General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 10 week training for Half IM??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-07 2:33 AM

Subject: 10 week training for Half IM???
I am new to triathlons and got the bug. I re arranged my training to incorporate 3 days of swimming, 3-4 runs and 2-3 on bike and 2-3 weight training. I have done 3 sprints in the last 6 weeks and Ive been training fairly seriously for an olympic next weekend. I was invited to do a half ironman in 10 weeks. Is that enough time? Im willing to put in the time training. Not trying to podium, only want the experience and to not have to crawl to work the next day. Soreness is expected. All training plans I have found are around 20 week plans. Should I decline the invite?

To add, I am not in elite level shape but in decent shape from doing crossfit, previous marathon training and 15 years in the Army. Thanks any input would be appreciated

2014-07-07 7:13 AM
in reply to: Tigerpr76

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: 10 week training for Half IM???

10 weeks could be enough time but my concern with you is that you might not have the base built to pull it off properly.  When was your previous marathon?

If you're seriously going to give it a go you need to up the bike mileage.  2 rides per week isn't going to cut it.

Swim at least 3x, run at least 4x and bike at least 4x.  The weight training can stick around if you can find the time.  Just know that it won't help you become a better swimmer, cyclist or runner.  Specificity rules are in play.  Let's call weight training supplemental training.  If you can wedge it in great but don't remove a S/B/R workout so you can weight train.

The bike is the most important aspect of long course racing (even more so at the IM distance) as it sets up most of your day.  Poor bike fitness and poor bike execution (pacing and nutrition) are what ruins people during a HIM or IM.   Read a bunch of race reports and in many of those race reports you'll see comments about how their run went to complete crap.  They will often blame whatever it is they drank/ate or some other excuse but for 90% of them the real reason is their bike execution was completely off -- bike fitness was poor, their nutrition plan was bad and/or untested, and they went way too hard on the bike.

Nutrition is the 4th discipline of long course racing.  That's often overlooked by the first timer.  Start practicing that now.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 10 week training for Half IM??? Rss Feed