Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-44 M
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Traditional pre-race sushi dinner.
Event warmup:

Got in line for the pool, chatted with the other athletes around me. One of them works for the local sports radio (CJ Silas, ESPN Radio 1280) and was her first triathlon!
Swim
  • 08m 28s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

At the last minute they added me to the first wave so I only did a very short warm up. Once I started I felt OK but I never really felt like I hit my groove. My average time is better than my training pace of ~2:10/100 so I was faster than I thought.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up a bit more so I can get into my groove.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Realized right before the swim that I had not rolled and set my socks out and while setting up transition. With my feet still dripping wet this added a few seconds to my time. Otherwise a smooth transition.

Make sure I set up my socks in my bike shoes properly!
Bike
  • 29m 37s
  • 9.6 miles
  • 19.45 mile/hr
Comments:

First race on a TT bike (upgrade from my hybrid commuter) so I was expecting a faster bike split, and I did not disappoint. During the first lap I pushed my speed knowing that I could save my legs during the second lap. Being in the first wave there were not many others to pass however the second lap had mixed waves so I found myself calling out "on your left" a bunch.

Not much, felt good the whole way.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

As I ran into the transition area I could hear a couple others right behind me, we sounded like a parade of tap dancers. Two ladies made it out about 5 seconds ahead of me, giving me some rabbits to chase on the run course.

Not much, good overall but I could shave a few seconds here and there.
Run
  • 23m 22s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Heading out of transition I was a bit behind the two ladies who transitioned at the same time I did. While trying to keep my pace in check I gave myself a goal to catch them if I could. The first one slowed down quickly and I passed her before the first turn. The second was running a good pace right around mine so it took me longer to catch up.

When I checked my watch, the display said "10.3" and I thought to myself "there is no way I'm running a 10+ pace!". My legs felt funny off the bike like the usually do but I figured I was at least running my usual 9:30. When we hit the first mile I glanced down and saw the lap time as "8:24" and I realized I was looking at my total distance, not lap pace! A quick press of a button and I was able to see that I was running a nice pace, faster than my usual training pace by a good margin!

Determined to stick with her I kept a solid pace to the turnaround then she pulled ahead as we went up a small incline. She kept the lead all the way to the last corner where I kicked in for the final stretch to the finish line, taking the lead and finishing just steps before her. After crossing the finish line I gave her a big high-five and thanked her for pushing me to one of my fastest runs.

Ran one of my fastest 5k's, let alone the run leg of a triathlon. Not much more I can do except keep training!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out a bit and watched other racers finish. Waited for CJ to finish so we could cheer her as she crossed the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just more training.

Event comments:

Great little local race, perfect for those new to the sport and a fun fast race for the veterans.

Last updated: 2014-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:28 | 440 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, 18 lengths.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:37 | 9.6 miles | 19.45 mile/hr
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/533845827
Wind: None
Course: Two laps of an out-and back circle
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:22 | 02.8 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/533845831
Course: Single loop along the same route as the bike course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-28 2:25 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: Tri-the-Bull

2014-06-30 1:44 PM
in reply to: #5018772

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Tri-the-Bull
Nice work Mark. I would kill for a 19 mph bike split split! Sounds like the Racer 5 was aptly choosen! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-the-Bull Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri-the-Bull

Started by MOlsen
Views: 1360 Posts: 1

2013-07-01 5:37 PM MOlsen

Bull Stampede - Run for Cover

Started by F150TPA
Views: 984 Posts: 5

2006-04-23 9:13 PM Comet

Bull Run 10K

Started by MomX3
Views: 1011 Posts: 3

2006-04-06 12:22 PM runnergirl29

1era Valida Red Bull

Started by Mayde
Views: 2084 Posts: 5

2006-03-02 9:34 AM Traveski

Red Bull MTB Series - race 1

Started by dragoman
Views: 1500 Posts: 8

2005-02-22 1:01 PM Drinking Buddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.