World Triathlon Corporation
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 31m 19s
Overall Rank = 1302/2500
Age Group = M 34-39
Age Group Rank = 169/277
Pre-race routine:

I got to the race sight at about 5:15 am. Transition was already open for about 45 minutes when I got there so there were already a lot of people on sight. I took my setting up all of my stuff. Since I had to check the bike the day before, there was less to worry about in the morning.
Event warmup:

They opened up a small square area, marked by buoys, inside the course for people to warm up. I took advantage of the time there swimming about a total of 10 minutes. I wanted to feel really loosened up and relaxed for my first open water swim of the year.
Swim
  • 40m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am really happy with this swim. My plan for this race was to treat it like it's an IronMan (with LP a month away). So I just wanted to do everything at IronMan pace, and that's exactly what I did in this swim. I stayed away from trouble throughout and just counted strokes. Every 10 stroke cycles, I'd look up and double check that I was on course. The water was perfect.
What would you do differently?:

I should be doing more OWS leading up to my races, just to be used to the feel of the wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 04m 47s
Comments:

It's a pretty long run from the water to transition. Fortunately there were wetsuit strippers at the edge of the water for us to use which made things easier. Again, I just took my time and relaxed.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.83 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a very, very tough bike course. The hills are relentless... long and steep. I know it sounds crazy to say this, but I think that, even at half the distance, this course demands more from you than Lake Placid does. This is simply a tough, tough course.

I stuck to my plan of treating this like it was an IronMan. I sat and spun up all of the hills and tried to cap my HR at about 150 or so. I definitely took advantage of the long descents throughout the course, flying down them at speeds of 40mph+.

Although I didn't cover this course is a very fast time, I am still very happy with how I did.
Transition 2
  • 03m 20s
Run
  • 2h 34m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This course is really hard. You start out in the park and you have to run on a mix of grass, asphalt, packed gravel, loose gravel, mulch and dirt. The changing surfaces makes it a little tough to get going. Once you're out on the roads thoug, things really get hard.

Again, I stuck to my plan of treating this HIM like it's Lake Placid. I walked every aid station and all of the hills... and there were many hells with hug climbs that made this course a huge challenge.

It started to get really hot while I was on the course so I began dumping water at every aid station over my head and squeezing the icy sponges on the back of my neck, that helped a lot. At about mile 7 I felt like I could use some more calories so I took some extra Gu and Bonk Breakers at the next aid station and an extra cup of perform. I'm not sure what caused it, but I started feeling nauseous at this point. I remember having the same feelings at Lake Placid in 2011 and when I experienced that I just took a break from eating and when I started up again, I only ate real food. I decided I would try to do that on this course. I skipped the next aid station and the one after that. At the next station, I had pretzels, coke and a banana and I started to actually feel really good. By mile ten I was feeling ok.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and tried to stay loose. I spoke to some friends and then headed back to the car to begin cleaning myself up and packing up for the 6 hour ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm slow

Last updated: 2013-10-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:30 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 138/277
Overall: 1056/2500
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Sprint Full Suit
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:08:29 | 56 miles | 17.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 155/277
Overall: 1075/2500
Wind: Some
Course: Huge one-loop 56 mile course. This is easily the hardest bike course I have ever been on in my life. A real challenge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:34:40 | 13.1 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 169/277
Overall: 1302/2500
Performance: Average
Course: Two loop course, really two out and backs. This is a tough one.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-24 8:14 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

2014-06-24 10:19 AM
in reply to: #5016696

User image

Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse
Great Job!!! Being a fellow Long Islander it is hard to duplicate any part of the run/bike course. That run course is the hardest I have ever done by far. There was not one enjoyable part to it. Excellent finish time.
2014-06-26 7:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Mike, another 70.3 in the books!  My only advice is you should've treated this more like an Ironman.  Yah know, use it as a training day to test out Ironman pace.  Next time maybe...  

Great Job you hunk of triathlete meat.  

Edited by Dream Chaser 2014-06-26 7:52 AM
2014-06-29 10:26 AM
in reply to: Dream Chaser

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Mike great job and great race on a pretty tough and challenging course. It was good to see you there and actually catch up to you on the run on the second loop. I think you did a great job being smart and pacing yourself in this race. Syracuse is definitely a good prep race for LP and you did a great job. I did exactly the same thing last year using this race as a walk through of IMWI and I thought it was a big help. Good luck at IMLP and it was good seeing you there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by smagoon
Views: 1861 Posts: 1

2010-09-20 10:50 AM smagoon

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by steves_training
Views: 2739 Posts: 3

2010-09-21 1:10 PM steves_training

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by k.stuttle
Views: 1715 Posts: 1

2010-09-20 8:08 AM k.stuttle

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by marcag
Views: 2646 Posts: 5

2010-09-23 8:29 AM aquagirl

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by ferious
Views: 1893 Posts: 2

2010-09-19 7:37 PM JBougher
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.