General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Long Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Annandale, Minnesota
United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 23m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45 am, quick breakfast, pumped up tires (this took a while bc the pump is crappy) and left around 6 am. It is about 40 min to Annandale. Parked about 1 block from transition
Event warmup:

I rode the bike since I hadn't touched it since I changed out the wheels. Swam a little but practice area was so weedy I didn't swim much
Swim
  • 18m 21s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Surprised that I got beat up for about the first 200 yards. Wasn't expecting that. And then coming back too there was a good deal of contact with others. I also got a little disoriented, weird since it was a straight line.

Exactly the same time as 2 years ago.
What would you do differently?:

Transition 1
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

I could not get my helmet on---I had it too tight and my hair got all bunched up. I had it on and off a couple of times before I finally loosened it enough. I should really get my own helmet I guess.

Transition covers a lot of distance here. I was in the 1st row which meant a long run from the swim.

Practice with the helmet
Bike
  • 1h 04m 6s
  • 21 miles
  • 19.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Happy with the bike but a little bummed I didn't break 20 mph. The headwind on the last stretch was a bummer. But the tailwind in the beginning was nice. Best of the season for me.

Slightly better time than 2 years ago
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

getting better
Run
  • 55m 31s
  • 5.3 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Somewhere around mile 3, I got a sharp pain in my already achy hip. It was worse going up hill. Walked a little and figured out that I could run if I kept the pace slow and walked some uphills. Not a surprise but the sharpness of the pain was. Really kills when trying to stretch it.

Much better (by 1 min per mile) than last time.

be healthy
Post race
Warm down:

I was pretty spent as I can tell when I can't really talk. They have awesome cold misting showers and with the wind, that got me feeling better pretty quick.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My hip in the run

Event comments:

I love HOLT. Super well organized (except I wish they'd post the waves in an email so you could rack your bike before having to get your packet), best volunteers and lots of them. Best aid stations with water, Hed and wet sponges. Great food --watermelon, plums, bananas, cookies, candy bars, yogurt, rolls, gatorade and water. Sweet that they hand you a cup of water with ice cubes as you cross the finish--cools you off much quicker than a bottle. And the great cold water misters. Really nice awards ceremony with posters for the top finishers and good raffle. Men's and women's fit tech t-shirts with a beautiful local design. Best triathlon in MN and especially love that all proceeds go back to the community.

Last updated: 2014-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:21 | 880 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
2.04 pace for 100 yards
Suit: vortex ls
Course: a square with easily sited buoys
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:45
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:04:06 | 21 miles | 19.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/12
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A loop with some nice rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:31 | 05.3 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/12
Performance: Below average
9:33 10:19 11:16 11:19 10:35
Course: around pleasant lake. rolling hills, v. little shade. Best aid stations of any race I've done--water, Heed, wet sponges about every mile
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-20 3:21 PM

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Subject: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Long Course

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 1017 Posts: 1

2012-07-16 8:48 AM Birkierunner

Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Short Course

Started by kelpeng
Views: 1434 Posts: 3

2012-07-16 1:00 PM kelpeng

Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Short Course

Started by 312in10
Views: 872 Posts: 1

2011-07-19 9:14 PM 312in10

Started by jarheadjred
Views: 1667 Posts: 6

2011-07-22 10:10 AM BikerGrrrl

Started by shaunjamison
Views: 1481 Posts: 3

2011-09-15 2:04 PM shaunjamison
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : October 20, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 9
Twenty of the total 25 deaths associated with triathlons as recorded by USA Triathlon occurred during the swim portion of the events. So, what’s the deal with swimming?

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.