General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike VS Tri bike for ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-16 2:30 PM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Subject: Road bike VS Tri bike for ironman
Going to take the plunge and try an ironman ... Not sure what to use.. road bike or triathlon bike.. people have been saying ill be way to sore to use a triathlon bike for 180KM however i see people on TV do it all the time.. Only thing is im no pro so maybe a road bike is the way to do it.. i already have a good triathlon bike and dont really want ot make another investment on a road bike. What do you guys use?

2014-07-16 2:38 PM
in reply to: katan2212

User image

Subject: RE: Road bike VS Tri bike for ironman

If you already have a triathlon bike that fits you, then use that.  There is no reason to get sore on a triathlon bike over the IM distance if your fit is good.  Sometimes you may want to tweak the fit just slightly for longer distances, but not much.

2014-07-16 2:47 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
she's fitted... cost me a little bit to get it done but i did. i feel pretty comfortable on it.. havnt done no 180km on it in a sitting but i figured it would be ok. Thanks for the response
2014-07-16 3:16 PM

Arden, North Carolina
When you say "people" have told you you'll be too sore, who are these people? I've routinely been doing 90+ mile rides on my tri bike very comfortably. At IMAZ a few years ago 95% of the people were on tri bikes, that's what they're for, triathlons.
I couldn't imagine buying a road bike, if you already have a tri bike, to do a triathlon.
It may be a bit uncomfortable at first, but you get used to the extended time in aero after enough rides. And your legs will thank you when you start running. I've been running so much faster since I got my tri bike
2014-07-16 3:34 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Unless you plan on doing the Ironman without any practice, you should have plenty of hours riding in aero during your training.

2014-07-16 3:42 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Kyle

You have a Vector PM right? Compare the TriBike vs. roadie in terms of Power Values, expenditure , then you decide which is better.

good luck!!

2014-07-16 3:56 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
TT bike fit for Sprint/Oly might differ from bike fit for HIM/IM distance so that may play a role also.
2014-07-16 4:02 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
If you have road and tri bikes available and power for both, certainly do some testing. When I did this, I was consistently 7s/km faster on my tribike than my road bike.

Shane
2014-07-16 4:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by katan2212 Going to take the plunge and try an ironman ... Not sure what to use.. road bike or triathlon bike.. people have been saying ill be way to sore to use a triathlon bike for 180KM however i see people on TV do it all the time.. Only thing is im no pro so maybe a road bike is the way to do it.. i already have a good triathlon bike and dont really want ot make another investment on a road bike. What do you guys use?

I don't do IM distance, but I do race in triathlons up to and including the half-IM distance (that's plenty long enough for me). To answer your bike question (road bike or tri bike?), there is actually a third option, one that provides enormous versatility and saves you from having to buy another bike. You could use your existing tri bike, but use it with a drop bar, clip-on aerobar, and STI shifter set up. For a visual, here is a small photo album of a bunch of different tri bikes set up with drop bars (link here).

Why do this? Well, there are lots of reasons. For starters, you get most of the aero and positon advantages afforded by using a tri bike with minimal aero penalty. And, such a set up (if done correctly) can be far more comfortable and even safer than a full aerobar set up. I briefly wrote about some of the potential pluses and minuses of such set ups, with a focus on what bike a beginner triathlete might buy as their first bike. Link to the BT thread (see first post) is here.

Something to try ...

Greg @ dsw

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2014-07-16 4:58 PM
2014-07-16 4:55 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
"People" are idiots, to be blunt. As stated, if you're properly fitted (which it sounds like you are), there is no reason to use a road bike over a tri bike. If you do, you'll be giving up a ton of time unless your tri fit is very upright.

I've done 3 IMs and never considered using a road bike, even at IMLP, which was my first in my second year of doing tris. In fact, I'm far more comfortable in aero position than I've ever been on a road bike.
2014-07-17 9:02 AM
in reply to: dgunthert

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
hey guys thanks for the advice.. just going to continue putting miles on the tri bike.. ill keep yah posted if it gets uncomfortable .. cheers

2014-07-17 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by katan2212

Going to take the plunge and try an ironman ... Not sure what to use.. road bike or triathlon bike.. people have been saying ill be way to sore to use a triathlon bike for 180KM however i see people on TV do it all the time.. Only thing is im no pro so maybe a road bike is the way to do it.. i already have a good triathlon bike and dont really want ot make another investment on a road bike. What do you guys use?

I am sorry but I have to be blunt here. The "people" that told you this are morons. Unless your Ironman is entirely climbing and twisty roads (hint, none of them are), you are better off on the tri bike. Even a crazy mountainous course like IMLT is a tri-bike race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike VS Tri bike for ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9191 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac

Hybrid vs Road bikes vs tri bike and the trainer

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1234 Posts: 3

2006-11-30 9:23 AM chirunner134

Tri bike vs. Road bike Question

Started by mandy7741
Views: 1694 Posts: 7

2006-03-17 3:15 PM Daremo

Which approach Tri bike vs Road bike

Started by Biseman
Views: 1307 Posts: 17

2006-02-13 9:51 PM Biseman

Road bike vs tri bike

Started by waterfordhunter
Views: 1810 Posts: 20

2004-07-19 9:20 AM JoeR
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : February 3, 2009
comments : 0
On my road bike after 45 minutes, I develop pain between my shoulder blades. It still persists unless I am on my tri bike.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.