General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-09 11:35 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Half Marathon Training
Thinking of doing my first Half in November (Philadelphia) and looking at training plans. Its an increase in my running mileage, but I also don't want to lose the swim/bike portion and start from scratch in winter. Is there a plan that incorporates swimming/biking day or days into a half marathon training program? Should I just use swimming as a "break" from running or a recovery day activity?

Might be a dumb question, but I'm new to HM training.

2014-07-09 11:55 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Half Marathon Training

My view - if a HM is after the end of your tri season (assuming you're primarily a tri person, as the post suggests), then it's a great way to do a run focus with a carrot at the end (assuming also that you like racing, of course!).

I've done this a few times in the past year, and you can mostly maintain the swim and bike while improving the run.  Then you can leverage the build up in your run the following season - bonus!  

As for how often to swim/bike, that depends on a couple things:  how hard you want to push the run (just finish well, or reeeeeeally go for it and PR by as much as possible); how much of a break you want from s/b (if at all); how much time you have to train; and how well you recover.  And prolly other stuff, too - but these come to mind quickly.

IIRC the first couple times I cut back to 2 swim and 2 bike sessions a week (one harder and one more as a recovery in each) with usually 5 or 6 days a week running.  I was surprised that neither s nor b slipped all that far after a 3 month run focus.  They definitely slipped some, but it was enough work to keep the base there and bring it back moderately quickly when back into balanced training mode.

I wouldn't do it too close to the start of a season or before a tri you cared about putting down your best time - better to be balanced in training for that I think - but as an immediate post-race-season or off season pursuit, I think it would be fine.

And HM's are a WICKED FUN distance!  Enjoy!!

Matt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cross training & half marathon training benefits?

Started by Bigpikle
Views: 985 Posts: 7

2009-11-17 11:56 PM Bigpikle

half marathon training question

Started by Sassafras
Views: 473 Posts: 6

2005-11-03 2:08 PM Daremo

Half-marathon training plan

Started by igbomb
Views: 1204 Posts: 9

2005-06-02 4:27 PM econway

Half marathon training in a month?

Started by Reiley
Views: 635 Posts: 4

2004-08-21 12:50 AM Ron

Half Marathon Training?

Started by julesf
Views: 664 Posts: 10

2004-07-09 8:39 PM CindyK
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : February 23, 2010
comments : 1
Can I do extra running miles for my two half marathons while starting a half Ironman training program?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.
date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.