General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT rules on clothing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-27 10:58 PM

Subject: USAT rules on clothing
I am an active member of the consumer advocates for smoke free alternatives, one of the goes of this group is to improve the public awareness of these products and the good that they do. In my racing I have been able to speak with a lot of athletes about vaping and the good that it has done for me and my overall health and fitness. I was thinking about putting a patch on my tri top to try and reach out to more people but I am unsure on the rules. I can't find anything in the rule book so I thought I would ask here.

2014-06-28 12:15 PM
in reply to: soysos

Subject: RE: USAT rules on clothing
Nicotine is still a poison, diluted or not and the effects on the body do not change.----Vaping induces nicotine. It is not harmless. The best smoke free alternative is not to smoke or inhale such stuff.
2014-06-28 12:17 PM
in reply to: Billyk

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by Billyk

Nicotine is still a poison, diluted or not and the effects on the body do not change.----Vaping induces nicotine. It is not harmless. The best smoke free alternative is not to smoke or inhale such stuff.

That may be, but that doesn't even address his question.
2014-06-28 12:34 PM
in reply to: 0

What exactly does nicotine do to the body that caffeine doesn't? Nicotine is far from the most toxic substance in cigarettes, so by encouraging people who lack the will or drive to quit their habit by switching to less harmful alternatives will drastically improve their health in the long run. It may not be a perfect solution but for many like myself it was the only solution.

Edited by soysos 2014-06-28 12:37 PM
2014-06-28 12:41 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Not sure what you mean by "patch" on your tri top, but pretty sure you can put anything on your kit presuming it's not unsportsmanlike.

On the subject in general, you might find you're barking up the wrong tree with this audience.

2014-06-28 12:49 PM
in reply to: #5018648

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
At the last Oly I did there were a ton of people with some Michelob Tri suits. First of all, Michelob is disgusting... Second of all, nobody cared.

2014-06-28 1:20 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Originally posted by lisac957

Not sure what you mean by "patch" on your tri top, but pretty sure you can put anything on your kit presuming it's not unsportsmanlike.

On the subject in general, you might find you're barking up the wrong tree with this audience.

Unless CASAA decides to sponsor me I don't have the money to have my top printed so I was planing on putting a heat transfer onto a scrap of fabric and either sewing it on or pinning it.
2014-06-29 12:14 AM

CDC reported on 215 cases of liquid nicotine poisoning in e-smokes in Feb 2014 from one per month in 2010. Safe alternative? No evidence use of e-smoke makes tobacco smokers quit. No clinical studies proving the safety of e-smoke. Why would USAT allow such advertising on triathlon clothing?
2014-06-29 1:08 AM
in reply to: 0

CDC reported on 215 cases of liquid nicotine poisoning in e-smokes in Feb 2014 from one per month in 2010. Safe alternative? No evidence use of e-smoke makes tobacco smokers quit. No clinical studies proving the safety of e-smoke. Why would USAT allow such advertising on triathlon clothing?

and one death, it was an intentional suicide but I thought I would put that out there. what your missing here is that is less than 1/10th caffeine related poisonings poisonings, 1/1000th of asprine related poisonings, 1/10,000th Tylenol related poisonings, all of which have a significantly higher fatality rate. Nicotine is no more dangerous than any other over the counter drug.

as for its effectiveness as a smoking cessation too here is a study conducted by the University of East London School of Psychology.

Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) are battery operated devices that deliver nicotine via inhaled vapour. Few studies have evaluated acute effects on craving and mood, and none have explored effects on cognition. This study aimed to explore the effects of the White Super e-cigarette on desire to smoke, nicotine withdrawal symptoms, attention and working memory. Eighty-six smokers were randomly allocated to either: 18 mg nicotine e-cigarette (nicotine), 0mg e-cigarette (placebo), or just hold the e-cigarette (just hold) conditions. Participants rated their desire to smoke and withdrawal symptoms at baseline (T1), and five (T2) and twenty (T3) minutes after using the e-cigarette ad libitum for 5 min. A subset of participants completed the Letter Cancellation and Brown-Peterson Working Memory Tasks. After 20 min, compared with the just hold group, desire to smoke and some aspects of nicotine withdrawal were significantly reduced in the nicotine and placebo group; the nicotine e-cigarette was superior to placebo in males but not in females. The nicotine e-cigarette also improved working memory performance compared with placebo at the longer interference intervals. There was no effect of nicotine on Letter Cancellation performance. To conclude, the White Super e-cigarette alleviated desire to smoke and withdrawal symptoms 20 min after use although the nicotine content was more important for males. This study also demonstrated for the first time that the nicotine e-cigarette can enhance working memory performance. Further evaluation of the cognitive effects of the e-cigarette and its efficacy as a cessation tool is merited.

and this study in the International Journal of Clinical Medicine is a very good read, while the sample size is to small to be conclusive the results are promising and this study also shows why such a product is necessary. Two heavily addicted, severely depressed people who failed to quit with professional assistance.
http://www.endsmoking.org.nz/IJCMecigsDepressionJuly2011.pdf

Edited by soysos 2014-06-29 1:10 AM
2014-06-29 5:16 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

There aren't any rules against logos, etc on your clothes.  Keep your torso covered, though!

2014-06-29 4:31 PM

Originally posted by soysos

and one death, it was an intentional suicide but I thought I would put that out there. what your missing here is that is less than 1/10th caffeine related poisonings poisonings, 1/1000th of asprine related poisonings, 1/10,000th Tylenol related poisonings, all of which have a significantly higher fatality rate. Nicotine is no more dangerous than any other over the counter drug.

as for its effectiveness as a smoking cessation too here is a study conducted by the University of East London School of Psychology.

Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) are battery operated devices that deliver nicotine via inhaled vapour. Few studies have evaluated acute effects on craving and mood, and none have explored effects on cognition. This study aimed to explore the effects of the White Super e-cigarette on desire to smoke, nicotine withdrawal symptoms, attention and working memory. Eighty-six smokers were randomly allocated to either: 18 mg nicotine e-cigarette (nicotine), 0mg e-cigarette (placebo), or just hold the e-cigarette (just hold) conditions. Participants rated their desire to smoke and withdrawal symptoms at baseline (T1), and five (T2) and twenty (T3) minutes after using the e-cigarette ad libitum for 5 min. A subset of participants completed the Letter Cancellation and Brown-Peterson Working Memory Tasks. After 20 min, compared with the just hold group, desire to smoke and some aspects of nicotine withdrawal were significantly reduced in the nicotine and placebo group; the nicotine e-cigarette was superior to placebo in males but not in females. The nicotine e-cigarette also improved working memory performance compared with placebo at the longer interference intervals. There was no effect of nicotine on Letter Cancellation performance. To conclude, the White Super e-cigarette alleviated desire to smoke and withdrawal symptoms 20 min after use although the nicotine content was more important for males. This study also demonstrated for the first time that the nicotine e-cigarette can enhance working memory performance. Further evaluation of the cognitive effects of the e-cigarette and its efficacy as a cessation tool is merited.

and this study in the International Journal of Clinical Medicine is a very good read, while the sample size is to small to be conclusive the results are promising and this study also shows why such a product is necessary. Two heavily addicted, severely depressed people who failed to quit with professional assistance.
http://www.endsmoking.org.nz/IJCMecigsDepressionJuly2011.pdf

The reference you posted does not meet the criteria for a permanent tobacco or nicotine cessation study. Nor does it show the long term effects of e-smoke use. As for cognitive function performance, one can easily reveal a bout of exercise improves such functioning over a sedentary subject and better yet, one doesn't have to buy those e-smoke devices.

2014-06-29 6:14 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by pga_mike

There aren't any rules against logos, etc on your clothes.  Keep your torso covered, though!

There's no USAT rule against uncovered torsos either.

2014-06-29 6:45 PM
in reply to: Billyk

I posted 2 references. The first on only demonstrates the effect of personal vaporizers on withdrawal symptoms, the second is a case study of two success stories, people who had already failed to quit with medical assistance but were able to give up cigarettes completely for more than 6 months.
You are right that there are no studies on the long term health concerns, simply because they haven't been around long enough. They've only existed since 2003 and only in China till 2009. However there are currently 40 independent and peer reviewed studies on both the validity of these devices as a smoking cessation tool and their short term effects on the user's health. These studies have yet to find any significant concerns. I will post some more of them when I get off work.
2014-06-29 8:57 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

awesome thanks.
2014-06-30 5:08 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by soysos I posted 2 references. The first on only demonstrates the effect of personal vaporizers on withdrawal symptoms, the second is a case study of two success stories, people who had already failed to quit with medical assistance but were able to give up cigarettes completely for more than 6 months. You are right that there are no studies on the long term health concerns, simply because they haven't been around long enough. They've only existed since 2003 and only in China till 2009. However there are currently 40 independent and peer reviewed studies on both the validity of these devices as a smoking cessation tool and their short term effects on the user's health. These studies have yet to find any significant concerns. I will post some more of them when I get off work.

It would probably be more appropriate to post your articles on The Political Joe forum here on BT and leave this forum to legitimate triathlon topics.

Mark

2014-06-30 11:55 AM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by the bear

There's no USAT rule against uncovered torsos either.

^^ What the curmudgeon said. Torso covering is an ITU rule, not USAT. Some RD's may invoke it for whatever puritanical reason, and most "young people" respond with a "yuck!" when it's mentioned (I really don't get this, but whatever), but it's not in the USAT rule book.

2014-06-30 4:00 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by soysos
Originally posted by lisac957

Unless CASAA decides to sponsor me I don't have the money to have my top printed so I was planing on putting a heat transfer onto a scrap of fabric and either sewing it on or pinning it.

From what I have seen, they only care what is on your jersey with regards to sponsorship, if you are going to a championship race. Otherwise, they don't seem to regulate it at every day races. 

2014-06-30 8:38 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by soysos I posted 2 references. The first on only demonstrates the effect of personal vaporizers on withdrawal symptoms, the second is a case study of two success stories, people who had already failed to quit with medical assistance but were able to give up cigarettes completely for more than 6 months. You are right that there are no studies on the long term health concerns, simply because they haven't been around long enough. They've only existed since 2003 and only in China till 2009. However there are currently 40 independent and peer reviewed studies on both the validity of these devices as a smoking cessation tool and their short term effects on the user's health. These studies have yet to find any significant concerns. I will post some more of them when I get off work.

It would probably be more appropriate to post your articles on The Political Joe forum here on BT and leave this forum to legitimate triathlon topics.

Mark

Fair enough. Not the place, I think I have my answer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT rules on clothing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Swim Rule Interpretation

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 1374 Posts: 22

2006-06-30 8:22 PM Steve-

USAT Most Commonly Violated Rules

Started by rollinbones
Views: 1025 Posts: 8

2006-05-18 12:48 PM RedCorvette

Is this a USAT rule violation?

Started by 3558
Views: 995 Posts: 11

2006-04-25 1:45 PM Joe M

USAT reply regarding Bare Torso rule

Started by bostic
Views: 3024 Posts: 17

2012-06-05 4:39 PM ironultrared

USAT Rules (MP3's and GPS's)

Started by crouse
Views: 1243 Posts: 7

2006-04-05 12:07 PM crouse
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.
date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.

date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you are going to do a triathlon, you need to know at least some of the basic rules that can keep you from getting hurt or hurting someone else.