General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Relative beginner winter and health questions! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-18 9:20 PM

User image

Subject: Relative beginner winter and health questions!
Hey BT'ers

I am fairly new here, and am fairly new to triathlon in general! I have a couple of questions regarding training in winter and general health... I am a big reader so have already looked it up a bit but nothing is better than hearing from those who actually know!

I have been training since the start of the year when I decided to tri it out, first I followed 'The Time Crunched Triathlete' loosely to prepare for my first sprint, then another 2, then an Oly. Since then I have purchased and started reading through 'The Triathletes Training Bible', it is a great source of info but I think I am finding it a bit to full on and to focused on winning. At the moment I am just training to get in better shape and enjoy myself! I average between 5 (rest week) and probably about 10 hours a week, for a big week (for me!) depending on how much overtime work requires. Enough of the run down, on to the questions!

It is currently winter here in Melbourne. I know it can hardly compared to those overseas were it snows and the weather is truly terrible... But this winter I am feeling the cold particularly hard, and have already been sick twice (had the last week off training). I have also lost a bit of motivation. I usually swim twice, run thrice, and bike thrice in an ideal week. I find I am still struggling to get the right balance of what to do on what day, and have yet to do any strength training (I did do some yoga classes a few weeks ago and plan to incorporate that in my routine!).

As I said, I am struggling a bit finding the right balance, and with feeling the cold more than I used to? (winter used to be my favourite season!), from those more experienced than I am, I want to ask how other people get through winter training, and what to do when you are feeling a bit burnt out and lacking motivation? Also with getting sick (one cold, and one that was a bit more flu-ish), any good ways to tackle this?

I am sorry if this doesn't make a whole heaps of sense! I guess I am not sure exactly what I want to ask, but I hope it makes sense!

Thanks in advance

2014-07-18 9:26 PM
in reply to: engima

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Relative beginner winter and health questions!
Having proper gear that is weather appropriate helps. Warming up helps too.

Watch "Lachlan at COP" on YouTube
Lachlan at COP: http://youtu.be/-0MUI1Qbzmo

I try to embrace the winter.
2014-07-18 9:49 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Unless your training was really hard or there were times where you got miserably chilled and deep-down cold I wouldn't be too quick to blame training as the cause of your sickness in the winter. Winter is generally when the cold and flu bugs get passed around and everyone is sicker.

I think it's better to confront the cold rather than hide from it, and for me training in the winter makes miserable weather more bearable rather than less bearable.
Don
2014-07-19 6:31 AM

This is my first year doing triathlon, and I too made the decision back in late January, only it was cold and snowing here at the time. For me, originally, it was tough to get outside with the cold; the snow and ice on the ground making it not safe at times. What helped me was scheduling my workouts and sticking to them. I felt when I knew I had to do a workout, I was more motivated, and having a structured plan really worked for me, otherwise I would be more apt to take a day off. I also had a gym membership, so when it was just not possible to go outside, that was my alternative. If I was going to be exercising outside, I would try to schedule it for later in the day than I do now (mid day vs. morning) when it was warmer outside. I also spent quite a great deal of time trying to figure out what clothing worked for me during the cold. When I started running, I got used to the fact that I would be cold for the first 10 minutes, but after I settled into my run, I found that I was quite comfortable. That said, while it might be tough now, the spring and summer will always be back around in a few months Good luck!
2014-07-20 4:05 AM
in reply to: swimbikeruntake1

User image

Thanks guys!

So basically, I need to harder up? Hahah!

I have spent the weekend doing a little training and really enjoyed... I think I was just a bit burnt out and not sticking to my plans very well. I am now very inspired to get back in to. I guess this is pretty normal? This is the first time I have ever trained for anything, ever, and stuck with it!

I have a half marathon next weekend I am really looking forward to.. Then I think a week or two of some more relaxed training and sorting out my programs to follow

Cheers!
2014-07-20 7:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Thinking about this and wanting the be realistic about my own training practice....
Some variety is important to me - I switch up some of my tri training for cross country skiing and squash in the winter. And my swimming comes in bursts - I often go for months without swimming. I couldn't keep up the schedule of r/b/s that you describe all year.

Just re-read your initial post - if yoga and strength training bring you enjoyment and energize you that's great. If they add to your feeling of overload and/or you're doing them because you feel you "should", you might consider giving them up or using the time for s/b/r.
Don

Edited by donw 2014-07-20 7:32 AM

2014-07-20 9:08 AM

User image

Champion

I have found that if I get to aggressive in the winter (new run and swim volume) without making sure to take more 'rest' weeks, I will get sick.  For me, those 'rest' weeks - even every two to three weeks, are important.  I used to use the trainer in my office but something about the cold sweat always got me sick.

Anymore I realize winter is what it is.  I will scale back the running as the only non-icy trail is about 30 minutes long.  I will swim as much as I can at lunchtime which is a natural 'restrictor'...I don't try to maintain or get to new volume...and I don't get sick much anymore.  Though getting sick in the winter while exercising is really tough to relate.

2014-07-20 5:45 PM
in reply to: Ron

User image

Originally posted by donw

Thinking about this and wanting the be realistic about my own training practice....
Some variety is important to me - I switch up some of my tri training for cross country skiing and squash in the winter. And my swimming comes in bursts - I often go for months without swimming. I couldn't keep up the schedule of r/b/s that you describe all year.

Just re-read your initial post - if yoga and strength training bring you enjoyment and energize you that's great. If they add to your feeling of overload and/or you're doing them because you feel you "should", you might consider giving them up or using the time for s/b/r.
Don

I think the strength and yoga stuff is good for me. I think I was just getting a bit tired and burnt out of having (having, not wanting to) go running in the cold. The swim and bike I don't mind as the pool is in outside and I bought a bike trainer! Just need a bit of variety in winter, maybe?

Originally posted by Ron

I have found that if I get to aggressive in the winter (new run and swim volume) without making sure to take more 'rest' weeks, I will get sick.  For me, those 'rest' weeks - even every two to three weeks, are important.  I used to use the trainer in my office but something about the cold sweat always got me sick.

Anymore I realize winter is what it is.  I will scale back the running as the only non-icy trail is about 30 minutes long.  I will swim as much as I can at lunchtime which is a natural 'restrictor'...I don't try to maintain or get to new volume...and I don't get sick much anymore.  Though getting sick in the winter while exercising is really tough to relate.

Thanks Ron, I am glad to hear something like that
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Relative beginner winter and health questions! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beginner (maybe not so beginner) training question

Started by malraid
Views: 783 Posts: 4

2011-02-05 8:42 PM Experior

Health/training question

Started by homerunner
Views: 795 Posts: 12

2009-06-11 11:46 AM homerunner

General Health Question

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 815 Posts: 5

2009-04-05 3:00 PM lrobb

"Beginner" question from...well, not a "beginner" Pages: 1 2 3

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 3990 Posts: 53

2009-01-09 5:21 PM swishyskirt

Men's Health/Women's Health magazine

Started by instigator
Views: 1155 Posts: 9

2005-04-30 9:55 AM ropkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.
date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.