General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg Cramps Swimming laps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-17 7:05 AM

User image

, Louisiana
Subject: Leg Cramps Swimming laps
Started swimming laps about a month ago to get ready for my first Tri. Barely get to the other end of a 25 yd pool, in the beginning. Now I can do 600 yds, rest, then finish out another 1200 yds in 200 yd sets. That being said, around 1500 yds I can feel the leg cramp in the bottom of my legs, just waiting for a push off from a wall, or a wild kick. The cramp is like the toes pull up toward my knee. For the rest of the workout I nurse it, walk the pool until it goes away then start swimming again. Is this something normal, or am I doing too much, too soon? Anything to keep this from happening? A few minutes out of the water, and all is great, I go on to run or ride.

2014-07-17 7:17 AM
in reply to: jareed58

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Leg Cramps Swimming laps
Cramps while swimming happen to many athletes, often when they are trying to do more or swim harder than they normally do. While it may be a case of fitness and just needing to build it up, there are some things that you can attempt to lessen the intensity and frequency of the cramps.

1) try to push off with your foot flat on the wall, not just from the toes

2) try to leave your ankle relaxed, not pointing your toes. You do want you toes pointed toward the opposite wall but if you are constantly pointing your toes instead of kicking with a relaxed ankle, you will often have cramping result

3) smaller, controlled kicking at all times

Shane
2014-07-17 7:20 AM

User image

I had the same problem when I started two years ago. It eventually went away. The typical reasons for cramps are either; you're dehydrated, you're low on electrolytes, or you're pushing the muscle harder than it's used to. If you're drinking lots of water before and during and if you're making sure to get enough electrolytes in your diet then the most probable reason is that your muscles just have to get used to it. It took me about a year of swimming before my cramps weren't an issue anymore. I still get little cramps once in a while but I keep swimming and nurse it along and it usually goes away.
2014-07-17 7:21 AM

User image

I'm prone to cramps while swimming also. The more fatigue or miles I have on my legs that week the more careful I have to be. I've had some pretty funny hobbling laps around the pool during masters swim. Had some pretty impressive knots in my calves that scared the lifeguards as well.

1, As my fitness improves the frequency has decreased (intensity has not )
2. I was dieting when I first started swimming hard, un-fueled body = more cramps

How I deal.

1. Pull buoy anytime my legs twinge, for as long as necessary, could be 100yds, could be the final 1000yds of the workout. Just let the legs relax
2. Nutrition 1/2 to 1hr before hard swims
3. Suck it up buttercup
2014-07-17 7:33 AM
in reply to: Mtnwesttri

User image

What coincidental timing. Yesterday evening during OWS, my calves were cramping. I tend to drag my feet in the water and was working on keeping my body horizontal with a decent kick (I have been doing a lot of kick drills in the pool), but after about half a mile, my calves just kept cramping up. I couldn't exactly grab hold of the edge of the lake to recover, either. Do I need to do more kicking drills or is it something else?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg Cramps Swimming laps Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Leg Cramps (inside of leg above knee)

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 5548 Posts: 10

2012-04-02 5:13 PM tri808

Leg Cramps from Swimming

Started by cresap
Views: 15328 Posts: 7

2008-02-27 11:09 PM avjetdale

Calf Cramps during the swimming leg

Started by lh100
Views: 957 Posts: 6

2007-12-14 8:33 PM getsome

Weird Lower Leg Cramps while Swimming?

Started by Shaved_Wookie
Views: 2023 Posts: 12

2005-12-29 8:08 AM amiine

cramp in both legs while swimming

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1321 Posts: 9

2004-05-15 8:46 PM vmax3000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?

date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?
date : September 17, 2007
author : AMSSM
Muscle cramps occur in 67% of triathletes. This article discusses several theories on the causes of cramps and what to do if you get one and how to prevent cramps.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : May 21, 2007
comments : 2
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.

date : March 20, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 3
Provided one was proficient in setting up the different functions of the Lap Track, I think that a short-course triathlete would benefit most from this, since it only records splits up to 50 laps.
date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
Have no endurance? Try this routine for your first few months.