http://psychowyco.com/
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and filled King Suite Jetted Tub at the Lawrence Motel with nice hot water.
Dressed for race and put on sunscreen. High Humidity had me sweating just packing the car.
Loaded car completely since leaving Motel and headed to Mom's after race.
Got to Venue and picked up packed by 7:35. Just a little later than planned but no biggee because I use a Race Number Belt- a real lifesaver vs wrestling with pins on race day mornings.
Miffed they only had XS and S Shirts left. Later thought I would ask for small one for my daughter at end of Race.
Event warmup:

Stretching and easing about. Lined up near back of pack, but still had to let a good number of folks past me in the first 15minutes to ease down to my pace.
Run
  • 8h 37m 35s
  • 31.1 miles
  • 16m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Paced well in first half of race despite not knowing where I was, nor things like there was an extra 2.1mile loop tacked on at the end of each larger loop.
Despite thinking all day that surely someone must have paced better and would catch me, no one did.
I began to catch folks at single staffed Aid Station on 2nd loop and passed I'd say 6 either resting at Aid Station or in 10mins after.
A couple I later learned was from Oregon was pacing well, and it took a while for me to pass them. But the gal was clearly suffering from the heat, and despite boyfriend cajoling her to come on was stopping to walk regularly from over-effort.
I continued to walk when trail was rocky, and run when clear and finally passed them... saying to them "...Sometimes slowing down and finishing beats all...", and that we were "...All toast from the heat..."
About 20mins later, after having rounded another of the many hillsides along the lakefront I was down in a ravine that went inland to a stream crossing, when I caught a leaf-covered rock and stumbled forward, immediately catching another rock with my other foot and falling to the ground and rolling with a yell.
Folks I had been catching already across the ravine asked if I was alright. I immediately said yeeeees in a low sing-song-y voice, but that it was disappointing.
I had wrenched my pelvis, spine, and shoulders, my right knee was bruised and bleeding, right ankle slightly twisted, my left instep/lis-franc was strained and my right wrist was injured. Geez! It was so bad and I was so mad I didn't think of it as a low point to manage (as I had been thinking about frequently throughout the race already), I thought of it as game over. As I stood and assessed, I took off the headphones and calculated I could actually finish within the cutoff, but not by much.
I tried to remember what the Start/Finish Aid Station folks had said about the small extra loop at the end of each larger loop. Was it 1.7miles? I hoped so, as I was going to be cutting it close at my now survival shuffle-walk pace. Toes hurt the most, and running was out. I moved so slowly the 3 folks I was about to catch were gone in less than a minute, but no one caught me for about another 10mins. And when they did they reported not hearing me yell.
I had also remembered the gal early in the race while walking a very steep section saying that poison oak and ivy was everywhere, so I was sure, from the fall and roll that I was covered in it. I even began to lament driving 2 hours to my Mom's near Wichita in an un-air-conditioned car rather than staying in Lawrence. I was a down bound train for a solid 3 miles. I was 'making an effort' to move forward, but very disappointed at not having a time for 50K from which I could extrapolate further on my Ultra journey.
I decided I would use the time of the couple that passed me back about 10mins after the Fall. But I was still injured and hot, and I thought covered in Poison Oak and Ivy and couldn't run blah blah blah.
The thing that fully snapped me out of it was the Start/Finish Aid Station and realizing I COULD actually finish in the cut-off if I hurried. That 'new challenge' got me going mentally, and although I was still injured and walk-shuffling at least I switched my mindset towards finishing if I could within the cutoffs.
I really did go 'as fast as I could' and did the 2.1mile loop in about 35minutes.
Ironically, I finished at almost EXACTLY the time predicted by my performance to 27.3 miles at the Prairie Spirit 50mile (before the crazy blisters came in that race). BTW, back to no blisters ever in the last few weeks including runs and racing on the Greenland 8mile course, and this 50K.
What would you do differently?:

NOT FALL. But the leaf-covered sections, where the trail went away from lake-facing hillsides down into ravine before coming back out on top or back out to hillsides, were very dangerous for exactly what happened to me. Even the winner of the 50k fell.
Probably not doing this course again.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate Hot Dog and Potato Salad. Eased to Car, then drove down to Aid Station to get Drop Box. Then Lawrence to Aquatic Center for Shower, which they gave me for free!
Center closed while I was drying off due to Thunderstorms, and in fact when I drove out of Lawrence the radio said "Golf ball sized hail over Perry" from where i had just come, and "Hen Egg sized hail along I-70 from between Mile Marker 185 and 200 while I was at 191! "Oh so that's why all the folks are under the overpasses" I thought, but I drove in only some rain which was gone before Topeka. And made it to Mom's before dark.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really did well, pacing, and of course Aid Station, and for warm conditions and crazy uneven terrain I'd never been on, until falling and injuring myself.
PS 9 days later STILL have poison ivy or oak on the arm I fell onto and ground it into, on my other leg, even on my face over one eye. Ugh.
Also toes have really suffered and a total of 7 are still black9 days later, and really only stopped hurting badly the next weekend.
It was a 'Good Race' despite the 'bad' course, until it really really wasn't.

Event comments:

Just a bad venue for running really.
Amazingly, no trail here, even rugged Palmer Park, is so UN-runnable. By comparison they are smooth and almost super-highway like but still trails with plenty of 'action', twists and turns, up and down, scenery etc. Makes me think we should have more races on the Trails right here.
No Shirts, No Stickers, No 'Race Specific Mug' as pictured on Website. Just a generic "Trail Nerds" mug, which I pulled out a day later on the way back to Colo, thinking "Well at least I got a Race mug...", only to find, much to my disappointment it was only an advertisement for the Running Club.
However have received email that Stickers will be mailed. And that some provision is being considered for Shirts. I will contact them with the offer of paying postage.
In the same regard as my new slogan at work being "Bad design will ruin your life", as in it is hard to overcome being jammed 65 folks in a room in cubes, or not having enough staff to take care of both inside and drive-through customers leading to 100% turnover in branches where folks had been there 12 and 13 and 16 years, Bad running Courses cannot be fully overcome with any amount of enthusiasm by great volunteers. So It goes.

Last updated: 2014-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
08:37:35 | 31.1 miles | 16m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: WAY Rocky, pretty bad venue actually, multi-loop course. Realized immediately why folks reported falling 5-7 times during Fall Race when Rock are leaf-covered. Also immediately adopted the 'look only down' strategy, and 'run when you can, walk the rest of the time' strategy. I did not see emails sent during race week as I was working in KC not at home, so did not know distances that were posted in emails. But I got water when I came to a water station, and the single Aid Station out on the course told me their distance... actually they weren't sure either, but said for instance they were at either 19 or 21miles on the second loop. Still, it all worked out. I probably 'over-drank' but at the warmest it was 89 officially as reported in Ozawkie just a few miles North. Then clouds rolled in and it was 83, with 55% Humidity when I finished. The saving grace was no one else was acclimated to the early season heat either.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2014-06-22 10:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
Subject: Rock On, Lake Perry!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock On, Lake Perry! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Coopers Rock 10K RUN THE ROCK

Started by neweyes
Views: 1125 Posts: 1

2011-03-28 7:14 PM neweyes

Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon

Started by luv2ride
Views: 1880 Posts: 9

2005-07-01 8:04 AM scuba-punk

Loveland Lake to Lake Pages: 1 2

Started by COgirl
Views: 1874 Posts: 28

2005-06-27 8:59 PM jkbostic

Loveland Lake-to-Lake

Started by kimj81
Views: 1981 Posts: 25

2005-06-28 2:01 PM drewb8

Lake to Lake Tri

Started by joeinco
Views: 1398 Posts: 22

2005-06-28 9:15 AM luv2ride
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.