General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon - "Must haves" for race day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-14 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands
Subject: Triathlon - "Must haves" for race day

I was looking over my race prep list for the last race and thought I haven't seen this in the forum for a while, so for all the new triathletes out there, here's my race equipment list with what I consider critical highlighted in red.  I would encourage those that have been tri'ing longer or generally more experienced than I, to chime in on what they think is critical for new triathletes.

Swim
• Anti-Fog Solution
• Body Glide
• Cap
• Goggles
• Spare Goggles
• Swim Suit/Tri Suit
• Wetsuit (if it's wetsuit legal, IMO a wetsuit is important, free efficiency/time off for me! outweighs the time to remove it)
• Wetsuit Lube
Bike
• Aero Water Bottle Elastic
• Aero Water Bottle Straw
• Bike
• CO2 Accessories
• CO2 Cartridge/Pump
• Cycling Shoes
• Floor Pump
• Helmet
• Socks
• Spare Tube
• Sunglasses
• Tire Levers
• Water Bottles
• Wrench Set/Tools

*if it's a sprint some don't carry the spare tubes and tire changing kit, I carry mine on every race. it fits into the smallest Continental saddle bag on my rear hydration mount

Run
• Hat
• Running Shoes
• Sunglasses
• Water Bottle
• Flip Flops/Sandals
• Post Race Clothing
• Towel

Miscellaneous
• Body Glide (wonderful stuff)
• Cell Phone
• Confirmation Letter/Email
• Contacts
• Directions to Race
• Energy Bars
• Energy Drink
• Energy Gels
• Garbage Bag (collect all wet/dirty kit post race)
• Gear/Transition Bag
• Heart Rate Monitor
• Heart Rate Monitor Chest Strap
• Race Number Belt
• Sun Block - too many horror stories from lots on here, including my own not to use sun block!
• Towel for Transition Area
• Water
• Wrist Watch

2014-07-14 11:42 AM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

Subject: RE: Triathlon - "Must haves" for race day
I like that you listed spare goggles. Since I forgot my goggles at a race last year, I have just started keeping a pair in my car.

For the bike, I would add gloves. I live in a humid, hilly area, and ride a road bike. Gloves are worth the extra 5 seconds to prevent my hands from slipping on the handlebars.

Advice someone gave me that I found useful was to sprinkle a heavy dose of baby power inside my socks (or if you don't wear them, shoes) to help them go on faster in T1. I keep a travel-size container of baby power in the same bag as my spare goggles.

Also, because I am allergic to the latex swim caps, I take a few silicone swim caps of various colors (women 40+ are almost always purple or pink) so I can wear my own. I find that having to double up on swim caps (silicone under the latex and hope I don't have a reaction) is just uncomfortable.

However, to share advice from a clinic I went to before my first race, the instructor held up a swim suit, helmet, and bike, and said that was all we really need to race. Everything else was a matter of preference.
2014-07-14 5:56 PM

User image

Delco, PA

These aren't exactly critical, but I do have a couple to add to the list.

1. A foot-sized Tupperware container for T1.  Lots of swims exit out of a sandy area, and instead of using squirt bottles to get the sand off your feet before putting your shoes on, all it takes is one quick deep of each foot into the container full of water.

2. A neon-colored t-shirt or bag or something to that effect.  If there's any trees near or inside the transition area, hang it up there.  If not, see if you can place it just on the floor of your rack (watch out for USAT official for misplaced item).   I always count out my rack regardless, but it does help seeing a bright orange item.  We're not always thinking "Rack number 13" out of the swim or in from the bike when running into transition.  A bright colored item marking the spot, even if it's three racks away, really does help.

2014-07-14 10:23 PM
in reply to: #5025419

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I'm gearing up for my first triathlon at the end of next month and greatly appreciate you guys posting this advice, great timing! Quick question about how you handle your race bib. Is there a belt that anyone would reccommend? You don't need one for the swim, right? How about for the bike? Sorry I just didn't see (after a quick read through) a means of displaying your race number on the lists thought I would ask.
2014-07-15 9:19 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Each time I prep I print out this list and modify as I go.  Feel free to print / use / modify.  If anyone has any suggestions, let me know and I can incorporate.

Thanks,

-Dennis

Attachments
----------------
Triathlon Checklist_07152014.docx (14KB - 29 downloads)
2014-07-15 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by ChemNerd23 I'm gearing up for my first triathlon at the end of next month and greatly appreciate you guys posting this advice, great timing! Quick question about how you handle your race bib. Is there a belt that anyone would reccommend? You don't need one for the swim, right? How about for the bike? Sorry I just didn't see (after a quick read through) a means of displaying your race number on the lists thought I would ask.

Hi, it's on the list - Race Number Belt.

I didn't highlight it as it's a (relatively small) expense that you can do without, (pin number to shirt you put on after swim etc.)

I use a standard race number belt (powerbar) from a few years back, no gel loops or pouches.  you can get them for under $10 with loops and a small pouch if you need it.

the belt does work nicely when you have to wear the number on the bike and run sections.

2014-07-15 9:40 AM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by C_Hassard

1. A foot-sized Tupperware container for T1.  Lots of swims exit out of a sandy area, and instead of using squirt bottles to get the sand off your feet before putting your shoes on, all it takes is one quick deep of each foot into the container full of water.

2. A neon-colored t-shirt or bag or something to that effect.  If there's any trees near or inside the transition area, hang it up there.  If not, see if you can place it just on the floor of your rack (watch out for USAT official for misplaced item).   I always count out my rack regardless, but it does help seeing a bright orange item.  We're not always thinking "Rack number 13" out of the swim or in from the bike when running into transition.  A bright colored item marking the spot, even if it's three racks away, really does help.

I use a squirting water bottle to rinse feet in T1.  Works ok, but I've seen a lot do the bucket/Tupperware thing

2014-07-15 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
What, no bucket? Saw a guy fall on his bike as he was leaving the parking lot heading down to T1, he fell because he was tryiing to ride his bike holding a bucket and his large backpack. Bucket: How to look like a newbie on race day......

I actually being duplicates of some items for two reasons, myself and to help other athletes when they're in a pinch. This is a great community, love the comraderie.

Good list, thanks for sharing everyone.
2014-07-15 11:11 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

For goggles, I always have a tinted and non-tinted pair.  Most of the time I use tinted, but I had one race that started in the rain and had to use clear.

2014-07-16 12:21 AM
in reply to: #5025752

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
@ dewybuck - opps I missed that in my read through. There's just so much to keep track of! I appreciate the list, as I printed it out and will use it when preparing for my first tri next month.
2014-07-16 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by ChemNerd23 @ dewybuck - opps I missed that in my read through. There's just so much to keep track of! I appreciate the list, as I printed it out and will use it when preparing for my first tri next month.

There is a lot to think about, more than putting on a pair of trainers and running...

Good luck in your Tri next month.  I should have added to the list - Relax and Enjoy.  For your first tri, I think this is the single most "critical" thing to remember :-)

2014-07-16 9:25 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I would consider the number belt to be a must have!

2014-07-16 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

What is "Needed" for a tri is pretty minimal.  Think about what items if you don't have you CANNOT participate.  

Nudity is generally prohibited, so you need an outfit to wear when you swim, bike, and run.  It can be a swimsuit.  Some races require you to cover your torso after the swim, so that might mean a t-shirt also.  

You need a functional bike (brakes, bar ends plugged) and bike helmet.  The bike can be just about anything from a carbon fiber tri-specific bike with race wheels to a $50 department store special.  

You'll probably want shoes for the ride and run, although some might do these barefooted.  They can be a single pair of running shoes or a pair of cycling shoes and a pair of running shoes.  If your bike has clipless pedals, you *need* the corresponding shoes.  

You *might* need ID (if you drive, you probably have your driver's license).  

Some races require a wetsuit, but necessity is dictated by water temperatures, not speed improvements.  

The race almost always supplies the swim cap as these may designate which wave you are assigned.  

Can you swim without goggles?  Yes, but you may not like doing so.  Can you run without a hat?  Sure.  Can you skip sunscreen?  Yea, but you might get a pretty severe sunburn.  Pump or spare tube?  A flat may cause you to walk your bike for a while.  What would you do if you forgot your race belt?  (I'd get pins and attach it to my shirt.  Yes, it takes more time than a race belt, but I'm still out on the course.  If the site didn't have pins, I'd tuck the top of it into my shorts.    

Goggles, tire repair kit, pump or CO2, sunglasses, sunscreen, water bottle, and a race belt are very nice to have but aren't "needed."  

If you are starting out and do not have a tri suit or tri shorts, try running and riding in your swimsuit.  If it provides enough support and doesn't bind or chafe, wear it for the race.  

Sprint races are usually short enough that you shouldn't need nutrition and longer races usually have at least one water stop.  

2014-07-16 12:48 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Here's another point.  IM participants may spend months and years identifying what works and what doesn't work.  The adage "nothing new on race day" is works for gear and nutrition.  

We were carpooling another athlete from the hotel to the start for Vineman and about half way there, he gets quiet for a few seconds and announces that his nutrition is still back in the hotel (30 minutes away).  We don't have time to go back...We chatted a few minutes and I suggested he plan to eat off the course instead of his preferred Infinite since the alternative would be to skip all nutrition.  I suggested he throttle back his effort just a touch to deal with the anxiety and new unknowns.  He finished a very respectable race!  

2014-07-16 12:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/race-checklist.asp

For me:

Trisuit (wear to race)
Track suit (wear to race)
Flip flops (wear to race)
Wetsuit
Swim cap
Googles
Bike (often ride to race)
Trishoes with elastics (often wear while riding to race)
Helmet (wear if riding to race)
Sunglasses (wear if riding to race)
Running shoes
Race belt
Visor/hat (wear to race if not riding)
Towel

Anything more than that is just going to clutter up transition.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2014-07-16 12:54 PM
2014-07-16 1:29 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

I have never done a USAT sanctioned race that did not want to see my membership card and ID at packet pickup.

2014-07-16 4:49 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

Expert
Originally posted by happyscientist

I have never done a USAT sanctioned race that did not want to see my membership card and ID at packet pickup.

Most of the time just the membership card....except the last race I did (or actually didn't), I didn't drive and didn't bring my wallet (so no ID). They wouldn't let me race, but did give me my shirt since I was preregistered

2014-07-17 7:47 AM
in reply to: vonschnapps

User image

Originally posted by vonschnapps

Originally posted by happyscientist

Most of the time just the membership card....except the last race I did (or actually didn't), I didn't drive and didn't bring my wallet (so no ID). They wouldn't let me race, but did give me my shirt since I was preregistered

That stinks! OTOH, I recently did a gran fondo where I didn't have my driver's licence, but they let me use my USAT card as proof of ID when I picked up my packet.
2014-07-17 9:26 AM

Veteran
Originally posted by dewybuck

Originally posted by C_Hassard

I use a squirting water bottle to rinse feet in T1.  Works ok, but I've seen a lot do the bucket/Tupperware thing

given the small area you have to set up your transition - and more importantly, the small area your neighbors have, having a bucket or big Tupperware container of water in the already cramped area is obnoxious. use the water bottle method. (and don't put your full size tire pump in the transition area either). it may be an individual sport, but don't be that doesn't care, it is still a large group of people out there
2014-07-18 12:28 PM
in reply to: #5025419

I always make sure to have a HEADLAMP in my transition bag. Lots of times I'm entering the transition area before the sun is up. Having a headlamp frees my hands up for prepping my transition area.
2014-07-18 3:57 PM
in reply to: Dcme31

User image

Veteran
I have always worked off of 2 lists. Must have and nice to have.

Must have list:
Tri Kit (wet suit pending water temp)
Goggles
Helmet
Bike
Shoes (both)

If I have nothing more than this, I can race. (I do packet pick up before race day).

The rest is just "nice to have"

I spent the better part of a decade racing motorcycles. I was once so caught up in the "nice to have" list that I forgot my key to my bike... Ever since then, short list is checked over and over again, and once more before I leave the hotel/house in the AM.

I'm sure some of you have read the story about the woman that forgot her bike shoes at the hotel and didn't realize it until T1? http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/my-sto...

Yeah... short list first.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon - "Must haves" for race day Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

rack the day before or day of race?

Started by amybecca
Views: 1344 Posts: 10

2012-07-21 7:16 PM wbattaile

day before race day workout

Started by moonsegason
Views: 1738 Posts: 8

2009-10-04 7:20 PM blairrob

Must haves for 1st Tri

Started by tanyab
Views: 1028 Posts: 15

2007-06-27 11:03 AM ScottoNM

15 days to race day

Started by mcbill98
Views: 1226 Posts: 10

2006-09-02 1:34 AM Nob

Race Day = 1st day of Period Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Gwendal
Views: 4208 Posts: 60

2005-07-20 9:48 PM 1st tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : April 13, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 3
Every year thousands of triathletes spend excessive amounts of time and money on training, only to show up to the biggest race of the season with little to no plan.
date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.