General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman run training tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-16 7:43 AM

Subject: Ironman run training tips
Hi all,

First time poster and looking for some advice on run training.

I have my first IM just over 10 weeks away and am aiming (maybe a bit optimistically) for sub 12 hours which puts my run time at between 4 and 4:30 hours.

In warm up events I've done half marathons in 2 hours and did the run in a olympic triathlon in 40 minutes so I'm confident that my pace is ok. My problem is, I can't get over the boredom of run training. In events, obviously adrenaline kicks in and there is a more of a desire to do the distance. It is by far my least favourite discipline. I know it's purely mental because I will happily sit on the bike for 6 hours and not want to get off but when running I rarely go past an hour. My brain (more so than my legs) just screams at me to stop and go home. Any tips for mixing it up or getting past this psychological wall? I've heard of people getting addicted to running (like I am with cycling and swimming) but I just can't seem to make myself love it.

My current run sessions generally consist of as many laps of my local park (about a 1.5km loop) and I try to change my route around the park as much as possible. I've tried both listening to music and not, measuring my runs by distance or by time or by heart rate.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Edited by Ivandobsky 2014-07-16 7:44 AM

2014-07-16 7:55 AM
in reply to: Ivandobsky

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman run training tips

If you did a standalone half marathon in two hours you will not be doing the IM run in 4:00-4:30.

I have yet to break 4:00 in the IM run (I've been close) and I can run a standalone half mary in the mid-1:30's.

There's also a disconnect here.  If you can run an Oly in 40 minutes, which is a sub-6:30/mile pace (after 90+ minutes of swimming and cycling), how is your half mary pace over 9:00/mile?  I have a hard time believing you ran a 40 minute 10K after a 1500m swim and 40K bike given your statements.

2014-07-16 8:05 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Sorry, didn't want to go into lots of detail in opening post.

My 2 hour half marathons were (1) a cross country half marathon at altitude and (2) a road race in which I suffered from some pretty bad ITB problems and alternated running and walking. I'd be confident of a 1:45 half marathon if on the flat and no knee trouble (which has now cleared up by the way).

Hope that goes some way to explaining the triathlon run time as well. Total finishing time in that race was 2:19.

2014-07-16 9:06 AM

User image

Harare
Instead of running endless 1.5 mile laps, find more interesting routes. If you run 8 miles from your house, you're going to be running those 8 miles home like it or not. Go on mapmyrun and look for routes near where you train. Mix up your training. Do trail runs, fartleks, etc.

2014-07-16 11:28 AM
in reply to: Danielfberlin

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
Runningmap.com is easier and better
2014-07-16 11:35 AM
in reply to: MikeinGR

User image

Originally posted by MikeinGR

Runningmap.com is easier and better

except that it doesn't follow roads like MMR does - which makes for added clicks...and i'm lazy!

2014-07-17 8:37 AM

User image

Miami
Try to find different routes. I will also kill myself had I to run 20 x 1.5 km loops... I hated running before, but I love it now. I found a 4 mile, 3 mile, and 2.7 mile loops around my house that work pretty well. Also, sometimes I run near my job, where I can run up to a 10 mile loop (I can shorten it as much as I want).

Be creative with your routes or, as many other suggested look at mapmyrun if you don't seem to find anything that you like.
2014-07-30 6:08 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

I cannot even imagine running the same loop for training. Just put a gun to my head and shoot me. Why do you choose to do that? Run the local streets if you have to. I run everywhere. I will start in one town and run to the next via trail or run right downtown in the city near me on Saturdays and Sundays. I run with various groups and sometimes I run the first hour of my run alone and then have a friend meet me for the second hour or more. Sometimes, I pick up and drop off 3-4 different people on my route to mix things up. I think you need more variety. If you were loving every run and never getting bored I would never suggest this, but it sounds like you'd love to mix things up. Have you ever ran a marathon? I would also make a mental note that the last 6 miles of a marathon are so much tougher than the first 20 and that's without any other legs beforehand. I am sure you realize that. My PR for the half marathon is 1:39 but I am hoping I can finish my marathon at IMFL in under 5 hours. That may not even happen as I could be hurting (IT band, hips from the long bike, back from the long wetsuit swim, etc.). I hope you can get it done and wish you the best of luck!!!
2014-07-31 11:17 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
We really can't tell you much without any idea of your training. You need to be strong enough in the swim to come out of the water fine, then bike strong enough to hit the run with good legs and have enough run base to be able to run a marathon well. My best IM marathon is 3:40 and I run a 3:19 or better open marathon. If you get your swim yards up over 40,000 a month, your bike miles up over 800 a month and your run miles up over 150 miles a month you have a shot at a strong race, but we have no idea of whether you have a sub 12 hour IM in you.
2014-07-31 11:44 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Originally posted by Baowolf

We really can't tell you much without any idea of your training. You need to be strong enough in the swim to come out of the water fine, then bike strong enough to hit the run with good legs and have enough run base to be able to run a marathon well. My best IM marathon is 3:40 and I run a 3:19 or better open marathon. If you get your swim yards up over 40,000 a month, your bike miles up over 800 a month and your run miles up over 150 miles a month you have a shot at a strong race, but we have no idea of whether you have a sub 12 hour IM in you.

BTW, your IM Marathon time is REALLY FAST!!! Way to go!
2014-07-31 11:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Like others have said, find different running routes. Short loops will kill your sanity quickly. I prefer 'out and backs' - mentally if I can make it to the halfway point, I know that I HAVE to get back somehow. No options for cutting it short or turning in early. My worst runs are loops, even 4-mile loops in a very popular park. Can't stand them for some reason.

Have you tried listening to pod casts or audible books? Obviously you won't be able to do that during the race, but I believe your question was about training and not racing.

Meditation or prayer (if you're into that)?

What about running with others? This is the biggest bang for my buck, especially on long runs. I found two other girls this year to run with who are my speed. We tell each other stories, jokes, talk about everything under the sun. I am continually surprised at how fast the miles click by when I'm talking with my friends. 

Edited by lisac957 2014-07-31 11:46 AM

2014-08-01 2:00 AM

User image

Originally posted by Ivandobsky Sorry, didn't want to go into lots of detail in opening post. My 2 hour half marathons were (1) a cross country half marathon at altitude and (2) a road race in which I suffered from some pretty bad ITB problems and alternated running and walking. I'd be confident of a 1:45 half marathon if on the flat and no knee trouble (which has now cleared up by the way). Hope that goes some way to explaining the triathlon run time as well. Total finishing time in that race was 2:19.

I run a standalone 10k in 41, HM in 1:32, FM in 3:37

Oly 10k in 48, Ironman Marathon in 4:12

My point is if you can run a 10k in a Oly in 40 your standalone HM should be under 1:30 Easily.   And a sub 4:00 Ironman Marathon is very doable. I could Definitely cut 12 mins off my run in my next IM and you are faster than me so...

Anyways as already said: Stop Running Loops.  Also as already said: Try out and backs. Just start running a route you haven't run before and just keep running until you feel you are done running... and then you Have to run back.    And then next time do the same thing but run a different route.

2014-08-31 10:00 PM

User image

Canyon, Texas
Find a gym or track that has lots of girls. That always seems to motivate me
2014-09-01 8:09 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-01 4:26 PM

Regular
For my long runs, I drive up to 1.25 hrs to get to trails that I enjoy running. I look forward to my long runs now, so it's worth it!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman run training tips Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Long traing runs prior to Ironman full

Started by foyth
Views: 1943 Posts: 6

2011-08-05 4:51 PM Kido

Ironman tips

Started by twurtele
Views: 1893 Posts: 5

2008-12-26 4:53 PM gerald12

#1 tip to complete your ironman faster Pages: 1 2

Started by Gerrard
Views: 3511 Posts: 31

2008-06-28 5:48 AM ironrose

Ironman Louisville Tips/Advice????

Started by jayhawkfirefighter
Views: 2532 Posts: 15

2007-12-25 7:29 PM magik611

Tips from Ironman National Champion Chris McCormack

Started by infosteward
Views: 7885 Posts: 23

2007-12-04 4:31 PM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 3
How important are bricks for half and full Iron distance triathlons? Here is one coach's opinion.

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : April 12, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.

date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 8
I’m not going to sugar coat my experience and tell you that it was a piece of cake, but I am going to attempt to give you some advice and useful information that I wish I had before participating.
date : November 7, 2006
author : mikericci
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.

date : April 2, 2006
author : Manny
Training tips and lessons to keeping your head in the game.
date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.