General Discussion Race Reports! » Riviera Beach Singer Island Triathlon #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Riviera Beach Singer Island Triathlon #1 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Riviera Beach, Florida
United States
Multirace
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 22s
Overall Rank = 101/237
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Standard stuff here: up ass early (3:30) to walk the dog, pull myself together, load the bikes and make the roughly hour drive to the site. Ate a bagel and drank diet coke along the way.
Event warmup:

None. Mark and I had to get our packets, so first we stood in line to do that. Then I flagged down the bike fix it guy b/c when I was putting air in the back tire, the valve stem thingy snapped off. The air stayed in the tire, but I was not convinced it would remain intact. Plus, it had to be changed anyway, so why not have someone else do it for me?
Peter was there by then, so we all set off to check out the swim. It was a long walk from transition to the water's edge, so I guess that was the warm up.
Found the bathrooms to take care of things and then made it back down to the start.
One of the great things about this venue was the bathrooms. They were real bathrooms that were clean, air conditioned and had plenty of TP. Yay!!
Swim
  • 09m 58s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

The ocean was absolutely gorgeous for this race! Tide was out - though starting to come in by the time I started, so you could practically walk to the first bouy! The water was pretty flat, but was picking up a little chop with the incoming tide. The water was low 80's and crystal clear. You can't ask for much better than this!!
Too bad swimming and I are not on that great of terms, because this would have been a perfect swim opportunity :)

This was a small race, so there were only 3 waves and, as usual, I was in the last wave with all the other women and relay people. Because of the low tide, most people did a lot of walking to start the swim. I did my fair share and then decided that was dumb and to get moving. For some reason, I started right in the middle of the pack, so there was a lot of bumping and people swimming zig zaggy in front of me. When I got to the bouy I was in the thick of it which meant I got stopped dead by all the other women who don't know how to swim around a bouy. Everyone just came to a stop. It was like we were all bobbing up and down like huge corks! I don't understand why this happens!!! If I actually had a decent swim I guess I'd be with those that know how to make it around the bouy without stopping. But since I am never with those fish, I usually try to stay out wide to avoid this mess. So, this was a tactical error on my part.
We finally made it around the buoy and I started swimming next to another woman. A third woman tried to swim b/w the two of us, but she wasn't fast enough to actually get through. So instead she just annoyed the hell out of me by hitting my legs and otherwise crowding me. In the past I would move over to give her room, but I decided I wasn't going to be that nice this race, so I moved closer to the other swimmer and did a couple of non-contact hard kicks to move the annoyer off. It worked.
My heart rate whenever I start any race is always sky high. During a HM or other running race that is not such a big deal, but in a tri it makes me feel like I might drown. Not such a great feeling. It doesn't matter if I get in the water and warm up first or not, I always have it. So, the first 150-200 yards suck ass and it takes me out of my normal crappy swim and creates an even crappier swim. This race was no different. Thankfully, I do eventually settle down. Of course, with such a short swim, there isn't much time to make up for any deficiency.
According to my garmin, even with swimming what I thought was a direct line, I still swam almost 50 yards extra! At least that makes my pace look a little less pathetic!!
What would you do differently?:

I need to figure out what type of swim I want - the more direct line race with contact and annoying swimmers or the take it to the outside for clear water, but swim further kind of race.
I also need to learn to enjoy this part of the race. I grew up in the water, so I am really comfortable in it, but racing, not so much.
Transition 1
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

This was actually faster than I thought it would be as it was a really long run through very soft sand to get to transition. Lots of people just walked it, but I ran it because I wanted to be done with it as soon as possible!
On the way into T1 i grabbed a cup of water and used it to rinse off my feet. Pretty brilliant move on my part ;)

I think I moved pretty quickly for me. My transitions always seem like I've taken time to make a sandwich, so all things considered, this wasn't bad. In fact it was better than more than 100 other racers. So, I'm taking it!
Bike
  • 30m 30s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I am pretty pleased with this bike! I have not put a lot of time on the bike and when I have my pace has barely broken 17 mph. So, this was very nice and more in keeping with what I'm used to. Of course, it was only 10 miles :)

The course took us into a state park -ocean on one side, intercoastal on the other. Not too shabby!

Immediately out of T!, a woman passed me and I decided to follow her. I made sure to keep everything legal, but tried to stay in the legal draft zone. Basically, I was using her as my pace bike. This seem to have worked well. We passed a lot of people on the course. It was during this period that I realized how many women were faster than me in the swim! I can't believe how many I had to pass and how many I was still passing at the end of the ride, which means they were really way ahead on the swim. And there were lots that were already on the run! Really, my swim is pathetic!!!
We had a turn around at about mile 4 and then went passed transition and headed a west and over the intercoastal. That meant crossing the causeway. It is quite steep. Causeways are Florida hills. I felt pretty good heading up and passed the woman I had tracked to this point. Got to the top and tried to really open it up for the decent. Unfortunately, as soon as you reached the bottom there was a u-turn and you headed back over the causeway. So, I couldn't go as fast as I would like. As it was, my u-turn was a bit wide b/c of speed.
On the other side, I figured I could let it rip as there was no u-turn. Unfortunately, a woman in front of me decided to ride right in the middle of the lane. I kept yelling on your left, but she kept ignoring me!!! So, I had to slow way down and when I got right up to her I was able to get her move over.

Nothing really, I am happy with this effort. I do wish they had a bit better traffic control b/c I almost had to completely stop 2 x on the course. Still, that is just a minor complaint. it was a gorgeous course and a good effort, i think.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

I had to put on socks, b/c I wear orthotics, and I forgot to put powder in the socks, so getting them on took a bit of effort!

Remember to powder the socks. Also, maybe for such short distances I can run without the orthotics? I wear zoots, so no socks would be great.
Run
  • 22m 59s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Woo Hoo!!! This was my best triathlon pace in a long time, actually ever! My first couple of seasons I'd run 8-8:15s and then last year I was hard pressed to hang on to 9's. I know I've been running well lately - thank you massage and yoga for fixing all the crap I had going on last year!!!! Still, this result was a nice surprise.

Right before hitting the causeway I checked my pace and saw 7:15. That was probably too fast, but I knew the causeway would take care of it, so I kept running. Right about then a woman came flying past me! Holy hell she was moving. I was really impressed until I realized that she was completely dry and fresh looking, so she was a relay person. I was still impressed with her speed - especially up the causeway, but a little less than before.
Just as I was getting to the top heading out, I saw Peter getting to the top heading back. He looked miserable and not the I've pushed the pace kind of miserable, but the something isn't right miserable. Turns our his calf starting cramping on the bike and stopped him from being able to push and on the run he cramped so much he had to stop a couple of times to stretch. He couldn't push off with that side which made the causeway a misery.
Anyway, back to me :) On the way up the causeway heading back I passed a woman who was walking. She was in my AG. She started running after I passed her and she passed me when we got to the bottom. Damn. She also put a little distance b/w us. I thought about following her, but decided that there was too much race left and I was already at the I'm close to puking stage, so I just watched her and kept my pace at a good level. I never checked what it was, just went by feel. After a bit, she started walking again, so I passed her again. As I passed her, she started running again and moved ahead of me again. Crap. Then she started walking again - I don't think she was doing intervals as I didn't hear any beeping, so I passed her again. This time she stayed passed!
Now we were about .75 from the end and I passed another woman who was walking. She was in my AG too. So, I just knew she would start to run when she saw me. I don't know if she did, because she never passed me. To make sure though, I picked things up just a bit thinking that would stop her from trying to pass me back. There was a turn up a head and I figured once I made it and she couldn't see me I could ease up before I threw up. Made the turn and realized it was only about .5 miles from the end, so I didn't ease up. I passed a few more people, thankfully not in my AG so i didn't have to worry about them :) , and we cheered each other on. Made a sprint to the finish line and managed not to toss my cookies!

Nothing. This effort allowed me to win my AG, so I can't complain about anything!
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish and grabbed a bottle of water. They had real time results and handed out individual times. Pretty cool. On the big board I saw I had won my AG! Woot Woot!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really need to swim better, but at this point I think that ship has sailed.

Event comments:

As Mark and I left transition with our stuff a woman stopped me and said something about me really putting the pedal to the metal on the run. I thanked her and then she grabbed my face and kissed me! Ha, ha that was quite the surprise! Never had that happen at a race.

The race was pretty small which I think may be b/c it is a new venue and b/c we have so many races to choose from in Florida. We are very lucky. I really think this is a fantastic venue (do you remember my bathroom description?!) and will do this one again.

Last updated: 2014-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:58 | 440 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 178/237
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Out about 50 yards to the turn bouy, take a left and swim about 340 yds, take a left at the next turn bouy and you're done!
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:04
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:30 | 10 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 120/237
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Right out of transition for about 4 miles to turn around then pass transition turning west and over the causeway. At the bottom of the causeway, turn around immediately and head back to transition.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:59 | 03 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 57/237
Performance: Good
Course: Almost as soon as you came out of transition, you hit the causeway. Like the bike, as soon as you got down the other side, you turned around and ran back up and then down. Then a right hand turn and into a nice beach neighborhood before making the way home.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-06-23 7:37 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: Riviera Beach Singer Island Triathlon #1

2014-06-23 8:10 AM
in reply to: #5016089

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Riviera Beach Singer Island Triathlon #1

Awesome job! Really cool that you were able to get everything moving after the swim and make up any lost ground.  And, as a bonus, you didn't toss your cookies.

2014-06-23 8:37 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Great job Ann-Marie, you nailed it. It doesn't matter as much if your swim sucks if you can pick it up on the bike and the run.
2014-06-23 9:39 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

AG WiN!!!!!   Awesomeness!  

CONGRATULATIONS!

2014-06-23 9:43 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, CO

Not only did you not drown, crash, or throw up, you took your AG.  Super, super race!!  Proud of you!!

2014-06-23 10:06 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks guys, it's amazing what a small race can do for your ego   I too am happy that I made all my pre-race goals!

2014-06-23 10:17 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Yay for no deathiness!! 

Holy crap, woman - you're freakin' FAST!  

Huge congrats on the AG win, and nice that you also got a little action afterwards!!  

2014-06-23 10:36 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice race!  Congrats on the speedy bike and awesome run! 

2014-06-23 11:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks Monica!  I decided to take a page from your book and make no deathiness my super secret goal   While I probably wouldn't have chosen that woman as someone I wanted a little action from, my philosophy is any port in a storm 

Edited by amd723 2014-06-23 11:21 AM
2014-06-23 11:22 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Nice race!  Congrats on the speedy bike and awesome run! 

Thanks Janyne, i'm quite happy with them! 

2014-06-23 11:38 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Congratulations, Ann-Marie!!  If you can pass people on the bike and run, it doesn't matter if you aren't the fastest on the swim.  Great job!

2014-06-23 3:07 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
AWESOME JOB!!

Freakin relay runners LOL

2014-06-23 3:16 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

1st in AG, yeeeeah, girl!!  Way to smoke it on the bike and especially the run!  Random kiss from stranger at the end = fodder for a great story!  Congrats on a superb race, it sounds like a beautiful venue.

2014-06-24 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So awesome that you passed so many on the bike and run to win your AG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dayum that was a fast run!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!

2014-06-24 2:32 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks everybody

2014-06-24 10:06 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssmokin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Was she cute?

2014-06-25 8:02 AM

, Alabama

That's a great race!  Way to use other competitors as motivation & keep up a hard pace w/o tossing your cookies!  Congrats.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Riviera Beach Singer Island Triathlon #1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Riviera Beach Triathlon at Singer Island

Started by gkuehnel
Views: 925 Posts: 1

2010-11-09 3:59 PM gkuehnel

Started by gieza0527
Views: 842 Posts: 1

2010-08-10 4:02 PM gieza0527

Started by gkuehnel
Views: 992 Posts: 1

2009-07-08 11:12 AM gkuehnel

Riviera Beach Triathlon Trilogy at Singer Island

Started by Bozman
Views: 898 Posts: 1

2008-08-04 9:11 AM Bozman

Riviera Beach Triathlon Trilogy at Singer Island

Started by debs
Views: 1652 Posts: 1

2008-06-08 10:44 AM debs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
One of the more impressive areas to spectate.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.