General Discussion Triathlon Talk » mental preparedness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-21 12:34 AM

User image

Subject: mental preparedness
Hello,
This is my 9th week of my "12-week couch to sprint" plan. With only few weeks away from my actual race (August 23rd), I would like to be prepared mentally for my first tri.

I'm 48, female and I never competed in any sports. I competed in music and academics before but I had no experience in sports competition. Could you recommend any links, threads, blogs, books etc, that I could read to prepare me mentally for race day?

Thanks

2014-07-21 9:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: mental preparedness
This sounds a bit corny but it works well for me.
If you are like me, you have doubts/fears about what will happen during the race. I "what if" myself to insanity if I'm not careful. When I come into one of those "dirty thoughts" I very quickly overt my mind to an image of me crossing the finish line with a big smile on my face. And I REALLY focus on that.
In my XC skiing, I do one 54K race in very respectable hills. My fitness is always where I want it to be but there is always a weather factor that causes a good amount of stress. What if it's too warm, what if my wax isn't right and I slip on the uphills, what if, what if, what if. STOP! Imagine skiing down main street with thousands of people screaming and ringing cowbells, hearing my name on the loud speakers...all is well.
You might give it a try. The mind is a very powerful thing, both good and bad.
Oh, and if you don't already, make lists. Rather than telling yourself to "remember to pack such-and-such", write it down and clear it from your head. The way I see it, there is only so much capacity in one's brain. So I like to keep it clear of clutter so I can focus on the important stuff, like the lyrics to every Oscar Meyer jingle.
Good luck and remember that is supposed to be FUN!!!

Edited by pwoolson 2014-07-21 9:49 AM
2014-07-21 9:57 AM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Go see the course for yourself before the race. If you can get on the course for a ride/run/swim even better, but I suggest going to see it with your own eyes before race day at least.

Familiarity will breed comfort and preparedness. Know where the swim goes... what the turns are on the bike course... where the run ends and what the terrain looks like.

Once you've seen the course you will have a mental "foundation" to play the race through your head.

By the time I get to race day I've done the race in my mind at least a hundred times in my mind. Then it's just a matter of executing it one more time.

Have fun. Good luck.
2014-07-21 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
2014-07-21 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Mental preparation for a race isn't much different than mental preparation for a music recital, scholastic bowl, or even a big test.  

Focus on positive outcomes.  Cement in your head what success looks like and feels like.  Picture yourself crossing the finish line with a huge smile.  

Practice packing and unpacking your gear.  mark out an area in your yard about 30" wide and 15" deep (think of the area from your bicycle seat all the way to the front of the front tire.  You can lean your bike against a wall or fence.  Lay out your helmet, sunglasses, shoes, and socks.  Lay out your race belt and running shoes.  Pack your wetsuit (if you're using one) and goggles into your bag.  Pack your run gear next, and pack your bike gear last.  Go inside and unpack it all on your bedroom floor (or bed).  Lay it out Swim-Bike-Run, then pack it in your bag, go to where you're "practice transition" area is and unpack it from the bag.  If you forgot things, add them to your checklist and practice packing and repacking your gear.  You can think of 3 categories for packing.  

Race gear (anything you expect to use during the race, including the bicycle).  Race gear usually stays in your transition spot during part of the race.  
Pre/Post race gear (flip flops, floor pump, FLASHLIGHT, etc. that you expect to use either before or after the race including nutrition)  This gear might be used and then moved to the edge of the transition area or given to that special person who's there to cheer for you and support your effort.  
"Emergency" gear (things you might want but hope to not use, spare tire, bike tool kit, etc.)  This is stuff that would most likely stay in the car unless disaster strikes.  

At this point, your physical fitness isn't going to change much if you keep doing what you've been doing.  While you might find a few elusive seconds on your run pace, you won't find minutes.  

You'll probably experience some pre-race jitters and a whole host of "what if's" including "what if I forget my bicycle?"  Practice packing and you'll be confident you didn't forget anything critical.  

2014-07-21 10:57 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

I was never athletic when I was younger and was a bit scarred by consistently one of the last people picked in gym class, so discovering my inner athlete later in life intimidated me. Something to keep in mind, is that no matter how badly you do, nothing bad will happen. You can literally fall flat on your face, and no one will laugh at you (although you may want to get that nose checked out). If you are last, people will still cheer for you as you cross the finish line. The next time you can go out to be second-to-last, and hey, you've improved!

Ahead of the race, I agree with making lists and practicing setup and transition. Planning and being prepared always makes me feel better.

During the race, I like to have memory of something that I have accomplished locked and loaded. My favorite one was the first time I ran nonstop up a two-mile long hill that had been frustrating me for months. Find something that you can draw on to remind yourself that you are strong and inspiring.

2014-07-21 12:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Running a triathlon has been on my bucket list since I saw Kona coverage on TV in High School... This was long before I'd ever heard the term "Bucket List" as well...

Fast Forward 20+ years, and I made a sprint tri a fitness goal to help me get active to lose weight. After all the work was done, I sat down and read... a LOT (both here and slowtwitch). For me, if I know it can happen, then I can mentally prepare for it. I got kicked and punched in the swim... but I expected it, didn't panic, made my adjustment and went on. I similarly went through what could happen on the bike and run, and mentally prepped myself for each situation I read about or could think of. As a French Horn player, and (formerly) a competitive bowler, I found that the mental prep for both were quite similar (and painfully repetitive at times!). You should be just fine come race day.

I would suggest reading race reports... That seemed to be the place where I found the most things that didnt go as planned, and the comments by the authors as to how they would do it differently.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-07-21 12:58 PM
2014-07-21 4:08 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
2014-07-21 4:51 PM
in reply to: COgirl

User image

I'm not the kind of person that can prepare by reading. I can only prepare by experience. Of course for your first one you don't have any experience, but you can experience things second hand. Before my first tri I had volunteered for a couple triathlons so I got to know what transition was like. I also participated as the runner in a relay triathlon.

Is there any way you can go and watch another triathlon, or better yet, volunteer?
2014-07-21 8:25 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Originally posted by pwoolson

, what if, what if, what if. STOP! Imagine skiing down main street with thousands of people screaming and ringing cowbells, hearing my name on the loud speakers...all is well.
You might give it a try. The mind is a very powerful thing, both good and bad.
Oh, and if you don't already, make lists. Rather than telling yourself to "remember to pack such-and-such", write it down and clear it from your head. The way I see it, there is only so much capacity in one's brain. So I like to keep it clear of clutter so I can focus on the important stuff, like the lyrics to every Oscar Meyer jingle.
Good luck and remember that is supposed to be FUN!!!

This works for mel, when I sometime do my training run or bike, it bothers me when I get pass by others.

I like the list cause little things like tying my hair tighter is a must. The other day the wind was blowing hard and I could not concentrate when I was biking.
2014-07-21 8:28 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Once you've seen the course you will have a mental "foundation" to play the race through your head.

By the time I get to race day I've done the race in my mind at least a hundred times in my mind. Then it's just a matter of executing it one more time.

Have fun. Good luck.

I like the "racing" through my head so I won't freak out!!! , since the bike route on race day has lots of undulating hills!!!

2014-07-21 11:30 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Originally posted by msteiner

Here are some posts from Endurance Corner that look helpful:

http://www.endurancecorner.com/Gordo_Byrn/mental_conditioning

http://www.endurancecorner.com/Mike_Coughlin/race_week

One that stands out from these articles:

For me, race week preparedness is about controlling the controllable to free ourselves up to best apply our fitness and mental skills on race day.

This morning , when I was running, I kept telling myself I will train like you race but also race what I trained for so that I don't do something "stupid" and injure myself.
2014-07-21 11:34 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Originally posted by happyscientist

I was never athletic when I was younger and was a bit scarred by consistently one of the last people picked in gym class, so discovering my inner athlete later in life intimidated me. Something to keep in mind, is that no matter how badly you do, nothing bad will happen. You can literally fall flat on your face, and no one will laugh at you (although you may want to get that nose checked out). If you are last, people will still cheer for you as you cross the finish line. The next time you can go out to be second-to-last, and hey, you've improved!

This inspires that I'm not the only one who did not grow up athletic. Yup, I passed all my P.E. classes because of the written exams. 'Can't believe I started being athletic when I'm also 50 yrs old.
2014-07-21 11:43 PM
in reply to: COgirl

User image

From the book:
(paraphrased: The hills repeat after a long bike ride/ run adds fitness but also mental toughness.) This is true, there are times that I'm tired and my body does not want to run or pedal anymore, I tell myself don't stop, you've done this before. When I go home and drink my smoothie, I love the feeling of accomplishment
2014-07-21 11:48 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I'm not the kind of person that can prepare by reading. I can only prepare by experience. Of course for your first one you don't have any experience, but you can experience things second hand. Before my first tri I had volunteered for a couple triathlons so I got to know what transition was like. I also participated as the runner in a relay triathlon.

Is there any way you can go and watch another triathlon, or better yet, volunteer?

No triathlons nearby my city before my race day, but this is an...
Excellent, excellent idea... I'll do this in my future triathlons, preferably race with OWS.
2014-07-21 11:52 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Originally posted by WebFootFreak

I would suggest reading race reports... That seemed to be the place where I found the most things that didnt go as planned, and the comments by the authors as to how they would do it differently.

You're right, I like reading about race reports when an unexpected happened and the athlete overcame and still had a good attitude, and continued to join another race like nothing happened!

2014-07-22 6:46 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Phebes
Originally posted by happyscientist I was never athletic when I was younger and was a bit scarred by consistently one of the last people picked in gym class, so discovering my inner athlete later in life intimidated me. Something to keep in mind, is that no matter how badly you do, nothing bad will happen. You can literally fall flat on your face, and no one will laugh at you (although you may want to get that nose checked out). If you are last, people will still cheer for you as you cross the finish line. The next time you can go out to be second-to-last, and hey, you've improved!
This inspires that I'm not the only one who did not grow up athletic. Yup, I passed all my P.E. classes because of the written exams. 'Can't believe I started being athletic when I'm also 50 yrs old.

Start believing you ARE athletic!  

As long as you're still thinking in the old terms, you will stay trapped in the old world.  

2014-07-22 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

When I was getting ready for my first Triathlon (just a couple years ago!) I found a lot of insight in the "My first triathlon" articles here on BT.com and I even wrote one to add my experiences.

2014-07-22 9:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz

Originally posted by Phebes
Originally posted by happyscientist I was never athletic when I was younger and was a bit scarred by consistently one of the last people picked in gym class, so discovering my inner athlete later in life intimidated me. Something to keep in mind, is that no matter how badly you do, nothing bad will happen. You can literally fall flat on your face, and no one will laugh at you (although you may want to get that nose checked out). If you are last, people will still cheer for you as you cross the finish line. The next time you can go out to be second-to-last, and hey, you've improved!

Start believing you ARE athletic!  

As long as you're still thinking in the old terms, you will stay trapped in the old world.  

Thanks for your insight.
2014-07-22 9:10 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Originally posted by MOlsen

When I was getting ready for my first Triathlon (just a couple years ago!) I found a lot of insight in the "My first triathlon" articles here on BT.com and I even wrote one to add my experiences.

Your story is inspiring , you pressed on even with obstacles. Thanks for you story (first tri).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » mental preparedness Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mental Preparedness

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1192 Posts: 6

2012-10-10 5:36 PM La Tortuga

Shortest long run for marathon preparedness? Pages: 1 2

Started by Axis of Weasel
Views: 3744 Posts: 28

2012-09-29 7:21 AM jcnipper

Mental aspect of OWS

Started by KathyG
Views: 917 Posts: 14

2005-09-25 6:28 PM marina

My mental game

Started by sirsam16
Views: 709 Posts: 5

2004-06-07 11:14 AM Whizzer

Need some mental counselling Pages: 1 2

Started by Spencer
Views: 1736 Posts: 26

2004-06-14 9:10 AM ckujawa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
comments : 0
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.

date : December 27, 2004
author : gsmacleod
comments : 1
I have seen very athletically talented teams fall apart in clutch situations and much less gifted teams play well above their ability!
date : September 4, 2004
author : Dillion
I have come to a realization that it is my mind that takes me out of a race and not my physical capabilities.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
I take for granted getting to train and how fortunate I am to have the health that I have. Life…it doesn’t seem fair and it’s not always fair.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I had a great experience being a volunteer, but used the time to educate myself on anything that could allow me to have a better race or pass something on to the readers at BT.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.

date : August 31, 2004
Bikes need to be treated as vehicles by those who ride them.