Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Leftovers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-07 3:24 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: The Leftovers

A new series on HBO. Already into the 2nd week and I am not getting it. I know sometimes it takes a few weeks for a show to get good, but I am not sure about this one. Anyone else watching and is as confused as I am?

2014-07-07 3:39 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: The Leftovers

I watched the first episode. It was... weird. I started watching it because I liked the "Breakers" series. In that series most of the planet gets wiped out and it focuses on the people left and how they live. So, I thought it might be along that same vein. Not seeming so. In the series I liked, LOTS of people were killed, not just a few. I totally don't get the people who wear all white, don't talk, and smoke all the time. I mentioned to my boyfriend it reminded of my "Lost" and he said the guy who did "Lost" wrote this series too. I'll give it a couple of episodes, but if it doesn't start grabbing me, I'm done. 

2014-07-07 4:32 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Extreme Veteran
We don't have HBO, but I read the book a few years back. It was interesting enough for me to finish, but there was never a moment where it all really made sense or got anywhere.
2014-07-07 5:05 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Elite

Totally not getting it. Which is a shame because I like some of the actors a lot. I watched it last night... ya, not getting it. and I watched the previews before it came on, and all they kept say was "what if 2% mysteriously disappeared..." OK, well that is stupid. Died, abducted for anal probing... what ever, but just vanished... I can't seem to get past that.

And I am definitely not in for another "Lost". What a complete waste of time that was. Every week more questions, zero answers. Years on end, to be left with nothing. Oh.... he was dead. Infuriating. 

2014-07-07 5:38 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i read the book (randomly picked it up on a clearance rack last summer) and it was easy and somewhat entertaining summer reading but...definitely not something i would have turned into a series.  has potential but the book never really goes anywhere.

2014-07-07 6:02 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Sensei
Sin City

From these stellar reviews, I may erase them! 

I don't need another new show to track.  True Blood has started up again, Under the Dome, Defiance, Penny Dreadful...  I also recorded Dominion which is a new series.  I used to think SciFi channel series were pretty bad.  Low budget special effects, etc.  But they are starting to step it up some...

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I can't get to any of them with World Cup and TdF on now!  YAY for REAL reality TV!

2014-07-07 6:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Originally posted by powerman

...And I am definitely not in for another "Lost". What a complete waste of time that was. Every week more questions, zero answers. Years on end, to be left with nothing. Oh.... he was dead. Infuriating. 

I was just commiserating with someone recently over how bad that ending was and how pi$$ed I was at wasting years on it. Ever since, any time a show looks like it will be heavy on mystery and light on answers I stop watching (I'm looking at you ABCs Resurrection). Based on the reviews I won't even start with The Leftovers.
2014-07-07 6:07 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Totally not getting it. Which is a shame because I like some of the actors a lot. I watched it last night... ya, not getting it. and I watched the previews before it came on, and all they kept say was "what if 2% mysteriously disappeared..." OK, well that is stupid. Died, abducted for anal probing... what ever, but just vanished... I can't seem to get past that.

And I am definitely not in for another "Lost". What a complete waste of time that was. Every week more questions, zero answers. Years on end, to be left with nothing. Oh.... he was dead. Infuriating. 

Ah man!  A "Lost" spoiler!  Guess I don't need to watch them...

I never saw a SECOND of Lost.  Though I might borrow them for the library and catch up.

2014-07-07 6:17 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Kido

Ah man!  A "Lost" spoiler!  Guess I don't need to watch them...

I never saw a SECOND of Lost.  Though I might borrow them for the library and catch up.

It was good crack. Sucked in very quick.... you just HAD to find out what happened next week.... but all that ever happened was you just had to see next week. then it was over. Absolute waste of time. 

2014-07-08 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I watched the second episode last night. Mildly interested. Can't really see where this is going. I have to believe HBO wouldn't put out a crappy show, but only time will tell.
2014-07-08 8:50 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Kido
I also recorded Dominion which is a new series. 

I'm liking this show.

2014-07-09 9:53 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Originally posted by jarvy01

I watched the second episode last night. Mildly interested. Can't really see where this is going. I have to believe HBO wouldn't put out a crappy show, but only time will tell.

How about the series that premiered after the Sopranos finale, John from Cincinnati? That was dreadful. And I think a mistake coming off a pretty emotional series finale, people weren't ready for something new. At least I wasn't.

Back to Leftovers: I watched the first two episodes, and they're slowly rolling out more on the story overall, but Damon Lindelof said in some interview that the focus was not going to be on the mystery of how the 2% disappeared, the story is more about the people still around, and how they adjust to it all.

I'm still giving it some time. Several story threads are developing, could be interesting.

My wife couldn't get past the 2% disappearing; I could accept it and watch the story. Seems somewhat biblical with the rapture concept. I grew up with all that, so maybe for me it's easier to accept.

Flashback, anyone see the movie "A thief in the night"? Basically a movie about the second coming, produced by a Christian group. I saw it when I was about 15 with my church youth group, and it freaked me out at the time. But that was the idea I suppose.

2014-07-09 10:59 AM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tcj103

Originally posted by jarvy01

How about the series that premiered after the Sopranos finale, John from Cincinnati? That was dreadful. And I think a mistake coming off a pretty emotional series finale, people weren't ready for something new. At least I wasn't.

Back to Leftovers: I watched the first two episodes, and they're slowly rolling out more on the story overall, but Damon Lindelof said in some interview that the focus was not going to be on the mystery of how the 2% disappeared, the story is more about the people still around, and how they adjust to it all.

I'm still giving it some time. Several story threads are developing, could be interesting.

My wife couldn't get past the 2% disappearing; I could accept it and watch the story. Seems somewhat biblical with the rapture concept. I grew up with all that, so maybe for me it's easier to accept.

Flashback, anyone see the movie "A thief in the night"? Basically a movie about the second coming, produced by a Christian group. I saw it when I was about 15 with my church youth group, and it freaked me out at the time. But that was the idea I suppose.

I was in college when Sopranos aired live, so I watched it in rerun/dvd. I don't think I caught John in Cincinnati. My favorite series ever is Six Feet Under. I'm obsessed with Game of Thrones, too.
2014-07-14 4:53 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

After last night, I am done with the Leftovers...

I tried, I reall y tried, but with Ray Donovan coming on, I'd rather watch that.

2014-07-29 12:58 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
My wife and I watch it. It's weird and sometimes slow moving but I like some of the characters so we'll throw it on the DVR every week. The episode from this past Sunday was pretty good. I almost feel like it's getting somewhere, but then it's not, but then it moves again a bit.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Leftovers Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Holiday Leftovers? Pages: 1 2

Started by TriAya
Views: 1775 Posts: 27

2011-12-28 8:55 AM TriAya

What's YOUR deal with leftovers? Pages: 1 2

Started by merlin2375
Views: 1665 Posts: 41

2009-12-03 10:26 PM CitySky