Other Resources Challenge Me! » Tour De France Challenge - the 8th Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2014-06-30 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: Tour De France Challenge - the 8th Edition

Starting this, because who doesn't want more incentive to ride their bike?  Borrowing a lot of this from last year's post.

Riding a bike in July? Any bike at all? (Road bike, mountain bike, exercise bike, spin bike, unicycle, maybe a paddleboat?

Then sign up below for the Eighth Tour De France Challenge from July 5th - July 27th

So like previous TdF challenges, you'll sign up by stating how many stages you'll ride along with a distance or time goal.  This way newbies have just as much of a chance to "win" as veterans.

The rules will be the same as last year.

Challenge Rules: 

1. The winning team will be determined by the overall % of goal amount of stages and % of distance/time achieved by the team. (each goal counts for 50% of your overall goal achieved

2. Riders must complete a minimum of 15 minutes ride time per session for the stage to be counted against their committed stages. 

3. Goals are capped at 100% - you can INCREASE your goal at any time 

4. If your commute (one way) is less than 15 minutes... then you can combine the two commutes as one stage for the purposes of this tour. If you wish for each of your bike commutes to count as two stages (and they are longer than 15 minutes) then you should log them as two separate rides in your training log. 

5. You can ride more than once on one day if you wish to, just make sure that they are logged as separate rides in your log. 

6. Stages must be logged in the riders BT logs for verification 

8. If you have a temporary set back such as an illness (i.e a cold) then I will be using the following equation to calculate your goal reduction (if required). Total Goal/23 days (of the challenge) * number of days out of action = goal reduction for the challenge. 

9. 24 hour BAN (code of silence) on discussing action from the Tour in your team thread. This applies (basically) from when one stage starts to when the next stage finishes... (I will be posting reminders on this regularly

10. Team leaders will be nominated by each team and will be responsible for reminding team members to log their progress in google spreadsheets and leading the cheer-leading to help everyone reach their goals. 

Friendly banter and sledging is encouraged, pledging team allegiance through signature lines, log titles and avatars is also encouraged.

There wasn't a whole lot of interest in the thread in the Peloton forum about this, so I considered adding a twist to it.  If we don't have enough entrants to do teams, then maybe we can all race as individuals with a rider of choice as our Tour proxy.  In case there are enough people to make teams, select one as well.

For example

I'll ride for Trek Factory Racing as Fabian Cancellara.

Still working on how many stages and how much riding I'm going to do.

Who else is in?!

2014-06-30 1:05 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Tour De France Challenge - the 8th Edition
I so want to, I can't imagine not doing the tour challenge. Just don't know what the goals/targets will be with the priorities off the bike this month.
2014-06-30 5:15 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Master
brummie land
Tommy voeckler for europcar for me. 136.6 miles please
2014-06-30 7:51 PM

User image

i'm in, but not sure my goals yet - got to look at my training plan
2014-07-01 12:52 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
I'd like to participate, though I've not done this before, and I'm not completely sure of the rules....

Reviewing my training plan for the month, I'm looking at 23 hours of riding scheduled while the tour is taking place. That should equate to about 350 miles for the period. Some of these will be late night on a trainer... not sure if those count.

No clue how many stages that would equate to, or how to select a rider/team.

Let me know if you'll have me, and any additional advice/instructions I'll need.

Thanks.

2014-07-01 12:59 PM
in reply to: mandsberry

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by mandsberry I'd like to participate, though I've not done this before, and I'm not completely sure of the rules.... Reviewing my training plan for the month, I'm looking at 23 hours of riding scheduled while the tour is taking place. That should equate to about 350 miles for the period. Some of these will be late night on a trainer... not sure if those count. No clue how many stages that would equate to, or how to select a rider/team. Let me know if you'll have me, and any additional advice/instructions I'll need. Thanks.

The spirit of the competition is to see how many stages (days) within the tour you'll be riding (aka 8 days or stages) as well as either time or distance.  Trainer absolutely counts.  This is more about pushing yourself than "winning".

As far as rider/team you just pick whoever you want.  You can ride a Contador, Froome, Cav, whoever isn't taken yet.  

Usually this competition has enough people participating to where we can have multiple teams that would represent a tour team, but this year it looks like we'll have 8 at most, so I liked the idea of us having a team where we all sort of work together using riders from the tour as proxies.  Who hasn't pretended that they're a pro when cresting a big hill or pushing on a sprint?!  I think of Fabian every time I start a TT effort.

2014-07-01 5:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

I am in for the challange. I will go with 10 stages with a time of 12 hours. Miles I am not sure as I am stuck on a Life Fitness exercise bike. Not sure team or what ever so that is Open.

2014-07-01 10:20 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Denver, CO

I'm in.  7 stages, 5:20.  Team Cannondale please.

2014-07-02 5:54 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

i'm going to stay 9 stages and 21 hours - team sky if it isn't taken
2014-07-02 8:24 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The rider idea may be convoluted, so I'll just combine the teams selected:

Team Trek/Cannondale

laffinrock

msteiner

mandsberry

Team Sky/Europcar

Austhokie

sappho96

jbwills

On the buble - peto_primo 

I'll put you on whichever team you want Primo if you're in.  I'll have a spreadsheet up by tomorrow hopefully.  

It's not too late for others to join!  

2014-07-02 9:06 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jbwills

I am in for the challange. I will go with 10 stages with a time of 12 hours. Miles I am not sure as I am stuck on a Life Fitness exercise bike. Not sure team or what ever so that is Open.

What the heck, if my man Jonathan is in, I'll do the same. 10 rides and 12 hours.

2014-07-02 9:36 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
I'm game for this, I have a habit of missing a few bike sessions from time to time so a challenge is just what I need to keep me on track.

goal: 10 stages with a time of 18 hours.(this matches my training plan). does there need to be a mileage number also?

as for team.. I have no preference so if you would like to use me to balance out the numbers I am ok with that.
2014-07-02 10:08 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by mambos I'm game for this, I have a habit of missing a few bike sessions from time to time so a challenge is just what I need to keep me on track. goal: 10 stages with a time of 18 hours.(this matches my training plan). does there need to be a mileage number also? as for team.. I have no preference so if you would like to use me to balance out the numbers I am ok with that.

Negative, you can place a goal in time or distance.  Time is helpful for those who spend lots of time on the trainer or have plans that ride by time instead of distance.

It's about meeting your goal, whichever it is.

2014-07-02 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
I'm in. I'll just toss a number out there for distance and stages... um... 12 stages, 300 miles. I have a mountain bike race in there so I won't get many miles that day. This is starting July 5 right? As for team... Omega Pharma Quickstep, Tony Martin. Or if that team doesn't make I'll take Sky.
2014-07-02 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by mandsberry I'd like to participate, though I've not done this before, and I'm not completely sure of the rules.... Reviewing my training plan for the month, I'm looking at 23 hours of riding scheduled while the tour is taking place. That should equate to about 350 miles for the period. Some of these will be late night on a trainer... not sure if those count. No clue how many stages that would equate to, or how to select a rider/team. Let me know if you'll have me, and any additional advice/instructions I'll need. Thanks.

The spirit of the competition is to see how many stages (days) within the tour you'll be riding (aka 8 days or stages) as well as either time or distance.  Trainer absolutely counts.  This is more about pushing yourself than "winning".

As far as rider/team you just pick whoever you want.  You can ride a Contador, Froome, Cav, whoever isn't taken yet.  

Usually this competition has enough people participating to where we can have multiple teams that would represent a tour team, but this year it looks like we'll have 8 at most, so I liked the idea of us having a team where we all sort of work together using riders from the tour as proxies.  Who hasn't pretended that they're a pro when cresting a big hill or pushing on a sprint?!  I think of Fabian every time I start a TT effort.

Ok, I think I get it. Go ahead and put me down for 12 stages and 21 hours. That is 2 stages and 3.5 hours above what I likely would have done over the period... so I'll use this to push myself a bit.

In the spirit of Teams, I'll pull my Trek down and take it out for a couple of rides. Since no one has claimed them yet, I'll take one of the Schleck brothers. Doesn't matter which one.
2014-07-02 10:15 PM
in reply to: mandsberry

User image

Regular
I'll give it a go. 12 days 20 hrs. Any team will work. This sounds like some motivation

2014-07-03 8:04 AM
in reply to: #5019369

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
I'm in. 12 rides. 18 hours. Any team...any rider.
2014-07-03 9:41 AM
in reply to: PanicTour

User image

Extreme Veteran
St Johns, Florida
Team Cannondale Please.

Put me down for 18 Stages @ 400 Miles.
Running will take a back seat for July.

Thanks
2014-07-03 10:10 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

On the buble - peto_primo 

I'll put you on whichever team you want Primo if you're in.  I'll have a spreadsheet up by tomorrow hopefully.  

It's not too late for others to join!  

From those choices, I'll go with Trek/Cannondale (for a short time that matched mine and my wife's 29er's )

My heart wants to go the the normal 21 stages and 315-420 miles but I just don't see it where my fitness is at and other commitments. I guess I will go for 12 stages and 250 miles to start things off and see what happens from there.
2014-07-03 9:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sydney
Thanks for getting this started - I used to run this every year and i really appreciate someone else picking up my slack!!! Thank you very very much

PS. I am not in this year but seeing this post made me happy and nostalgic
2014-07-03 11:06 PM
in reply to: kaqphin

User image

Extreme Veteran
Count me in. I just got back on after being away with a death in the family. Put me wherever you see fit but I seem to always be with Peto! No goals yet but I'll put them together

2014-07-04 3:26 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I got a spreadsheet going for this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Il5wg3Ldhekp73UH-MArgBJHX4cxVAupmqjbTyrCgYI/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to change whatever your goals are before Stage 1 if you need to.  If you didn't put up both stage number and mileage/hour goals then you'll need to add that.  

Currently the teams are....

Team Trek/Cannondale

laffinrock

msteiner

mandsberry

Dan King

Peto_primo

mambos

PanicTour

Team Sky/Europcar

Austhokie

sappho96

jbwills

Tiffanator 

cdban66

deadman

Hunting Triathlete

Still not too late to join!  Stage 1 is this Saturday!

2014-07-04 3:27 AM
in reply to: kaqphin

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by kaqphin Thanks for getting this started - I used to run this every year and i really appreciate someone else picking up my slack!!! Thank you very very much PS. I am not in this year but seeing this post made me happy and nostalgic

I had a lot of fun with it last year and met some cool people in the process.  I definitely wanted to keep it going.

2014-07-04 4:24 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by kaqphin Thanks for getting this started - I used to run this every year and i really appreciate someone else picking up my slack!!! Thank you very very much PS. I am not in this year but seeing this post made me happy and nostalgic

I had a lot of fun with it last year and met some cool people in the process.  I definitely wanted to keep it going.

x2. You are a doll for doing this (and many other things). A HOT doll!

All 21 stages, total of 21 hours for me. Any team is fine, either one of the two already there or a third.

Nostalgia too. Was there for the first TdF Challenge and at least part of each one thereafter. I STILL have lifelong friends from that 1st challenge!

2014-07-04 7:35 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

x2. You are a doll for doing this (and many other things). A HOT doll!

All 21 stages, total of 21 hours for me. Any team is fine, either one of the two already there or a third.

Nostalgia too. Was there for the first TdF Challenge and at least part of each one thereafter. I STILL have lifelong friends from that 1st challenge!

i want yanti to be on my team!!! nostalgia rules

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Tour De France Challenge - the 8th Edition Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Tour De France Challenge - the 7th Edition Pages: 1 2 3

Started by kaqphin
Views: 10613 Posts: 61

2013-06-29 11:32 PM kaqphin

Tour De France Bike Challenge - FINAL RESULTS!!!

Started by kaqphin
Views: 2063 Posts: 17

2007-08-03 4:05 AM kaqphin

Tour De France Bike Challenge Team Leaders Thread (and rules) Pages: 1 2

Started by kaqphin
Views: 5846 Posts: 47

2007-08-01 2:04 AM kaqphin

The 2007 Tour De France Bike Challenge Team Announcement Pages: 1 2

Started by kaqphin
Views: 4297 Posts: 31

2007-07-07 11:18 AM kaqphin

The July 2007 Tour De France Bike Challenge Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by kaqphin
Views: 11240 Posts: 133

2007-07-06 7:55 PM kaqphin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.