St Charles Hospital
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 13s
Overall Rank = 177/460
Age Group = 60-69
Age Group Rank = 3/19
Pre-race routine:

I was really happy that Crystal, inspired I guess by the presentation by the Bend WS100 runners, decided to try a 5k. We had picked up our packets the day before, but still had to buy her a t-shirt, find the start, etc. She was amazingly insecure in the large crowd, and was really nervous when I left her side to use the porta-potty.
Event warmup:

Warmed up 11 minutes, mostly zone 1-2, with two 30-second pick-ups.
Run
  • 30m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Although I ran the beginning of the course for my warm-up, what I didn't notice was that just after the start on a grassy field, the course funneled into quite a bottleneck. There was rather a large crowd running, and I didn't pay any particular attention to where I was located in the group at the start. After we got started, I noticed that my pace just moving along with the crowd was about 10:30, much slower than I would have chosen. It took some attention to pass people and establish my preferred pace.
Also, I was debating whether my priority was to just run my race or to stick with C, since she had exhibited such anxiety. Not to worry; she pulled ahead of me and I didn't try to keep up. At mile 2, however, her ankles started to bother and she had to walk for awhile. I ran on, and after finishing was concerned that she might have given up and walked the rest of the way. But she persisted, and finished a couple of minutes later. (And was very pleased to be 7th in her AG out of 17.)
What would you do differently?:

On an unfamiliar course, check it out during the warm-up for possible bottlenecks and if there are any, position myself further up in the pack so people have to run around me instead of the opposite.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate my Recovery bar & Fizz, collected my ribbon.
Hurried home so we could get to the Pet Parade on time!
Later we went stand-up paddleboarding at one of the Cascade Lakes.
Never a moment to stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Altitude.
Bottleneck at the start.
Maybe I only gave 98% instead of 100?

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-07-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:13 | 03.1 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 177/460
Performance: Good
Due to the elevation (3600 ft) I wasn't sure what pace to expect, so I planned to run by HR. HR graph is a line moving pretty slowly & steadily up. 1st mile: avg HR 131 (mid z-3); pace 10:06 2nd mile: avg HR 138 (mid z-4); pace 9:16 3rd mile: avg HR 142 (z 5a); pace 9:42 last tenth: HR avg 147 (z 5b); max pace 8:52
Course: Held at Rivenbend Park in Bend. Pretty flat, with some pavement & some trail. Elevation is at 3600 feet.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-15 1:00 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Spark Your Heart
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spark Your Heart Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sparks 6th Annual Turkey Trot

Started by Broompatrol
Views: 836 Posts: 1

2009-11-30 6:40 PM Broompatrol

Becel Heart&Stroke Ride for Heart

Started by Nats
Views: 4068 Posts: 4

2008-06-03 4:53 AM Nats

Sparks in the Park

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 988 Posts: 2

2006-07-01 8:22 PM RGRBILL

Heart & Sole 5K

Started by wingfan5
Views: 1079 Posts: 5

2005-02-13 8:23 PM wingfan5

2004 ORANGE COUNTY AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION

Started by heymickey
Views: 879 Posts: 1

2004-12-27 5:52 PM heymickey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?
date : December 5, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
The crux of rehab was so simple: “Eat and exercise like your life depended on it.” It seemed to take all the guesswork out of the picture and make things that much easier for me.

date : July 2, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
From triple bypass to triathlon. I am now just two days away from the Pacific Crest Half-Ironman.