General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to handle an unsuccessful brick? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-13 6:30 PM

User image

Subject: How to handle an unsuccessful brick?
I am 8 months into training for my first ironman. My training has gone well and I've had no setbacks. However, today, I was to complete a multi brick (my first one-- and I was SOOOOO excited for it): 90 min run/2 hr bike/40 min swim. Without getting into details, I had to cut the bike short- only completed 13 miles and didn't do the swim. I felt like a complete failure and began wondering if I could handle a full. What are some of your suggestions/coping mechanisms for handling workout letdowns or bad training days? (this was my first one-- but 6 weeks out from my race.. is heartbreaking)

2014-07-13 7:01 PM
in reply to: itri04

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: RE: How to handle an unsuccessful brick?

What was reason for stopping? Your training log is blank so hard to understand training history.

2014-07-13 8:11 PM

Regular
It's only one workout. Don't let it interfere with your training schedule. You said you were really excited, did you go too hard on run?
2014-07-14 7:13 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

I just joined, so I haven't been keeping a log on here.
I stopped for a few reasons- early last week I got a knot/kink in my left shoulder and neck. It hurts the most when I ride in aero. I was 4 miles in the bike when it started to bother me. I couldn't even turn my head to look for traffic. And I started too late- about noon. So it was 88* with 90% humidity. Even though I took powerade and chews on the run- I was completely taxed.
2014-07-14 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Coopersburg, PA
I had a bad workout yesterday also. Was scheduled for a 3 hour ride and 2 hour run. Last long workout before IMLP. Wasnt able to get on the bike until after 12pm because of my wifes work schedule and the kids. Paced well on the bike but towards the end I felt pretty flat. It was 84 degrees with 67% humidity. Got off the bike and started my run and knew I wasnt going to be able to make it. Only ended up doing 5 miles of the run with a walk break every mile. And you know what I felt? Nothing. This isnt my profession, it doesnt put food on the table and I do it for fun. So what if I had a bad day. Poop happens. The humidity got to me and I bonked. Big deal. Move onto your next workout and do the best you can. Thats all you can expect from yourself.
2014-07-17 10:16 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
I've had brick workouts reduce me to tears. So fatigued, so tired, and then doubt and fear set in...it isn't pretty standing on the side of the road crying like a baby.
But, picking yourself up, overcoming that and going on to train the next day is what makes you stronger. Triathlon is not just a physical sport - huge mental aspect as well and that gets tired just like everything else.

I usually find that a bad workout usually comes right before a very good one, even a breakthrough moment. Like your body has to hit rock bottom before rising to the top.

Plus the bad workouts really make us appreciate the good ones!

Stay consistent and I'm sure you will find that the good training days outnumber the bad. Good luck!

2014-07-30 5:56 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So ya one workout that goes sucky is not a big deal. It can mean that you are carying too much fatigue and need a rest day, it could mean that you are not heat acclimated or did not fuel or hydrate well or it could be that the workout was too much for your current fitness level. I have done 5 IMs and have never done a brick like you describe. Sure I have done 120 mile bike 6 mile run brick, but not swim after that would not be good. Not sure what training plan you are doing, but it may be a bit aggressive for your first IM. If your back and neck are tight or painful in aero... don't ride in aero, complete your bike on the horns and get the workout done, work the kink out and worry about aero another day. I did an IM 1 month ago with a muscle spasm in my back and shoulder... not fun, try to get that worked out before your race, find what is causing it if possible. Going out too hard in a pacing workout can fry you for sure as well. But 1 workout does not mean you are not going to be ready. Filling in logs will help us get a feel for how ready you are. What are your current long bike, run and swims for the week?
2014-07-31 11:55 AM
in reply to: Live2ski

User image

Originally posted by Live2ski

I had a bad workout yesterday also. Was scheduled for a 3 hour ride and 2 hour run. Last long workout before IMLP. Wasnt able to get on the bike until after 12pm because of my wifes work schedule and the kids. Paced well on the bike but towards the end I felt pretty flat. It was 84 degrees with 67% humidity. Got off the bike and started my run and knew I wasnt going to be able to make it. Only ended up doing 5 miles of the run with a walk break every mile. And you know what I felt? Nothing. This isnt my profession, it doesnt put food on the table and I do it for fun. So what if I had a bad day. Poop happens. The humidity got to me and I bonked. Big deal. Move onto your next workout and do the best you can. Thats all you can expect from yourself.

Love your outlook!!!
2014-07-31 11:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I am sort of new to the long course training and it appears that my plan avoids workouts like this. Not saying that's good or bad but it sort of sent me into a panic. Do very many people have long workouts where they RUN before they BIKE AND SWIM? I am just wondering because now I am thinking maybe I should add some like this. I do a lot of long runs followed by long swims (just this morning I ran 9 miles at 8:26 pace and then swam 3000 meters including speed work). This is something I do a few times a week only because I have 3 little kids and I have to. However, I only have short bricks in my plan so should I be doing more workouts like the one that just stumped you? Sorry to hijack!!! I am just curious what others say. I don't think you should beat yourself up. Now, if this happened every week during your long workout I would start to get a little concerned. One time is nothing! Think about how often we have one bad race per season and just beat ourselves up about it after. It doesn't feel good, but we keep training and next time it's better! If you have been following your training plan up until now you are probably just fine! That's my opinion, of course!

Edited by midwesttrimom 2014-07-31 12:27 PM
2014-08-01 11:28 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The usual IM training brick is ride your bike long and then run anywhere from 3 to 6 miles after your long bike. Out of order bricks tend to not be in plans, but you can do it however you want to. Just don't do OWS as your last event of the day 8). I have never done a run and then bike brick and I have never done a all 3 brick. I have done all 3 in one day, but break it up some for recovery between. If you put in the distances you will be fine even if you didn't do any bricks.
2014-08-10 9:19 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Originally posted by Baowolf

The usual IM training brick is ride your bike long and then run anywhere from 3 to 6 miles after your long bike. Out of order bricks tend to not be in plans, but you can do it however you want to. Just don't do OWS as your last event of the day 8). I have never done a run and then bike brick and I have never done a all 3 brick. I have done all 3 in one day, but break it up some for recovery between. If you put in the distances you will be fine even if you didn't do any bricks.

FYI to all- Just to see what it felt like I flipped my bike and run yesterday (2:00 run followed by 1 hour bike) and my legs felt MORE tired. However, I think it actually helped my recovery by doing it this way because after running my legs were so sore, but by the time I got off the bike they felt good. I can see how getting on your bike for 2 hours after a longer, hard run could be tough, though. Thanks for the info.

How have the workouts been going since this one?

2014-08-12 7:34 AM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Thank you for this reply! That's exactly what happened- I climbed the first hill on the bike course, got to the top and started crying. I think it was a combination of pure fatigue, dehydration, and perhaps I was just having a bad day. But it SO good to know that I am not alone. I have done all of my training alone- and since this is my first full distance, I really don't know what to expect.
For the record- that was my rock bottom- and it has been AWESOME since! THANKS A BUNCH!!
2014-08-12 7:39 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Thank you. I do realize now that I likely overreacted. I was so excited to do the brick and I wanted and needed it to be successful. When I quit- I was devastated. I know I started too late in the day- I began at noon when the heat and humidity were at their worst. So getting on the bike after a 90 min run was painful.
I have a coach- so I am following his specific training plan. It has gone well for me. I have PR-ed my half distance by 25 minutes and won my first half of the season.

I was trying to keep the log on here- but I use Training Peaks and it is just time consuming to fill out both.

Last week was my biggest week so far- 15 hours- and I had 2 very successful workouts. Saturday was a 6 mile run, 80 mile bike, and 10 mile run. The last run was not easy- but I did it and ended it with a pickup up the last hill. I felt good about that. Then Sunday was an 18 mile on obviously very tired legs. I was able to maintain pace and I felt good when i finished.
2014-08-12 7:43 AM

User image

Yes- it is not easy to start the bike on tired legs- but I think my coach's perspective is it puts in the last half of the bike almost immediately. Forces you to stay up on hydration and nutrition and work those tired legs. I've done a few reverse bricks (I call them) when I run first and then bike. I usually dread them because I know it's going to hurt- but I also know it's making me stronger.

2014-08-12 8:19 AM

User image

Originally posted by itri04

Yes- it is not easy to start the bike on tired legs- but I think my coach's perspective is it puts in the last half of the bike almost immediately. Forces you to stay up on hydration and nutrition and work those tired legs. I've done a few reverse bricks (I call them) when I run first and then bike. I usually dread them because I know it's going to hurt- but I also know it's making me stronger.

Yep, I will be doing a few more mainly due to time and wanting to run with my group (they go EARLY) so that leaves late for biking. Glad you worked through the frustration and are back on track. It's so hard to know if you are doing everything right. I train alone for the bikes and swims. I typically run with a marathon training group when I can but my pace is getting so much slower it's tough. Agree- we have to suffer now to feel better during our race, right?
2014-08-12 11:41 AM

User image

When is your IM?
I'm doing the Cedar Point Full Rev in about 4 weeks.

It is so hard to know what is right and if it's something you should mentally push through, or if it's time to take a break. This being my first full distance- I have way more questions than answers

That's my motto! Suffer now so I don't suffer later (or at least suffer now so I know HOW to suffer later!)

2014-08-12 7:05 PM
in reply to: #5025122

User image

Florida- November 1. I did not hire a coach mainly because of the initial cost of travel, Ironman brand, etc. Most days I am ok with that decision, but other days I freak out!
2014-08-12 8:16 PM

User image

That should be a good race.
I feel your pain with the cost (but for me the race site is 30 min away, so I've been biking & running on the course all summer)- having a coach is more a mental comfort than anything. This is only my first full- but if you have questions, I'd try to help
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to handle an unsuccessful brick? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3Tri Branson - Advice to handle hills

Started by FranzZemen
Views: 2202 Posts: 24

2013-10-02 12:54 PM TriBoilermaker

Rev3Tri Branson - Advice to handle hills

Started by FranzZemen
Views: 832 Posts: 2

2013-10-09 1:55 PM pnelson

Strategy for handling short very steep hills?

Started by mrcurtain
Views: 2191 Posts: 10

2010-05-07 12:19 AM gvey

What is Your Longest Brick For Ironman Pages: 1 2

Started by CKinsey
Views: 4644 Posts: 26

2014-09-11 10:40 AM KathyG

What is your longest BRICK for an HIM?

Started by swiss tri
Views: 1730 Posts: 12

2007-06-15 7:46 PM tri-chic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 3, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 10
Brick workouts are one of THE most important parts of training that you should be doing. Read why and find example brick workouts for any distance.

date : July 20, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Strategies for getting used to running off the bike when starting triathlon or taking on a new distance.
date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
comments : 0
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.