General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo diet, what do you eat during workouts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-06 10:33 PM

Subject: Paleo diet, what do you eat during workouts?
I've been eating on the paleo type diet for around 6 months and it has been great so far.

I had numerous digestive IBS type symptoms and since cutting out cereals, lentils, dairy, etc I've felt much better.

However, I'm struggling with ideas on what to eat and drink during 3-4 hour bike rides and brick sessions in the weekends.

What fuel should I be using if I want to follow this type of diet?

2014-07-07 8:58 AM
in reply to: elliot.power

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Paleo diet, what do you eat during workouts?
You might try some dried fruit, unsweetened coconut flakes? some almonds or other nut. I usually stick with plain water for most fluid, if you need more maybe some broth.
2014-07-08 12:07 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Not a lot of non-messy choices out there, but you could bring bagged cooked sweet potato cubes, dates, bananas, hard boiled eggs, (nitrate free) jerky sticks. Coconut water for a natural electrolyte drink. You could also make a Paleo banana or quick bread (lots of recipes on Pinterest) and carry chunks of that. 

I did a half marathon on dates and jerky once - it was fine but only a few hours. A longer bike ride is going to be rough on Paleo.

2014-07-09 6:52 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

I made these apple pie bites and took them on a 50 mile ride a few weeks ago and loved them:

http://www.ourpaleolife.com/2013/03/apple-pie-bites/

2014-07-09 10:54 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Some Larabars are Paleo compatible. Also, dates and nuts. I make my own grain free, dairy free banana bread, and it's pretty good.
2014-07-09 10:57 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I know that Paleo emphasizes not even knowing the calorie count of foods (based on the cookbooks I've seen), but with all the honey and fruit it seems that even without grains this diet is high in carbs.

What percentage of your diet do you think is carbs?

2014-07-09 4:16 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Here's a good link on fruit on the Paleo diet. It talks about limiting fruits if weight loss is a goal.

http://ultimatepaleoguide.com/paleo-diet-food-list/#paleodietfruits 

2014-07-21 8:22 PM
in reply to: 0

Regular
Probably not true Paleo but darn close
No Preservatives
Non GMO
No Fat
Gluten Free
All Natural
Kosher
Vegan
Raw
Just 100 calories

And they taste great (except the apricot is a little too tart for me). This is my solid fuel choice on the bike.
I'm eating an Apple/Pineapple as I type this....YUM!!!!

http://shop.thatsitfruit.com/

Edited by riltri 2014-07-21 8:24 PM
2014-07-22 7:24 AM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Checked out the bars. Don't understand what its made of. It can't just be mashed up fruit. Is it dehydrated?
2014-07-22 12:21 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Yes looks like only dehydrated fruit. Very similar to a Larabar, which is only fruit and nuts. 

2014-07-22 5:03 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Paleo has never stated that it is a 'low carb' diet. There are ways to take Paleo and make it stricter and more ketogenic, but depends on your goals, workouts, body metabolism etc. Timed correctly, carbs can be a good choice for fuel - during and/or after a workout, esp one that is more glycogen demanding.

For me, Paleo means whole food, no processed crap or gluten. I've experimented with no dairy, some dairy (Kefir) and even without the lactose, it still makes me break out - boo! Primal diets add in good sources of dairy.

Back to the OP...

For longer workouts, I make a lot of my own food - homemade granola and bars/bites made with nuts/figs/dates. Even just plain dates or figs are very clean burning sources of carbs and satisfy the sweet tooth, without being over the top sugary.

I know some people that use food from Feed Zone Portables book, but I've not looked at it yet.

In a pinch, if I don't have time to make anything, I bring along a couple Kits Organic Bars - specifically the Cashew, berry or chocolate coconut. The ingredients are simple, organic and portable...just cut them up in small bite size pieces and put in a baggie.

Plus they aren't that expensive.

I had nasty IBS and other digestive issues before starting Paleo years ago and it was amazing how much better I feel!

2014-07-23 8:56 AM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Love to hear about nutrition and healing, thanks for the tip on Clif products.
2014-07-23 3:44 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

with a paleo diet you are supposed to be using fat for energy.  nuts are an obvious choice, avocados, olives?, seeds, i'm not sure what fats are very portable.

2014-07-24 5:25 PM
in reply to: 0

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by mehaner

with a paleo diet you are supposed to be using fat for energy.  nuts are an obvious choice, avocados, olives?, seeds, i'm not sure what fats are very portable.

You can get the individual packets of nut butter - Jason's brand and Barney Butter are both good. I believe both brands have different varieties and flavors so if you don't like one, there are options.

Also, depending on your goals, the Paleo diet does rely on carbs for fuel, just different types of carbs.
No gluten (pasta/bread), but many paleo athletes use sweet potatoes, roots, and other tubers, along with fruit (dried/fresh) and veges for carb sources.
High intensity training requires more carbs, but longer distance, moderate training does well on higher fat.
This all depends on the individual but I do well with sweet potatoes, figs and dates, but I time my nutrition to be after my higher intensity workouts when you need it the most.

It is beneficial to become fat adapted, esp for those doing longer distances, but it is a long process and again, timing is key. Many people can stay in ketosis AND eat carbs, but you have to eat the right ones and at the right time :-)!

Edited by runspingirl 2014-07-24 5:26 PM
2014-07-30 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
ucan, water, or Xtend to add in burning fat (not the one for men issues)
2014-08-04 4:10 PM
in reply to: cxk9758

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

I take my kids' squeezy applesauce packets (just applesauce, no added sugars) with me on long rides - easy to eat and digest while moving. That, along with dried fruit, nuts, and the occasional larabar, have gotten me through a lot of 3-4 hour rides this summer. My tummy likes that stuff better than gels anyhow. 

2014-08-06 8:01 AM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Good point, I have confused paleo with low carb in the past - probably because of the no bread/pasta thing.
2014-08-06 10:17 PM

I'm a distance runner with plans to get into Tri and I've been Paleo for about 18 months and love it, I doubt I'll ever go back. I do have one non-paleo piece of my diet. Sports drinks.

For long runs I have no been able to find anything that comes near sports drinks. I have tried;

Dates
Bananas
Coconut water
Nuts
Home made honey/nut/fruit bars
Sultanas
Juices (homemade)
Smoothies (homemade)
Various mixtures of the above

I can only assume there are some differences with a long ride compared to a long run, but I've noticed two significant changes since switching to a sports drink.

1) I am able to run for longer at a set pace without conscious thought. I do not feel that my performance itself has improved, but I don't need to force the pace as much towards the end - which I guess really is performance improvement.

2) My recovery is significantly improved, particularly that day. I do not feel nearly as washed out as I did pre sports drinks.

I'm super interested to see if there are other viable, Paleo, alternatives, but from my self experimentation, I can live with a couple of litres of crap on a long run for the benefits I've had.
2014-10-16 3:26 PM
in reply to: justbrad

Scottsdale, AZ
A new gem I've found that I got from several ultra runners:

Dried Banana Chips - OMG yummm!

I forgot I had these with me on a long bike ride a few weeks ago and was annoyed that I didn't want anything else I brought, but then remembered I had these - SO happy and got me going again!

Try to find the organic version and aim for the ingredients to read in this order: Dried Bananas, Coconut Oil, Sugar
NOT: Bananas, Sugar, Coconut oil

Good carb/fat source that tastes good and is very portable! I get mine from Trader Joes!
2014-11-21 3:21 PM

User image

You may try some of these items.....

Vegasport.com

I use the electrolyte hydrator drink mix. It is totally plant based as well as dairy, gluten and soy free. Tastes great and provides a few calories. Not sure if it is paleo compatible or not. I'm not very versed in the paleo diet. I love it because there are no processed sugars.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo diet, what do you eat during workouts? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Paleo Diet for the endurance athlete

Started by Darr
Views: 1595 Posts: 9

2005-11-18 1:20 PM TH3_FRB

Paleo diet article in this month's Runner's world

Started by maxmattmick
Views: 999 Posts: 1

2005-11-07 1:38 PM maxmattmick

Paleo Diet?

Started by nccgrap
Views: 1410 Posts: 3

2005-10-31 9:19 PM kandicemcdonald

Paleo Diet

Started by nccgrap
Views: 979 Posts: 1

2005-10-31 10:23 AM nccgrap

Paleo Diet for Athletes...

Started by maxmattmick
Views: 2237 Posts: 21

2005-11-03 1:07 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 21, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Striving to eat a perfect diet commonly results in deprivation of foods you truly like to eat. You will inevitably end up binging on those foods, sooner or later. Learn how to eat normally.

date : June 29, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on losing weight during half Ironman training, high sugar fruits to avoid, and the Paleo diet.
date : June 25, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?

date : April 26, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on good vs bad sugars, fluid loss replacement, clean eating, the Paleo diet and are gels necessary for olympic races.