General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Waseca vs. Chisago (sprint) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-24 12:47 PM

Expert
Subject: Waseca vs. Chisago (sprint)
Looked at my schedule and just realized August is a very bad month for me to race, so am going to try to sneak one in this weekend. I see both Waseca and Chisago happening this Sunday. Leaning toward Chisago as it is a bit shorter drive, (and it has a longer bike, which is my best leg) but interested in others opinions who have raced these. I'm not about huge races -- I always stay away from Lifetime -- but both of these seem to have a community feel.

2014-07-24 12:49 PM
in reply to: Hazelmn

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Waseca vs. Chisago (sprint)
Originally posted by Hazelmn

Looked at my schedule and just realized August is a very bad month for me to race, so am going to try to sneak one in this weekend. I see both Waseca and Chisago happening this Sunday. Leaning toward Chisago as it is a bit shorter drive, (and it has a longer bike, which is my best leg) but interested in others opinions who have raced these. I'm not about huge races -- I always stay away from Lifetime -- but both of these seem to have a community feel.

I have only ever done the HIM @ Chisago, and while the feild is always massive, it is a pretty decent race - good roads, and good aid stations

I haven't done Waseca, so no info for you there

Good luck
2014-07-24 1:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I've only done Waseca (I did the 1/3 iron) and liked it.  The only complaint I have is VERY hot swim.  Maybe the lake is super shallow, maybe it was a fluke, who knows. 

I've rode the half iron course at Chisago a few times this summer.  Paradise Park is nice, but there's a HUGE climb out of the water.  I wouldn't want to do that.  The park in Waseca is very flat.

Not only is the bike shorter at Waseca, but the run is LONGER.  

On the balance, I'd personally pick Chisago due to the bike distance. But Waseca will definitely be more laid back, and I generally enjoy Final Stretch events.

I'll be spectating in Waseca.  If you say hi, so I can recognize you, I'll cheer really loud!

2014-07-25 10:08 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Expert
Thanks, everyone. I think I will do Chisago. I too am a fan of Final Stretch, but I think the distances at Chisago better align with what my training has been about this summer. Looks like a nice weekend in store, albeit a bit windy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Waseca vs. Chisago (sprint) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Waseca Tri (Sprint) : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 3402 Posts: 31

2010-08-03 4:15 PM BikerGrrrl

Waseca 1/3 Iron & Sprint- AUG 2nd!

Started by wnevala
Views: 1616 Posts: 20

2009-08-05 11:10 AM wnevala

Waseca 1/3 Iron-distance & Sprint Triathlon Registration Now Open

Started by wnevala
Views: 3832 Posts: 8

2009-04-28 11:56 AM SBR It

Chisago HIM & Sprint earlybird registration

Started by benihana
Views: 654 Posts: 1

2007-10-22 9:21 PM benihana

Chisago HIM & Sprint earlybird registration

Started by benihana
Views: 854 Posts: 16

2007-10-29 1:16 PM JoeR
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.