General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Black Hills Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-02 11:23 PM

User image

Subject: Black Hills Triathlon
If you've done it, what did you think?

If you haven't done it, but are considering it for next year, ask me anything.

This was my second time. Just a great group of folks who put this on. Very well organized and thoughtful. I can somewhat imagine the mammoth effort that was made by everyone involved. Check out the organizers here:

http://www.blackhillstriathlon.com/index.php/about/leaders

I loved the 'Xterra' run course. I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride when running up and down the hills and through the twists and turns in the woods. Looking forward to next year!

2014-07-03 11:32 AM
in reply to: Recoverie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Subject: RE: Black Hills Triathlon
How did it go this year? I really enjoyed it last year, but was in CdA this year and had to miss it. Did they use the same course (I liked it the first year) or did they make changes? Any other significant changes from the first year?
2014-07-03 8:32 PM
in reply to: citaltfort

User image

Kirkland, WA
It was a fun one this year. Decent competition, although not quite as much as Five Mile Lake. Budu Racing has built an awesome following and gets some great turn outs often with some fast guys and gals racing.

As far as Black Hills goes...perfect weather and a fun course. Warm enough to hang out before the start in a trisuit without getting cold, but not overly warm at the finish. Nice to get a break from the downpour we got at Five Mile Lake on Saturday. Lots of people doing the double.

Not sure if it was the same course, but bike course was awesome besides the few miles of chipseal returning, but as far as chip seal goes it was pleasant. Run had a nice mix of trails and pavements. Nice way to take your mind off things.

Not a bad weekend for two course records...
2014-07-04 5:00 PM

User image

Hey Brad,

I thought it went really well. From my experience, the race organizers were more organized that even last year. Kim Stamp, race director, told me at packet pickup on Friday that this race sold out.

The swim and bike were the same as last last year, with significant changes to the run this year. Last year I was taken by surprise when the run went off road (I didn't preview the course). I also got "tricked" then when running through bike transition and down the hill when ran up after the swim. I could hear and see the crowds at the finish line. I thought the run was almost over, but no, we still had to go a bit further through the woods again. This year, we finished at the fairgrounds entrance near bike transition. I knew we would be doing an Xterra type run, so prepared for it. What I wasn't expecting was to be trail running so soon after coming off the bike. That first downhill after transition was a shocker for my quads, but, I found it was a great way to get up to speed quickly. The run broke the monotony, with ducking in and out of the woods and not knowing exactly where the next trail was going to take me. I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride during the run. Loved it!

This race felt intense and fast. I think it's a great way to get in some speed work and refine T1 & T2. I use it as a spring board for longer distances, like Olympic and 70.3. I'm looking forward to doing this again next year. Scott
2014-07-04 5:10 PM
in reply to: Sail15

User image

Hey Jack,

Congratulations on smashing the course record this year!

I'm with you that this is a fun race. Very fast and intense, but exhilarating! Loved the Xterra type run. It felt like a roller coaster ride. Had to stay alert, though, and watch out for obstacles on the run (like those rocks and mud after we went down the first hill out of transition).

Looking forward to next year!
2014-07-05 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Thanks for the reports guys. Sounds like it's still fun. I'll have to check out where the run goes and hopefully get back there next year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Black Hills Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Black Hills cancelled?

Started by Rugbyruss
Views: 2322 Posts: 9

2010-08-24 11:45 PM run45

Black Hills Triathlon - Freaked Out!

Started by AmyLee11
Views: 1616 Posts: 10

2009-09-04 7:39 PM gvey

Black Diamond Tri Pages: 1 2

Started by tek8807
Views: 2874 Posts: 27

2007-09-27 7:00 PM deashipp

Black Diamond

Started by swbkrun
Views: 1191 Posts: 3

2006-10-06 7:24 AM Novo

Black Diamond Tri - Seattle, WA

Started by jmeyers
Views: 1499 Posts: 5

2005-09-25 5:15 PM magic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : June 23, 2009
author : AMSSM
The whole bottoms of my feet hurt these days. Been running for a number of years now and this is a first. Do you have any tips?
date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?
date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 20, 2007
author : Lorenzomtb
comments : 1
Immediately I felt attracted by the challenge. I have done plenty of biking this summer and a new motivation, particularly toward the end of the summer, was what I needed.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?

date : October 10, 2004
author : TSN
Tri-a-new daily read online, with the UK’s independent home of triathlon.