General Discussion Race Reports! » KPC Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

KPC Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kendallville, Indiana
United States
Kendallville Kiwanis, the City of Kendallville and Cole Center YMCA.
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 34s
Overall Rank = 68/144
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Race was 45 minutes away. Woke up at 0420, got gear together, and made peanut butter toast to eat in the car. Drove to the site, checked in and got marked, and set up transition. Spent an hour shivering in the cold and dreading the swim.
Event warmup:

I could not make myself get into the water early with air temps of 55F. I knew I should, but lacking a wetsuit I just couldn't do it. Did some stretching on land.
Swim
  • 10m 58s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first OWS, and my wave was about 20 women. I started at the inside in the front, and didn't have any issues with a scrum. Swim seemed like an okay pace by feel, and I didn't go out too fast like I did in my first race. Seemed slow overall though, and it was. Time was almost 2 minutes slower than 500 yds in a pool with flip turns, which surprised me. There was a several hundred yard jog to transition that was included in the swim time.
What would you do differently?:

Wear a wetsuit and take the time to warm up prior to the pre-race meeting. Be more aggressive, especially in a shorter course.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Transition was much improved over first race. Wore socks, had no problems putting them on even with numb fingers from the cold. Bike was racked near exit so run was short. No problems clipping in this time, got up to speed quickly.

Consider skipping socks
Bike
  • 41m 39s
  • 12.75 miles
  • 18.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Timing chip did not register for bike or T2, so had to guess at T2 and subtract from overall. I haven't done much hill training, so when I saw how hilly the course was I panicked a little. Started out a little slow out of fear of overtaxing myself, but gained confidence as I started passing people. Mostly passed men, as we were the first female wave. Thought it went very well considering my lack of hill experience, and I only faded on the very last climb. Gear changing is improving.

Start more confidently next time and push hard for the entire distance. Work on drinking more water. I'd love to have aero bars and an aero bottle, but probably won't happen until next season
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Did not attempt anything fancy with shoes still on bike. Slowed to dismount line, unclipped, and jogged with bike back into transition. Changed shoes with no difficulty, quick laces worked well. Took off helmet at last second before leaving T2

Eventually learn to take shoes off on bike
Run
  • 27m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt slow, but always does to me coming off the bike. Doing more bricks in training might help with pacing. A GPS watch would as well. Got passed by several young men who I must have passed on the bike, and by two women who were much faster than me. I think my effort was maximal, as I kept trying to push harder and just couldn't do it.

Keep training, run more, and incorporate more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, drank water, and hugged the family

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold weather was a mental hit before the start of the race. Standing around shivering is not a good warmup. Otherwise I was happy with my performance and effort, and my overall time was almost exactly what I expected and was hoping for.

Event comments:

Race was well-organized and adequately staffed. Food was plentiful after and there were 3 opportunities for water on the run. The race was held at a park, and the playground gave my 2 year old something to do while I raced.

Last updated: 2014-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:58 | 500 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 0/144
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: U-shaped around buoys
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:39 | 12.75 miles | 18.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Course was on major roads near the lake, with devoted lanes marked with cones and police officers at every intersection. Much hillier than anywhere I've trained, which was intimidating.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:52 | 03.1 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Performance: Average
Course: Course was 90% on grass, through a park, windmill farm, and campground. I've never run on grass for that long, which may have slowed me down a little. Terrain was fairly even and course was well-shaded.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-20 1:40 PM

Subject: KPC Sprint Triathlon

2014-07-24 12:31 PM
in reply to: #5028104

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: KPC Sprint Triathlon

Great job!!  Sure, you hit some unexpected conditions, you podiumed!!  Way to go and keep up the good work.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » KPC Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

KPC Sprint Triathlon

Started by curlylk
Views: 897 Posts: 2

2012-07-15 7:34 PM nickster

KPC Sprint Triathlon

Started by simsee35
Views: 777 Posts: 1

2011-07-17 6:19 PM simsee35

KPC Sprint Triathlon

Started by 1100xxben
Views: 1247 Posts: 2

2011-07-18 9:41 AM vic1365

KPC Sprint Triathlon

Started by joehysong
Views: 1108 Posts: 1

2010-10-20 4:10 PM joehysong

KPC Sprint Triathlon

Started by BoilerUp
Views: 929 Posts: 1

2010-10-20 10:27 AM BoilerUp
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.