General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First timer in Arizona Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-22 2:00 PM

User image

Subject: First timer in Arizona
Hi all! I literally just registered for my first sprint tri yesterday. I'm an absolute beginner in all areas so I'm very nervous.

My sister is my inspiration for doing this. She did her first tri about a year ago and has been kicking some serious butt ever since. I was able to watch her do one a couple of weeks ago and I was so incredibly proud of her and I saw how proud she was of herself. She looks amazing and she feels amazing.

So, I'm excited to start this journey. My first sprint will be November 22, but I'm eyeballing a mini on October 4 maybe to get my feet wet. (No pun intended!)

2014-07-26 11:15 AM
in reply to: dmgaudre

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: First timer in Arizona

Welcome and congrats on signing up for that first race.  What's your background in starting your journey? 

2014-07-26 11:45 AM
in reply to: #5029150

User image

Hi Ron,

Thanks! As far as background, I'm not sure if you mean in terms of fitness or just inspiration. As far as fitness goes, I'm very out of shape. I'm one of those out of shape thin people. :-/ I just turned 40 last month and I figured it's time I do something about it! Working out has never been something that I have enjoyed, but I've also never had an end goal in mind, and I'm a goal oriented person. Registering for my first sprint has given me a goal and I'm really excited about it.

My sister is definitely my inspiration for this. I'm really excited to get into the training!
2014-07-28 12:37 PM
in reply to: dmgaudre

User image

Champion

Hey!  I just turned 40 last month too.  Feel any different?  Just another year?    

Let us know if you need any help picking out a plan or have any questions.

Ron

2014-07-28 4:01 PM
in reply to: #5030822

User image

Just another year now, but the first week was rough! ;-)

I'm literally just starting out so I've been going to the pool just to practice going under water. Yup, I have never been able to put my face in the water without holding the nose. :-/ I'm getting the hang of it, so I think I'll be ok. Now it's the turn head to breathe part I'm having an issue with! Lol

I'm using the Y for the pool and gym. I live just outside of Phoenix and it's really just too hot for me to run or bike outside right now.

I had knee surgery about 8 months ago so I'm taking it slow with the run and bike. My goal is to just finish the race, not try to break any records!

I am open to any training plans or ideas, I have just under 4 months at this point to get ready. :-)

Deanna
2014-07-28 4:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Welcome Deanna

I hear you on the heat! My husband and I only get out for rides/runs in the early morning (5:30ish) these days. Which race did you decide for your first? That's a great time of year around here. I did my first sprint in early Nov a couple of years ago; it was beautiful. You will have a lot of fun challenging yourself mentally and physically in the next few of months  

Looks like you have a bit of work to do on the swim Someone on BT pointed me here http://www.swimsmooth.com/ for tips when I first started. In my infinite planning wisdom, I signed up 4 weeks prior and gave myself a whole month of "training" before my first (eeeek!). Just make a plan and stick to it...at least 3 swims per week. As weather gets cooler, make sure you get out on the roads/trails for part of your training. It will definitely make you feel more confident.

I had knee surgery years ago, and I still get aches and pains. Listen to what your body is telling you. I've found yoga to be really helpful for keeping my knee from getting too tight/sore.

Good luck and enjoy the S/B/R!

P.S. Here's a free BT plan that is swim focused (they have others as well) if you're interested in something that is structured. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=9&memberlevel=1

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-07-28 4:50 PM

2014-07-28 9:21 PM
in reply to: #5029150

User image

Hi Erin!

I am doing the spa girl tri on November 22 at The Marriott at Desert Ridge. I figured a sprint for my first tri and mimosas at the end would be great motivation!

The only bike I have at the moment is a mountain bike. I'm hoping to borrow a road bike for the tri, but my hook up may decide to do it with me. :-) So I'm really happy that I can at least work on my endurance at the Y.

I'm glad to see that knee surgery is not an issue for people. I am listening to my body, and my knee is telling me it's glad to be used again. ;-)

Thanks so much for the link. The swim is truly my main source of anxiety. If I get that down I'll feel that much more comfortable!

Deanna
2014-07-30 11:06 PM
in reply to: #5031764

Congrats on taking the plunge into triathlons! I too was inspired by my sister to take up the sport after watching her compete in March! I competed in my first triathlon this month (it didn't go very well, but I'm sure the next will be better!) and will also be doing spa girls in November
2014-07-31 7:40 AM
in reply to: Nucgirl

User image

Elite
the desert
Deanna,Since you're in Az, drink lots of water. Run/ride as early as you can. You won't feel the heat as much on the ride, but you'll definitely get it on the run. Not sure which part of Phoenix you are in, but the canal system can be a great place for beginners to ride safely (paved paths, no cars). The Arizona forum isn't as busy as it has been in the past, but introduce yourself in there as well and you can get some local tips (where to ride, advice, etc). Since you're race isn't until October, you have plenty of time to get ready. You should also check out some races as a spectator or volunteer to see this craziness first hand.Tom
2014-07-31 2:15 PM
in reply to: Fitzy

User image

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the advice. I did go ahead and introduce myself over in the Arizona forum. I can't wait for the weather to start to cool off a bit so I can get outside! The heat and I are definitely not friends...lol
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First timer in Arizona Rss Feed