TBF Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 56s
Overall Rank = 59/77
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

I rode the bike over from the campground and filled out the USAT application. Got body marked and headed into transition and set up my spot. Once set up I walked back to camp.
Drank my usual instant breakfast and then ate a few potato chips.

Event warmup:

I nearly missed my wave start. While back in camp I was not wearing a watch and time got away from me. When I did check the clock it was 7:57! My heat started at 8:05, I still didn't have my wetsuit on, and I was a 5 minute walk from the water. I pulled the suit on up to my waist and took off running for transition (where I had left my goggles, cap, and ear plugs). As I was running I heard the start of wave 1 at 8:00. I ran into transition and grabbed the things I needed for the swim and ran through the entrance to transition, carefully avoiding crossing the timing mat. As I was running down to the beach I got both arms into the suit but didn't have the suit pulled up over my shoulders to give me as free a range of motion as I'd like. I looked around as my wife ran up and I had her help me zip the suit. As I wadded into the water I got the goggles and swim cap on. I put the ear plugs in while the 10 second countdown was going and tried to pull the sleeves up some more. Then the gun went off and I hit my 910 start button.
Swim
  • 28m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started dead last in my wave of around 30 swimmers. I went into the water having not checked my goggles or ear plugs and without a swim warm up. I put my head down and just started swimming like I practice. When I found myself feeling like I was going too fast I slowed down and focused on my form to bring it all back into focus. As I focused on going my own pace I caught and passed quite a few swimmers from my wave (red caps). I passed a few swimmers from the first wave (white caps) at about halfway through my swim. Just before I reached the second turn buoy the first swimmer from wave 3 caught me (wow was he fast) After rounding the last buoy the second "yellow cap" caught me. I tried to draft off of him a bit but he was still too fast for me. The third one went by and that was the last person to pass me on the swim. I came out of the water 2nd of 9 in my age group and 10th out of 28 in my wave.
What would you do differently?:

Be ready at the start and get my suit on properly. The lack of easy mobility in the shoulders made my shoulders tired by the end.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 23m 19s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.90 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went well, but I'm quite slow for my age group. many who I passed in the swim passed me on the bike. I took 3 gels on the bike. One a couple miles in. The second at around 30 minutes in, and the third just after the 1 hour mark.

Just train more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Run
  • 1h 01m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out a bit too fast. first mile was around 9:00 pace and I was shooting for 9:30. By the last 2 miles I was feeling pretty wasted. I was feeling a side stitch coming on and I slowed down to prevent it hitting me full. Part of my mind actually though "it would be easier to just swim across the lake than finish this run". My last mile was in the range of 10:30. I was toast. There was nothing left when I crossed the line.

Need to get my nutrition and pacing dialed.
Post race
Warm down:

walked/stumbled over to a shady spot and pretty much collapsed on the grass.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition and pacing. Training on the bike.

Event comments:

A good venue for my first Olympic.

Last updated: 2014-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:26 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 30/77
Performance: Good
Suit: Synergy Adrenaline
Course: wading/treading water start next to the swim beach area. Straight out from shore past 2 orange sighting buoys then on to a white triangular buoy. Right turn and follow another long leg parallel to the far shoreline past another 2 orange sighting buoys to the last white triangle buoy. Right turn then straight on in to shore passing more orange sighting buoys and exiting at the swim finish arch about 100 yards down the shoreline from the start.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:23:19 | 24.85 miles | 17.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 63/77
Wind:
Course: Out and back along the park road and then onto hwy 104. A little vehicle traffic, but the drivers were careful as they passed. CHP monitored for safety. Roads in the park were ok, a little rough. Several speed bumps to cross. Areas with many small round pavement markers near pedestrian areas in the park also. Once onto hwy 104 the pavement is very rough, but very few potholes for several miles. Some low rolling hills but no big climbs. Then the pavement gets very smooth for several miles. Turnaround is very tight in the middle of the roadway, but well manned by volunteers warning riders in advance.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:01:00 | 06.2 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 58/77
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly out and back on fire roads, a little pavement, and some single track. Little to no shade anywhere.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-19 1:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA
Subject: Tri for Real Triathlon #1

2014-06-20 5:36 AM
in reply to: #5014540

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Tri for Real Triathlon #1
Congratulations!! I would of been freaking out getting to the swim that late, you managed to pull it all together and do well! As far as your bike I will take that speed any day!! I think you did great!!
2014-06-24 5:03 AM
in reply to: #5014540

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I love that you were scrambling around at the start.  It kind of sounds like me at several of my races.  During one of last year's sprint races I took my wetsuit off and then put it back on at the last minute and I felt rushed.  I took it off because the RD said the water was too warm only to be corrected right after I pulled my last leg out of the suit.

Anyway, it's likely that all of that running around elevated your HR into a more ideal starting position than beginning at something closer to your resting HR.  When it's possible, and most times it's not, having a HR that's already elevated is better.  Your body is already beginning to flood your system with more oxygen and increased blood flow to those muscles.  If you're coming in cold you're starting from scratch, so to speak, and your body seems to resist more intensely.

Overall you seem to have had a few struggles at this race and with a little bit of work.  Your fitness should have been alright so maybe nutrition was the x factor.  Taking all of your nutrition on the bike may have contributed to the crash during the run.  I would have suggested taking a gel about halfway through the bike, the end of the bike and them again about 2 miles into the run.

Even with the struggles I feel you had a decent race.  Racing can be difficult to do when you have to add nutrition into the mix.  If in't not dialed in it can really provide a bad experience.

Good job staying with the race and keeping your efforts as high as what you were able to maintain.

2015-06-22 5:05 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Anyone doing the Tri For Real # 2 this weekend at Rancho Seco? If you are, are you camping? If you are camping would you let a grandma triathlete and her daughter and grandson share some space? I know, Iknow my lack of planning is no one's emergency but I was just hoping...

Thanks,
Cynthia
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Real Triathlon #1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TRI for Real Triathlon #2

Started by norcal_SAHD
Views: 1255 Posts: 2

2011-07-11 3:23 PM brick94513

The Oympic Distance Tri for Real Triathlon

Started by darrencain
Views: 1078 Posts: 1

2009-06-12 12:34 PM darrencain

Started by rottiedog
Views: 1002 Posts: 1

2009-06-11 11:42 PM rottiedog

Started by kt65
Views: 1829 Posts: 11

2009-06-19 8:38 AM Slahmmer

TRI-For-REAL Triathlon 3

Started by madkat
Views: 1527 Posts: 4

2006-08-24 9:14 PM cadreamer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
"What are the current ideas on supplements for the triathlete?" This article will give you some real food options for many of the important nutrients.

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !