General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Removing Stubborn Bike Pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-25 11:36 PM

Subject: Removing Stubborn Bike Pedals
You Guys,

I'm new to bikes. Currently I'm trying to replace my stock toe cages with clip-less pedals. However, I can't get the damn toe cages off. I've done it all. Hell I've gone so far as to stand on the wrench to try and get it to budge. I really don't want to take it to a bike shop because they'll charge me more than I want to pay. (There's also this thing called pride...) Does anyone have advice or some unusual tactics to outsmarting these toe cages?

2014-07-31 12:15 AM
in reply to: broneils_

User image

Subject: RE: Removing Stubborn Bike Pedals
get a piece of pvc pipe, about a foot or so long, and with enough room to put your allen wrench or pedal wrench, whichever you are using, into the end. This will give you considerably more leverage. Also, you can always try something like PB Blaster, but be careful because some of those substances can harm the different types of metal used.
2014-07-31 11:13 AM
in reply to: n8dawgbu

The PVC pipe worked like magic. Thanks for the help!
2014-08-06 11:03 PM
in reply to: broneils_

User image

great! glad it worked
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Removing Stubborn Bike Pedals Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

professional bike fitter in Okc area

Started by EKH
Views: 2648 Posts: 7

2011-06-12 9:48 AM phoenixazul

Redman bike course - roads

Started by lisac957
Views: 1567 Posts: 2

2009-07-18 8:05 PM ballyard7

Durant Magnolia Bike Ride

Started by ashort33
Views: 2266 Posts: 3

2009-05-28 6:53 AM ashort33

Bike Fitting OKC

Started by enriquie
Views: 2795 Posts: 5

2009-08-13 1:07 PM OkiePrill

Bike rides in Tulsa

Started by TexOma
Views: 1182 Posts: 2

2007-06-25 12:30 PM ballyard7
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.
date : September 9, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?

date : March 18, 2008
author : Coach AJ
A video covering some very basic concepts of several components of a triathlon bike. Learn about gearing, shifting, pedals and a little about selecting a cassette for you.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.