General Discussion Race Reports! » Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marlborough, Connecticut
United States
Pig Iron Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 20s
Overall Rank = 29/174
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 3/20
Pre-race routine:

Left early because this was to be my younger son's first triathlon, after my older son did it 2 weeks ago. He was nervous and excited and it was fun to watch him take it all in. We arrived early and had plenty of time to set up transition and pick out a primo bike spot. Registered, got body paint and timing chips and hung around and waited until the start. I took a gel as I was a bit hungry and didn't eat a real lunch today.
Event warmup:

No warm up other than getting a bit wet prior to the start.
Swim
  • 11m 38s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

When I remember to start slow, I have a good swim I must pay attention and keep my concentration prior to the start to remember to do this. I had one of my best swims ever. Starting to the right was a bonus and a curse. I didn't have to fight the throngs of people, just the lake grass, which constantly wrapped around my arm and got stuck on my head. A bit unnerving...
What would you do differently?:

Bottle this up for every race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Elated coming out of the water and saw my son still in transition! I ran over and told him to have fun and enjoy it. You only get one 'first triathlon'!
Could have been a bit quicker with more focus on me, but this day was about Kyle and his first...

Bring a bucket and focus better. I should get out of transition in 45 seconds on an excellent day.
Bike
  • 32m 17s
  • 12 miles
  • 22.30 mile/hr
Comments:

This time I tried to keep a high cadence and steadier power-closer to 220 always. Push it, if it fell and stay steady and spin up the hills in aero until I got near the top. Then I pushed hard up and over the top. Felt I did much better than other efforts. I've learned a lot about the bike from the power mentor group and steady pacing is key.My FTP is currently 235 so this was an IF of 0.97.

Nothing, except maybe smile more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

A bit slow in this transition as I pulled off my speed lace and had to tie my shoe on the right. Looked around for a few seconds to make sure the piece was still on my towel so I could fix it later. Also decided to grab a drink from my bike bottle.

Speed it up!
Run
  • 22m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Was pretty tired coming off the bike and sprinted through transition as I was having a good race and you know how we all want to keep that feeling going...but immediatly felt the typical 'lead leg' feeling as I stated. Couldn't shake this and the pace going up the hill seemed slower than ever. Kept my head down and tried to keep a high turnover. Being cheered on by my older son and wife, so that gave me some extra energy. My fastest triathlon run pace-ever.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked out the the turn in the road to look for Kyle and cheered hiim when he came in. Cool to see that goofy smile on his face knowing that he is now a triathlete. Later, stood in the lake and chatted about the race and the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing really, I am very happy with finally executing a sprint very close to my ability-and that is where I am at now. That was not my best individual swim time, but I think it was my best triathlon bike time and run time. I've had faster transitions too, but you can't have it all.

Event comments:

Love the friendly venue and the volume grows throughout the year-every year.

Last updated: 2014-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:38 | 600 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/174
Performance: Good
Garmin was acting up and I didn't want to futz with it so I left it on the bike and used my Polar HR monitor watch. Out to the turn buoy (the Big duck) in about 6 minutes and back in 5:38.
Suit: Sleeveless Vortex-Mike's
Course: counter clockwiwise around the buoys posing as ducks-- from a wade beach start. : must go around the small duck on either side...needed to swim through the lake grass in the first 200yds-yuck...and the muddy bottom grossed out my son-but the water was warm and clear as a bell. Short run straight up to transition which now has bike racks-very nice recent addition.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:02
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:17 | 12 miles | 22.30 mile/hr
I was shocked to see that the power data was there as the PM wasn't working, despite changing the battery prior to the race (at home). I was going to go by HR, but had added info, which helped keep me under control in the beginning. Wanted to hit NP of ~220 and AP of ~210, if able. Kept in aero, a problem for me in the 1/2IM distance (which was solved by Marc-thanks Marc!) Got NP of 227 and AP of 218 with a VI of 1.04. Outstanding!
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops clockwise around the lake with 5 x 90 degree turns Mile 1-slight downhill Mile 2-+150ft Mile 3-+100ft Mile 4-flat Mile 5-slight downhill Mile 6-slight downhill Repeat
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:20 | 03.1 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
No splits as I had my polar watch on and there are no mile marks. Clearly did a negative split on the course as the hills are all in the first half. Picked up the pace at the end to nearly puking, so max effort was there tonight.
Course: clockwise loop around the lake, starting out through the woods, around the tennis courts and up the hill at the park entrance. All 3 miles have hills, but they get smaller and roll with shorter or longer sections. Fast downhill finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-19 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #3

Started by dredwards
Views: 1592 Posts: 5

2006-07-20 9:22 AM Stone

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #3

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 1479 Posts: 6

2006-07-21 7:54 PM dredwards

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2

Started by Hudnick
Views: 1383 Posts: 2

2006-07-04 10:23 AM drdi

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2

Started by KathyG
Views: 1605 Posts: 8

2006-07-05 11:31 AM stumfossil

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1

Started by Stone
Views: 2417 Posts: 9

2006-06-20 1:03 PM Marlborough Man
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.