General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA EX2 Off-Road Triathlon and Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

XTERRA EX2 Off-Road Triathlon and Duathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flintstone, Maryland
United States
EX2 Adventures
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 11m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Drove from Illinois to Maryland on Friday, stayed in Cumberland on Saturday before the race. Prerode the mtb course Saturday morning and was intimidated, even though I enjoyed the course. Went to bed early. This is a 9:00 a.m. start, so had pretty good breakfast at 6 a.m. At 8, had a lara bar, and just before the race started, had a GU.
Event warmup:

Got set up in transition and then waited around, chatting with other participants. Steve was volunteering at check in so we were on site pretty early. An hour before, I swam a bit in Lake Habeeb. Felt nervous.
Swim
  • 33m 30s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm overly cautious in open water, and since this was a two lap course, didn't want to get pounded by the fast people on their last lap. Started wide and stayed wide for most of the swim. At one point I thought I might have swam off course. There is a dam in this lake and I had the sense that there might be a very slight current pushing the swimmers. But overall this was a pretty decent swim for me. Longest ows without a wetsuit and I didn't panic or have to breast stroke.
What would you do differently?:

Just swim more and get faster
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

We did not receive T1 and T2 times for this event, it's all lumped in.
Bike
  • 2h 11m
  • 14 miles
  • 6.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough course. Felt like I rode all right considering my lack of experience with rocky climbs and technical descents. The ability to preride the mtb course is definitely a plus for the local riders. I really enjoyed the course and passed a couple of people. Took my time and kept my sh*t together and tried not to get freaked out on the rock gardens.

Probably should have ridden the course one more time, but didn't want to wear out my legs.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 1h 26m
  • 5 miles
  • 17m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I botched this, my legs were tired and I had several near misses tripping over rocks. After that, I decided to just jog the non-sketchy areas. Which were few and far between. Found another racer who was walking most of the run and we encouraged each other. I did enjoy this course, it is very very beautiful, just would have liked to run more.

More trail running would be helpful. I also think that stair climbing would be helpful in preparation for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Steve and got a piece of pizza and a Gatorade. Everything tasted really good. Hung around and watched the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more trail running and practice climbing.

Event comments:

EX2 Adventures is a first class organization and it is obvious that they take great pride in their events. They also hold several mountain bike races and trail runs during the year. The director was very organized and patient. Seemed like the race went off without a hitch.

Last updated: 2014-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:30 | 1500 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Two laps in a clean mountain lake. You start on a sandy beach and wade out to almost waist-deep water. The lake was shallow for a while. You can see the bottom for a long time, and then there is a lot of underwater vegetation that grows quite close to the surface. This kind of freaked me out.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:11:00 | 14 miles | 6.41 mile/hr
Performance: Average
My cyclometer read 15.2 miles
Wind: None
Course: Two laps of a 7 mile mtb course. The first part goes around a park road, so you can garner speed there. You then cross the dam and go up some steps, cyclocross style, into the singletrack. Trail is a mix of fun, twisty singletrack; rock gardens, fire roads and one major climb up Evitt's Mountain. ONly a few really hardcore mtb guys were actually riding up the mountain, everyone else walked it. There is a two mile technical descent that was quite exciting.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:26:00 | 05 miles | 17m 12s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Singletrack and fire roads through teh woods with a lot of rocks and roots. At mile 3 there is a big climb up Evitt's Mountain, then you go off to the left and go down into a sort of grotto with boulders. Cross a "flexible" bridge and then climb out of the grotto. It's more of a scramble at that point than a run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-15 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: XTERRA EX2 Off-Road Triathlon and Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA EX2 Off-Road Triathlon and Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

XTERRA EX2 Off-Road Triathlon

Started by Bioteknik
Views: 1253 Posts: 1

2012-07-17 1:22 PM Bioteknik

EX2 Off-Road Triathlon

Started by mrussell
Views: 1266 Posts: 2

2008-07-24 8:53 AM dck4shrt

EX2 Off-Road Triathlon

Started by mcbill98
Views: 1666 Posts: 2

2007-07-20 6:35 AM lizard

XTERRA EX2 Off Road Duathlon

Started by lizard
Views: 1842 Posts: 4

2007-07-19 2:28 PM mcbill98

XTERRA Last Stand Off-Road Triathlon/Duathlon

Started by kzoo_camp
Views: 783 Posts: 1

2007-05-21 10:21 AM kzoo_camp
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : December 15, 2008
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.