I have never had problems with the speed/cadence sensor, but then again I don't do a lot of riding in the rain.

From a functional perspective, the biggest difference between the 310 and 910, for me, is the swim metrics.
The 910 is a bit thinner as well. I never found the 310 too big, but when I wear it now, I notice it's thicker.

I would say if swim metrics are not important, go the 310 route.
I also believe the 310 is a better quality unit. This is based on having 2 310s and multiple 910s. The 910s were all replaced under warranty

I lost a 310 with quick release on the swim. I would never use the quick release again.

2014-06-18 7:38 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I bought a 310 at Christmas and while I liked the swim metric option, price was the biggest factor for me. I was able to get a 310 and a speed/ cadence sensor for less $ combined than the 910 would have cost. If you are trying to save a bit of money, then I think this is a good option.
2014-06-18 8:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hamden, CT
I have a speed/cadence on both my road & tri bike, Haven't had issues with them working when speed/cadence gets wet but I haven't had that happen a whole lot. A couple drizzles, one downpour, and a lot of bike washes.

Edited by VeggieTriGirl 2014-06-18 8:31 AM
2014-06-18 8:48 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by niceguy542006

Good morning all. There is lots of good information regarding watches and bike computers on the site, which I have sifted through. However, I wanted to ask a question regarding a specific setup to see how users of that setup like it.

I am thinking about buying a Garmin 310xt, mounting it on my bike, and pairing it with a Garmin speed/cadence sensor. That way, I can use Trainer Road and virtual power on the trainer, but also have the necessary statistics available when riding outdoors, and also be able to download data. I’d use the 310xt for running and swimming as well, but for training it will be my dedicated bike computer. I have used a Garmin 405 Forerunner for running for years and will continue to train with it.

For those who use the 310xt and Garmin sensor setup, I’ve read that the Garmin speed/cadence sensor will break if it gets wet, is this true? Is there a way to prevent it? What has been your experience?

Also, even though I’d buy the 310xt new, the model itself is approaching 5 years old. It’s $165 on Amazon versus $399 for the 910xt, and I’d love to hear thoughts on whether I should take the plunge with a unit that is slightly older. On one hand, I want to be able to train with reasonably up to date methods (using available data, wireless technology, instant feedback, and such) but on the other hand, I don’t have a very deep budget.

Thank you so much.

I have this set up, but I use it for all three disciplines. I'm very happy with it for all of them and see no reason whatsoever to spend $400 for a slightly better version of the same watch. I use the speed sensor for trainer road too and it works very well, and I'm really happy with the new feature trainer road added that will send the power back to your head unit, that's a nice bonus, so no more downloading the trainer road workouts and reuploading them to wherever if you want to save the power data.
It is not true that the speed sensor will die in the rain. I've been in several wet rides and it's still working fine. Yes, the electronics in it can be damanged, but thats why there are rubber washers at all the joints. Just make sure they're screwed tightly after you have it set up properly and it'll be fine.
I've had it for two years now and it works great, no issues at all.

2014-06-18 8:54 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Philadelphia
That's great, thank you. I appreciate your feedback! Now it's time for training, and I'm looking forward to finally having some metrics to work with as opposed to going by feel as in the past.

2014-06-18 9:39 AM

User image

New user

I've used the 310xt with cadence in all conditions with no issues. Great tool. If you only want to measure swimming in the pool you could just purchase the 310xt and a Swimovate Poolmate watch for about $95 which measures laps, times, stroke, etc. and still save a substantial sum overall.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Experience Using Garmin 310xt and Speed/Cadence Sensor Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin speed -cadence sensor question

Started by amd723
Views: 2032 Posts: 15

2012-11-22 4:22 AM GatorDeb

Garmin FR305 - multiple speed/cadence sensors?

Started by wbattaile
Views: 1085 Posts: 3

2012-11-05 12:34 AM wbattaile

Help with Garmin Forerunner 301 - cadence/speed sensor

Started by Ybeal
Views: 1178 Posts: 4

2012-02-21 9:44 AM BernardDogs

Garmin speed/cadence sensor

Started by menglo
Views: 1062 Posts: 6

2011-01-13 9:49 AM dcrainmaker

310xt w garmin cadence sensor setup

Started by trix
Views: 3751 Posts: 18

2010-02-08 11:09 AM coltank17
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.