General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim training outside of the water? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-18 10:17 AM

Subject: Swim training outside of the water?
Swimming is by far my weakness, largely because I don't have a readily accessible pool nearby, and I'm primarily a runner which takes up most of my training time.

Are there any calisthenics or general cardio exercises for the upper body which can at least somewhat contribute to swim training when getting in the water isn't an option? I have a small home gym, free weights, etc.

2014-07-18 2:39 PM
in reply to: nwiii

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Swim training outside of the water?

Sheila Taormina has some dry land exercises using bands that she discusses in her book.  Get a lite or medium resistant stretch cord and follow her instructions for working the pull phase of the stroke.  She might even have a youtube video showing the exercises.  I don't ever hear anybody mention it, but sometimes I will lay on a bench/bed with my legs hanging over the side and do timed kick sets ... crazy, I know, but it's a good workout for your core.

2014-07-18 2:52 PM

User image

Hereford, England
Pull ups - over hand grip,
Push ups with narrow hands,
Loads of core exercises.

Resistance band work.

And bicep curls, because who doesn't want some guns....
2014-07-18 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
My living room.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1348KB - 6 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim training outside of the water? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Open water swim and training plans

Started by mikep
Views: 995 Posts: 9

2008-02-10 12:32 AM VinemanCalifornia

Pool Training Tips for Open Water Swim?

Started by octrojan
Views: 1093 Posts: 8

2007-12-17 10:24 PM octrojan

Training for an Open Water Swim Start

Started by sulis
Views: 1265 Posts: 11

2006-05-19 5:39 AM ezl

Open water swim training

Started by jnmrz
Views: 989 Posts: 5

2006-02-10 4:59 PM jnmrz

First real open water training swim.

Started by madcow
Views: 790 Posts: 8

2004-09-12 12:51 PM Bigpikle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : February 21, 2008
author : mikericci
Discussions on 1/2 Ironman race placement 3 weeks from a first IM, treadmill to outside run transition, 4 days on/5 off workday training schedule, trainer workouts and 30 days of swimming to get fast.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.