General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-15 4:42 PM

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread
Bring on the altitude! Anyone do the sprint? Some say it was muddy, others not so much. Curious about the water temp.

2014-07-17 6:19 PM
in reply to: Fitzy

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: RE: Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread
I was up there for a long day of training and to cheer on some friends...I also did a short swim after my ride/run.

The water temp was 70...perfect. I did my swim without a wetsuit and it felt great. (After 80 miles/3 miles, the cool water was awesome)

It's muddy, but it's been muddy every time I've been up there. If you've done the race before, expect the usual...If you've never been up there to swim, just plan on zero viability. Not too different than Tempe town lake, really...

Have fun up there...The OLY is probably my favorite course in AZ.
2014-07-22 4:58 PM
in reply to: JasenGuy

User image

Phoenix AZ
Jasen, did you race the sprint? I hated to miss it but was in Salt Lake for a conference (this is Stan).

And Fitzy, last year's sprint wasn't cold at all. Very pleasant. The OLY/Half should mean even warmer temps. And yeah, if TTL is slick and green Lake Mary is silty, muddy, and chocolatey brown.
2015-02-13 11:37 AM
in reply to: Fitzy

Hello, I am looking to do my first Olympic triathlon this year and have been debating signing up for this race. The sound of the hills, heat, and altitude are scaring me a little. I live in Salt Lake City, which is still not as high in altitude as Flagstaff- will the 7,000ft still affect me as much? I just got a road bike and will be diligently training for the next 12 weeks, but am a wuss with hills. How cold is the lake usually? I currently do not have a wetsuit.

Basically my question is, is this a good race for a beginner to the sport?
2015-02-16 5:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Due to the elevation, the lake temperature may be variable. Depends on your tolerance - it is too cold for me without a wetsuit! (and yes, it is brown and muddy with no visibility in the water, you won't even see your hands)
If you live and train in Salt Lake city, the elevation for you should not be a problem at all, its only a couple thousand feet higher than where you live.
There aren't many hills on the bike course. There is one longish rolling kind of hill and its a pretty straight out and back course.
The run has a section that is very steep and hilly. If you are a fair runner and have practiced a bit on hills, you should be OK.
Out of all the different olympic races I have done (Tempe, Bartlett lake, Mesa), I like Mountain Man the best and I am going back for more.

Edited by DrTriKat 2015-02-16 5:29 PM
2015-02-26 7:03 AM
in reply to: DrTriKat

User image

Elite
the desert

I've done it with and without a wetsuit. everyone has their preference's, but the water temp is always right on the borderline for me.

As far as the hills, the Olympic doesn't offer anything to severe except maybe one that's is about 8.5 miles into the course.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by MichelleK
Views: 4625 Posts: 31

2012-08-02 2:31 PM 101abp40

Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread

Started by Fitzy
Views: 3321 Posts: 23

2013-07-07 7:02 PM Bunsbert Montcroff

IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Fitzy
Views: 6142 Posts: 57

2012-05-08 4:11 PM DeMars

IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread

Started by DeMars
Views: 1490 Posts: 3

2011-12-17 7:20 PM Archangel65

Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread

Started by 101abp40
Views: 2652 Posts: 15

2010-07-06 6:44 PM Fitzy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : July 9, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 5
There are so many reasons I love this sport and extremely buff, handsome men disrobing next to me is one of them.