Subject: I feel GREAT!
Sun -11 miles run
Mon -32 miles bike
Tue- 2000y swim & 6.8 miles run
Wed - 37 miles bike
Thu - 2000y swim & 7.8 miles run
Today- 65.5 miles bike
tomorrow - 1500y swim

So, decent volume as I jump back into HIM training. I need to tweak things like intensity in the swim and I kinda dogged most of today's long ride.

This isn't really a post to brag, I was wondering how soon it is before you realize you hit it too hard. If I feel good after a week, that's one thing, but is this usually a thing that catches up with you after 2wks? 3wks? When do I know I'm safe to increase? Just go ahead as planned and back off if I start to feel the need?

2014-07-18 12:05 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: RE: I feel GREAT!
This week pretty much same as last. Just a little bit more on each.

Went for an 8 mile run yesterday, felt good on the run. Started the rider up when I got home, mowed for 1/2 hour. Started push mower up and mowed the rest, but as I neared completion my ankle started to hurt pretty bad. Only hurts with weight bearing, and I can feel a ligament all swollen in there. If I get up and walk around it's kinda painful for the first few steps, and gets a little better as I move on. Just sitting here I feel great.

Today was a long ride, but my long ride is going to wait. I actually think cycling wouldn't hurt to bad, but I'm going full stop before this thing gets any worse. We'll see about sunday's long run.

I think I have a decent base and am far enough out that this won't be a big deal, but only if it doesn't turn into a full blown injury (I'd qualify it as more of an aggravation, currently).

The frustrating thing is that it didn't come on slowly, like any other overuse injury I've had. I usually feel tightness or slight pains somewhere that build over a couple of workouts. This was after a workout that felt normal and actually pretty decent. Just finished a 27 mile running week!
2014-07-18 2:31 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

What part of the ankle?  If it's in the soft spot just below the ankle bone (on the inside) it could be posterior tibial tendonitis....overuse injury.  I had it...didn't run for a few days then started back slowly and used an ankle brace for the 1st few runs.  If that's what you have you might want to look up exercises and stretches that target this area.  

2014-07-18 2:37 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by JoelO

What part of the ankle?  If it's in the soft spot just below the ankle bone (on the inside) it could be posterior tibial tendonitis....overuse injury.  I had it...didn't run for a few days then started back slowly and used an ankle brace for the 1st few runs.  If that's what you have you might want to look up exercises and stretches that target this area.  

That's exactly where it is, and I had come to an identical (self) diagnosis! How bad did yours get? I feel like mine is feeling a little better already. I don't feel at all like I need a brace, so hopefully I caught mine before it got as bad as yours.
2014-07-18 2:47 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Mine wasn't too bad either but I used the brace as a crutch to get my mileage in (marathon build).  I used the exercises mentioned in this article and it went away within a couple of weeks.  http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/tibialis-tendinitis.html#

2014-07-25 10:08 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Ok, it's been a heck of a week. I took a few days off on purpose because I could still feel something in the ankle. Figured it would be better to take a little time now and come back healed up.

Then I got sick. In the middle of summer I got a freaking virus of some sort. Feverish for two days and still cold type symptoms for the past few days. Forced me to hold off on working out. As of this morning I feel nothing in the ankle, but I did yesterday morning (though much diminished pain).

I'd guess the illness was from weakened immune system from full stop on working out. The same thing usually happens to me if I haven't worked out for an extended period and then come on strong.

Anyway, I think I'll start back Monday. I'll ease into it with a bike ride...

Starting to worry I won't be ready come Oct 5...

2014-09-12 10:37 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Update again... I got poison ivy, had to get a shot, reacted to the shot, took a friggen ton of Benadryl for about two weeks. There went another week of training, so I completely gave up. I'm ashamed to admit this here, but I haven't swam in over a month, and my riding has taken a huge dive. Running has been steady, but not spectacular. I've completely bailed on my HIM plans. Will make another go some other day.

Current short term goal is to run a decent 5k at the end of the month, but I ran a 5k a couple of weeks ago and my time had dropped by over a minute since the spring.

Wife and her best friend are doing a sprint this weekend, and another good friend just did his first IM at IM Wisconsin (9:36) so I'm feeling like a bum. I plan on hitting it all again the first of December. Just want to run focus right now (have been bike commuting to work, so some miles there)

Ironic end for a thread labeled "I feel great!"...
2014-09-12 10:40 PM

User image

Pro

End?  Did you say end? 

No.

2014-09-12 10:45 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by Left Brain

End?  Did you say end? 

No.

Just the end of this thread. I've got a tab open looking at tri bikes, so defintely not THE end. I have one goal every year and that's to be better than the last. Even without this race, I have achieved that. I intend to continue towards that goal with my remaining few running races as well as whatever 2015 brings. My only regret is not starting a HM plan for the race that I've run the last two years in mid October. I plan on running it, but I just can't be competitive at this point.
2014-09-12 10:48 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Sounds like a heck of a summer.  Bummer that it didn't work out as planned.  Hopefully you managed to fit some fun in and that you can enjoy a healthy Fall.  There's nothing wrong with taking a realistic look and saying, "Now just isn't the time."  That HIM will be waiting for you whenever you're ready to tackle it again. 

2014-09-12 10:51 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Danno77
Originally posted by Left Brain

End?  Did you say end? 

No.

Just the end of this thread. I've got a tab open looking at tri bikes, so defintely not THE end. I have one goal every year and that's to be better than the last. Even without this race, I have achieved that. I intend to continue towards that goal with my remaining few running races as well as whatever 2015 brings. My only regret is not starting a HM plan for the race that I've run the last two years in mid October. I plan on running it, but I just can't be competitive at this point.

Nice.  Believe it or not.....even that race will serve you well down the road. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I feel GREAT! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Just did HIM for training...feel great

Started by completelyhis
Views: 726 Posts: 3

2013-07-21 1:52 AM completelyhis

OWS #2 done and feeling great!

Started by lakelandsledder
Views: 566 Posts: 3

2011-07-22 10:28 AM tuwood

First Podium Feels Great

Started by csharp1171
Views: 1511 Posts: 15

2010-04-25 8:14 AM lodewey

Feeling great!

Started by gomom_shell
Views: 736 Posts: 4

2010-02-02 8:33 AM cornchexs

that felt GREAT!

Started by autumn
Views: 684 Posts: 8

2005-01-06 10:34 AM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.
date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : January 5, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
As a sports dietitian, I spend too many hours helping my clients find peace with their bodies. So what can you do if you are discontent with your body?

date : October 4, 2006
author : trijesse
comments : 1
After years of waiting....its all about to change! This was my first triathlon and I have to say that the whole thing was amazing to me.
date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...