General Discussion Triathlon Talk » May Change Plans, Need Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-05 3:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: May Change Plans, Need Advice
Good morning,
I have a long run for my NYC marathon training this morning and I am up dreading it already. I am dreading it so much, I'm up with insomnia. I am really not enjoying the long runs, although I love running any distance or time under an hour. It is really good for my brain. I have pretty bad ADD and can get anxiety and running smooths things out better than any medicine. What long distance is starting to do, though, is get my foot talking to me again; last year, I had to drop out of NYC marathon training because of plantar fasciatis. I've built a good base this year, though, and been running on mostly dirt roads. But my foot is starting to twinge here and there.

I did the Lake George Olympic Tri about six or seven years ago and I am thinking of switching gears. Note: I was fat and very slow then, but I finished. Second to last in 4 hours.

Is this nuts? I haven't been on my bike yet, and haven't actually ridden in years! Ditto on swimming any distance. What I do have are seven more years on me (I'm 52,) twenty five fewer pounds, although I still have 20 to lose (and my running isn't taking them off,) I'm up to 10 mile runs, and I'm off work this summer. I'm also very strong willed, which is why I hate the idea of not running the marathon and quitting on it. But ugh. The thought of a two hour run today just kills me.

The Lake George Tri is on August 30th, which gives me 8 weeks to train. The bike was the worst last time. It is hilly and the organization was terrible. It was the 2nd year, and since I was so far back, volunteers weren't really paying attention, and an old man was told to go and almost hit me. Like by inches. A huge truck pulling a huge boat came within inches of hitting me too. No one directing traffic at all for me by then. (Maybe my husband can do the bike!) Upon reflection, the bike was hell.

I think I can train for the swim, and the run would be a piece of cake. Slow, but doable. If you think this is feasible, can you point me to a training schedule for where I am? I appreciate any advice, thank you!
Nancy
Oh, the West Point Tri is August 17th, I did this last time before the Lake George Tri. Thanks.

2014-07-05 5:44 AM
in reply to: nancylee

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: May Change Plans, Need Advice
Although you didn't say exactly how "long" your run was today or exactly why you were dreading it (plantar faciitis concerns?), it doesn't sound like your heart is in this. Certainly if you are concern you are developing PF again you should consider going to the doctor and doing some exercises to ward off a full blown case. You might also want to go to a local running store and be fitted for the proper running shoes if you think that might be it. But, if you want to stay uninjured for the marathon, you have to put in the training (time and distance) for it.

As far as the TRI goes, I assume this is an OLY, although you don't say and I am not familiar with the TRI you mentioned. Eight weeks is not long but if you can swim without panicking, then you can get through the OLY. The cycling portion might take a lot out of your legs and make the run unpleasant, but if you take it easy and fuel up properly, I think you could get through it. I am sure you will get plenty of other input from others. Good luck!
2014-07-05 7:31 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by topolina

Although you didn't say exactly how "long" your run was today or exactly why you were dreading it (plantar faciitis concerns?), it doesn't sound like your heart is in this. Certainly if you are concern you are developing PF again you should consider going to the doctor and doing some exercises to ward off a full blown case. You might also want to go to a local running store and be fitted for the proper running shoes if you think that might be it. But, if you want to stay uninjured for the marathon, you have to put in the training (time and distance) for it.

As far as the TRI goes, I assume this is an OLY, although you don't say and I am not familiar with the TRI you mentioned. Eight weeks is not long but if you can swim without panicking, then you can get through the OLY. The cycling portion might take a lot out of your legs and make the run unpleasant, but if you take it easy and fuel up properly, I think you could get through it. I am sure you will get plenty of other input from others. Good luck!

Thank you for your input. I just bought another pair of sneakers, I use Asics and also have orthotics from the podiatrist, so t have that covered. It's a 10 mile run today, but I'm slow, so it takes a cople of hours. I'm not sure why I dread it - it is long for me, it's boring, on dirt roads with no one around. I've tried to find running partners, but no luck so far. I live in a pretty sparsely populated area.

Thank you again.
Nancy
2014-07-05 2:28 PM
in reply to: nancylee

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by nancylee
Originally posted by topolina Although you didn't say exactly how "long" your run was today or exactly why you were dreading it (plantar faciitis concerns?), it doesn't sound like your heart is in this. Certainly if you are concern you are developing PF again you should consider going to the doctor and doing some exercises to ward off a full blown case. You might also want to go to a local running store and be fitted for the proper running shoes if you think that might be it. But, if you want to stay uninjured for the marathon, you have to put in the training (time and distance) for it. As far as the TRI goes, I assume this is an OLY, although you don't say and I am not familiar with the TRI you mentioned. Eight weeks is not long but if you can swim without panicking, then you can get through the OLY. The cycling portion might take a lot out of your legs and make the run unpleasant, but if you take it easy and fuel up properly, I think you could get through it. I am sure you will get plenty of other input from others. Good luck!
Thank you for your input. I just bought another pair of sneakers, I use Asics and also have orthotics from the podiatrist, so t have that covered. It's a 10 mile run today, but I'm slow, so it takes a cople of hours. I'm not sure why I dread it - it is long for me, it's boring, on dirt roads with no one around. I've tried to find running partners, but no luck so far. I live in a pretty sparsely populated area. Thank you again. Nancy

Did you do exercises for your last bout of PF?  If so, I would start doing them again.  If not, I would at least do a google search for PF exercises and start doing them.   Also, I understand you have a new pair of running shoes, but if they are not the right type for you it won't matter that they are new and that you have orthotics.  For example, I wear orthotics in a neutral shoe.  If I were to use them in a stability shoe it would cause me problems.  

As far as not liking long runs, I can't really help you with that.  I do know when i first started marathon training I did not like running long alone either, but over time I learned to love the distance.  I still prefer to run long with others, but I don't come anywhere near dread when thinking about going long alone (except some times when I'm just not feeling it).  Do you have a local running store?  Ask them if there is a running group that you can join.

If you really want to make the switch from marathon training to training for that Oly, pull up one of the free plans on this site.  You should be able to find one that will get you to the finish.

Good luck!

2014-07-05 5:16 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks, Anne Marie,
My shoes are good for me, I have a really high arch, so they are cushioned. I have had no issues with them since last year (same brand and model, just a newer pair)! Seems once I hit the 10 mile long run, my feet start to twinge. I will look up exercises, and start them regardless of my decision. Thanks much!
Nancy

2014-07-05 5:41 PM
in reply to: #5021735

davenport, iowa
Two ways to make long runs not suck so much while alone....

1. Music/podcasts/audible books. You'll get your workout in and also be smarter when you're done.

2. (My personal favorite) I often do 8 to 12 mile runs on a treadmill because then I can set my smartphone in front of me and play online poker! The time just flies by. So find an app or a game that you can sit in front of you on the treadmill and be occupied with.

2014-07-05 9:30 PM
in reply to: lekuhlman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by lekuhlman

Two ways to make long runs not suck so much while alone....

1. Music/podcasts/audible books. You'll get your workout in and also be smarter when you're done.

2. (My personal favorite) I often do 8 to 12 mile runs on a treadmill because then I can set my smartphone in front of me and play online poker! The time just flies by. So find an app or a game that you can sit in front of you on the treadmill and be occupied with.

Thank you! Those are great ideas! I have a inch of podcasts I want to listen to!
Nncy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » May Change Plans, Need Advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training Plan Advice Needed

Started by cobblers
Views: 768 Posts: 4

2012-03-29 8:02 PM KSH

Floods change plans...need advice.

Started by gzh6464
Views: 822 Posts: 5

2011-09-09 6:04 PM NewClydesdale

planning for 1st 70.3 Advice needed

Started by halfmarathondon
Views: 1657 Posts: 15

2010-12-21 3:57 PM halfmarathondon

Extending My Training Plan Through the Season - Need Advice

Started by trinigen
Views: 971 Posts: 2

2010-07-01 4:02 PM tjdave

need training plan advice for time trial

Started by vrljc
Views: 920 Posts: 3

2009-08-11 12:47 PM Donto
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.