General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody riding a Planet X Stealth? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-22 5:59 AM

Subject: Anybody riding a Planet X Stealth?
I just found out about these bikes, and they the only TT bike that is firmly within the realm of possibility for me to afford. I can't find any bad reviews on the interwebs, but I thought it best to ask here before I buy something i might regret. The low price just seems too good to be true.

How is it? any bad experiences? is there something better for the money?

2014-07-22 6:05 AM
in reply to: seiken

User image

Subject: RE: Anybody riding a Planet X Stealth?
looking at the prices here - http://www.planet-x-usa.com/category-s/1923.htm- you can get other TT bikes at the same price range...I dont' know of anyone that rides one, but then others here may weigh in

I'd be hesitant to order a bike online as well, and it doesn't seem as though they are featured by any dealers - you don't even know if this bike will fit you
2014-07-22 6:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I did a quick google and found this
http://leegoocrap.blogspot.ca/2013/11/review-long-term-thoughts-on-...

leegocrap is a user here and a knowledgeable guy. You may want to pick his brain. Mimicking his position may be hazardous to your health :-)

Also, I think you can get a Chinese version of this bike for a lot less $. Not sure, would require research.

Edited by marcag 2014-07-22 6:18 AM
2014-07-22 6:26 AM
in reply to: seiken

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
^thanks Marc

My thoughts haven't changed from my blog post. It's a frame that has got me through a LOT of races. It's easy to work on (external cables and no integration) and it looks good. (imo at least)

If you are savvy at shopping the forums / ebay, have the time (and will) and don't mind used stuff, you can probably end up with a better bike for the $ though.
2014-07-22 5:02 PM

User image

I rode a PX stealth for two (?) seasons, including Oceanside 70.3 X2 and IM Canada (in fact it's right there <---), replaced last year after getting a better fit and finding a more suitable frame.  It ws a great bike for the price, and unlike any (most) others in transition.  Only ever saw one other one at a race (Canada).   Trying to sell it at the moment, but the resale as you can imagine is low since the frames are dirt cheap.

I was really pretty happy with it overall.  I like the BMC loads better though  

Edited by ChrisM 2014-07-22 5:03 PM
2014-07-22 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
I had the PedalForce version of the same frame/fork/seat post. Did IMCOZ on it, qualified for and raced 70.3 Worlds on it, rode it tons including a 230 mile single day solo ride over three local mountain passes, did some TTs on it... I'd still have it but two years ago we had three bikes stolen out of our garage including that one. I replaced it with an Argon 18 E116. The PX/PedalForce/Several other brand bike has a stiff and linear ride quality to it. The fork and frame feel like one unit. Its dampens road buzz nicely. My E116 is a nicer ride, it dampens road buzz better and seems to have more flex designed in. Fit n finish on the Argon is better too, as are hardware bits. I also have an older Litespeed Tri bike, but it rides way differently than carbon bikes and does not climb nearly as well.

I'd happily ride n race PX bike today if my version had not walked off. When I first built it up I managed to keep the total cost under $1,000 by parts bin scores on components, eBay scores, Slow Twitch classified scores, and some old parts off my wife's Tri bike. Took a lot of pride putting up fast bike times on a "cheap" bike and passing folks on rigs that cost many times more $. Over a few seasons it some how managed to find nicer components and wheels on it, not sure how that could have happened

edit: I took a look thru my profile pics and there is a good one of the bike doing Lk Stevens 70.3 the year I qualified for Worlds. I was running group buy no name China direct wheels with an Aerojacket disc cover keeping the fast on a budget theme alive. In the IMCOZ pics I borrowed the Zipp 606 set in the pic. The cockpit had to been 10+ years old thinking about it. If I remember right it put new extensions on but reused shifters (9sp), brake levers, base bar, cups, stem.... All from a mid 90s Litespeed Tri bike. The SRAM Rival crank on there was the most "bling" on the whole bike. Before that it was an old Ultegra crank from the mid 90s, pretty sure the rear derailure was the same vintage.

Edited by magic 2014-07-22 10:28 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody riding a Planet X Stealth? Rss Feed