General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Forest Grove, Oregon
United States
AA Sports, Ltd.
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 6s
Overall Rank = 46/161
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/12
Pre-race routine:

morning b-fast - banana and pb whole wheat bagel, Gatorade enroute to race
Event warmup:

had to ride bike 1/4 mile from parking to transition which got legs warmed up, a couple minutes of jogging
Swim
  • 28m 57s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

official pace 1.46 min/100 yards
felt comfortable, felt good on sighting and breathing, skating focus
used tinted goggles which had right lens leaking again after first buoy, but worth it for the glare
What would you do differently?:

more practice! feel the course may have been a bit erratic due to sighting issues
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

better on getting the suit off, think I've got it good now, only one misstep in getting the right leg out this time
better with shoes, got into first shoe before even got to the road

need to run up the hill from the course into T1 - kind of jogged it and didn't push it
slow on bike mount, not taking as much advantage of the shoes
Bike
  • 1h 16m 50s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.41 mile/hr
Comments:

felt good on the bike this time, more solid on descents and turns, really felt better on gearing and feel good on cadence - best time on this course, still short of cracking the 20 mph barrier but pretty close

a bit more confidence on the descents will help, maybe pushing a bit harder on the hills, maybe more out of the saddle work would be the difference
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

good transition, a touch slow on dismount but still solid
best part is that my rack was only a few feet from the dismount

bit faster on dismount
Run
  • 51m 36s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 10s  min/km
Comments:

classic Hagg Lake run for me - felt the pain in the heart not the legs - after the run felt could have pushed harder, cadence was too low around 86
still seem to struggle on this run in how and when to push the pace, feel like I'm holding back to save some for later but never leave it all on the course - compared to Blue Lake where legs were totally shot at the finish. Due think that this being the first 10k leg at Hagg didn't know quite what and when to expect - still not real happy with the run

higher cadence! That helps to pick up the pace - try to push more on descents to make up time - did walk through aid stations which not sure, based on the heat, if it would have been good to run through those, only thing that looks good on the splits is consistency after the first mile - also the trail portion was tricky
Post race
Warm down:

lots of water, walking around

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the run was the limiit this time, feel like I'm almost in a rut with the run pace on this course - next time it's all about the run - run out of the water, run off the bike, run leg push harder

Event comments:

Despite the run still felt made some good improvements on the swim and bike, which feel like harder fixes (all about technique) than the run, which is more learning to better gauge hills - 2nd Oly Tri and still squeezed out a top 50% age group finish, so can't complain too much!

Last updated: 2014-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:57 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/12
Overall: 100/161
Performance: Good
Avg HR - 152 Max HR - 161 Zone 4 - 28:36, Zone 3 - :20
Suit: full suit
Course: 2 counter clockwise loops, really hard to see the 2nd buoy due to the sun right in your face, had to actually stop on each loop to try and see it
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:50 | 24.85 miles | 19.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 38/161
avg HR - 165, max HR - 196, min HR - 151 first lap - 38:16, avg speed 19.4 mph second lap - 38:34, avg speed 19.3 mph
Wind: None
Course: mega hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 81
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:36 | 10 kms | 05m 10s  min/km
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 38/161
Performance: Average
avg HR - 173, max HR - 190, min HR - 157 split times: mile 1 - 8:55 (ascent 107, descent 76) mile 2 - 7:29 (ascent 51, descent 38) mile 3 - 8:30 (ascent 115, descent 72) mile 4 - 8:14 (ascent 51, descent 89) mile 5 - 8:12 (ascent 90, descent 108) mile 6.2 - 10:12 (ascent 85, descent 107)
Course: first/last .6 mile narrow trail run from one parking lot to the next one before the road - tons of ankle biters and real dry, tricky with traffic after that the major hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-14 5:37 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by tacetman
Views: 2016 Posts: 1

2013-07-08 7:49 PM tacetman

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by martymo
Views: 1354 Posts: 1

2013-07-07 12:41 PM martymo

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by genking
Views: 874 Posts: 1

2012-07-16 3:13 PM genking

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by jcb91
Views: 1323 Posts: 2

2007-07-09 11:08 PM NightOwl

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by vbtrigirl
Views: 1753 Posts: 2

2007-07-06 11:36 AM shelly123
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.