General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Cap = Headache Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-21 10:20 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Subject: Swim Cap = Headache
So I'm just curious if others have experienced this before. I swam with my swim cap (Sporti Silicon) for the first time today and during the swim it seemed buoyant, which I'm sure it's supposed to do but after my long set (still a beginner 600 m continuous) my head was pounding and quite hot. I have not experienced this before when doing this same distance/effort and it's obviously the cap but I imagine my head without the cap is able to cool off and is not restricted (it seems tight I guess). Has anyone else encountered this? Does this go away after time wearing it? Thanks for any input!

2014-07-21 10:23 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Swim Cap = Headache
Silicon caps can be hotter than latex for sure. I always double cap it in open water when the race caps are latex. Inner is silicon.
2014-07-22 12:32 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by ChemNerd23

So I'm just curious if others have experienced this before. I swam with my swim cap (Sporti Silicon) for the first time today and during the swim it seemed buoyant, which I'm sure it's supposed to do but after my long set (still a beginner 600 m continuous) my head was pounding and quite hot. I have not experienced this before when doing this same distance/effort and it's obviously the cap but I imagine my head without the cap is able to cool off and is not restricted (it seems tight I guess). Has anyone else encountered this? Does this go away after time wearing it? Thanks for any input!

No it probably wont go away. You may have a bigger head circumference than the cap was made for. Most swim caps appear to be the same size, but you might want to look for a dome shape or semi-dome or a latex cap that tends to strectch a bit more. Silicon is definately warmer than latex and if it seemed bouyant, it's because air was trapped inside, which may mean it was tight around your head and the air was not able to get out when putting it on.

Some days I cannot wear a cap due to headaches.

I have some friends that cannot wear caps for long at all due to having a big head circumference.
2014-07-22 10:01 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Thanks for the input! I guess it's from all the knowledge I'm getting as a graduate student :-P yeah I may try it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke but I can also try to put it on better next time too. At triathlon races do they generally give Latex or Silicon swim caps for the swim waves? I know they are cheap to buy but I'll probably just wait until my race next month and do without one until then. Not worth the headaches and heat.
2014-07-22 11:21 AM

User image

When I do my 1400m+ swim, I got headaches too. I found out that I wear my goggles too tight. Lately, I loosened the goggles and the headaches are gone. I'm still experimenting on the right "amount" of tightness to wear my goggles so that the water does not get in.

I'm guessing the swim cap are too tight.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Cap = Headache Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Open water swimming (somewhat cold) - swim cap required?

Started by iOrlando
Views: 2316 Posts: 10

2011-05-25 8:30 AM Av8rTx

Swim goggles & swim caps

Started by globetruck
Views: 2307 Posts: 10

2010-04-16 9:52 PM SDCali

Cold water swim - insulated swim cap?

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 6233 Posts: 14

2009-06-03 7:58 PM Catwoman

Race Cap over Swim Cap

Started by GolfMark
Views: 1398 Posts: 12

2007-01-17 3:27 PM rollinbones

swimming caps to prevent headaches

Started by auto208562
Views: 720 Posts: 2

2004-12-29 1:43 AM gocorey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 28, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!