General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-07 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread
About 2 weeks until race day! Anyone have goals for the race? I'm not trained up as much as I'd normally try to be as using it more of a half way point in my HIM training for the Princeton Half in 2 months.

2014-07-08 10:25 AM
in reply to: colesdad

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread
For me this is just a speed workout built into IM ChooChoo training. I've wanted to do this race for years because it is in my parents backyard. Now that I live closer it is much more reasonable.
2014-07-09 10:29 AM
in reply to: #5022385

User image

Regular
Looking forward to it. Have done the sprint the past 2 years, this will be my first Olympic.
2014-07-11 8:43 AM
in reply to: hessma

New user

Same as above poster. Should be a good race. Water should be warm again.
2014-07-11 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Didn't race it the last 2 years (injury last year and away the year prior) returning to Oly too (haven't done one in 4 years) I'm ready - just hope the water is as warm as it usually is!
2014-07-14 7:57 AM
in reply to: wwlani

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
yeah with all the rain for the next few days and forecast for general lack of sun water could cool off quite a bit.

2014-07-15 8:23 AM

New user

So is the bike route the same as last year, or different? Wasn't last year's relatively short?
2014-07-15 11:14 AM
in reply to: andersonbrianl

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
It's different than last year. Last year there was construction and one of the roads wasn't available so they had to change the course. This year it is back to how it has been other years.
2014-07-15 2:10 PM
in reply to: 0

I too will be doing this race on Sun (weather permittng) as a warmup for Princeton 70.3. - my first HIM which 'Im totally terrified about. I know nothing about this race except the times appear to be quick compared to most OLYs I've done and I'm wondering how I can possibly make it to the middle of the pack with the previous AG times I've seen. Will also do the bike and run courses cold knowing nothing about them (actually the bike is a 2 looper so at least the second lap won't be cold). Fully expect to be passed by all you tri-bikers as I only own a roadie without aerobars (bars are my next investment for princeton).

Other than the swim which is similar besides length I dont see any similarities with the princeton 70.3 course but it should be fun. Any advice from those of you who have already done this race (I know about the wetsuit situation with the temperature. Not happy about it and hoping rain over the next few days will cool things down so can use it - dont care about podium so if it's allowed I will use it!) Bringing the family and going to Sesame place day before. Hopefully my time with Elmo will relax me (though chasing 2 five year olds might give me a bit of a workout for thr NJ State OLY!)

Edited by gzh6464 2014-07-15 2:12 PM
2014-07-16 8:42 AM
in reply to: gzh6464

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
yeah no similarities is right. Typically the Oly is just stifling hot so hoping that's not the case this year. The bike course really is flat but the run has decent sections with no shade at all which again can be real tough if it is really hot out.

Originally posted by gzh6464

I too will be doing this race on Sun (weather permittng) as a warmup for Princeton 70.3. - my first HIM which 'Im totally terrified about. I know nothing about this race except the times appear to be quick compared to most OLYs I've done and I'm wondering how I can possibly make it to the middle of the pack with the previous AG times I've seen. Will also do the bike and run courses cold knowing nothing about them (actually the bike is a 2 looper so at least the second lap won't be cold). Fully expect to be passed by all you tri-bikers as I only own a roadie without aerobars (bars are my next investment for princeton).

Other than the swim which is similar besides length I dont see any similarities with the princeton 70.3 course but it should be fun. Any advice from those of you who have already done this race (I know about the wetsuit situation with the temperature. Not happy about it and hoping rain over the next few days will cool things down so can use it - dont care about podium so if it's allowed I will use it!) Bringing the family and going to Sesame place day before. Hopefully my time with Elmo will relax me (though chasing 2 five year olds might give me a bit of a workout for thr NJ State OLY!)
2014-07-16 8:51 AM

User image

This will be my first Olympic distance race. My only other tri was last year's Hightstown Sprint. Just looking to finish, and not embarrass myself. If I go under 2:50 I think I'll be very happy.

2014-07-18 12:54 PM
in reply to: sethjk

User image

PA

First time doing this race. I'm behind schedule on training, but looking forward to racing anyway. So, what I'm getting is that it's unlikely to be wetsuit-legal?

Bob

2014-07-20 6:12 PM
in reply to: #5022385

User image

Regular
I'll post a review, but CGI racing does a fantastic job with these races. First Oly for me, finished in 3:10, with a goal of 3:15, so I'm satisfied. I trained well, but it was tougher than I expected.
2014-07-20 7:41 PM

User image

Originally posted by hessma

I'll post a review, but CGI racing does a fantastic job with these races. First Oly for me, finished in 3:10, with a goal of 3:15, so I'm satisfied. I trained well, but it was tougher than I expected.

Good job on beating your goal! my 5 or 6th time doing the NJ state and always a great race...this was the best weather probably in the races history!
2014-07-21 3:58 PM

User image

Originally posted by hessma

I agree that CGI did a fantastic job, especially on the run course. the only complaint I could make was for spectators- the directions for detours were not well marked as per my wife.

I finished! It was my first olympic. My time was awful, in large part because I'm a very weak swimmer. 3:39 was my overall time but I was really done in by a 58 minute swim split. I'd never swam quite as long and have had pretty limited access to swimming. I'm going to be upping my swim training a ton this winter and really think I can vastly improve next year.

Did anybody else notice a pretty tough headwind sometime around 10am(ish) on the bike course. It really slowed me down for a while there. That climb back into the park also seemed rough, but maybe because I was just so tired.

Can't wait till next year.
2014-07-21 7:26 PM
in reply to: #5028193

User image

Regular
The wind really caught me by surprise. I was in the 3rd from last wave (45-49) so I was on the bike course around the time you describe. And once the wind died down, the sun came out! I have to say, this race is usually brutally hot, so I didn't mind yesterday's weather. The only tactical mistake was leaving my wetsuit home. Last years water temp was 88 degrees!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread

Started by colesdad
Views: 4743 Posts: 17

2012-07-22 7:11 PM mattramirez

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 6566 Posts: 36

2011-07-23 8:21 PM colesdad

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Fechter99
Views: 9688 Posts: 57

2011-07-28 4:38 PM nakdboardr

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 12801 Posts: 121

2009-12-10 2:19 PM colesdad

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by charder
Views: 2962 Posts: 18

2006-07-28 9:09 PM Shanks
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!