General Discussion Race Reports! » Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Truckee, California
United States
Big Blue Adventure, LLC
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 49s
Overall Rank = 104/187
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Typical me: Pasta the night before, tried to go to bed early to get enough sleep, slept restlessly instead. Awake at 5:30, left hotel around 6:00. Yogurt with a little granola for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Mostly just running around trying to figure out where the various starts and finishes were, full of nervous energy. About 20 minutes before my swim start, I swam out to the first buoy (about 125 yd?), figured out my line of sight to the second buoy, and then swam back in right before the first wave started. Stayed in the water until 5 minutes before my wave.
Swim
  • 09m 19s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty solid swim. I was worried about swimming at altitude coming from elevation of 52 ft, but I had done a practice swim in Lake Tahoe (similar altitude) earlier this week. I didn't push it hard, but maintained a nice, easy pace, because I didn't want to lose my breath and get panicky. Was able to swim freestyle the whole time, no flipping to my back or breaststroke.
What would you do differently?:

Between buoy one and buoy turn, I perhaps should have maintained a tighter line. I kept bumping in to a couple of people though, so I ended up swimming on the outside of them. It probably added a little to my swim distance and time, but not much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Solid transition for me. It was a hundred yard or more run along sand/grass with my bike before I could jump on, which was a little annoying. (19th overall on transition)

Nothing. I'm pleased.
Bike
  • 35m 56s
  • 6 miles
  • 10.02 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike was hard. Living in an area with no hills, I severely underestimated how hard the hills would be. I assumed I'd be able to hold 10 mph or so uphill. Not so. 5-6 mph. I'd practiced riding our hills (back and forth across interstate overpass), but that didn't compare, plus the elevation. It took me a solid 1.5 miles to get my breathing and heart rate under control, and then I still had another 1.5 miles of climbing. Coming down was fun, but also scary, as I'm not used to clocking 30 mph+ on my bike. Probably rode the brakes more than I needed to, but I found it scary (and then my hands cramped).

Get out of town. Find hills. Train hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

The actual putting away my bike gear and putting on my running gear was fine. Then I ran towards the wrong exit (athlete entrance, not run out). Typical me. Even though I had scoped the course ahead of time, in the moment I get forgetful and confused. (Lack of oxygen to the brain?) (135th overall on transition)

Go towards the right exit!
Run
  • 20m 34s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, I was worried about elevation here and assumed I would run slower. I've been running a pretty consistent 9.5 min/mi in training, and figured it would be 10.5-11 min/mi at elevation. I'm pleased with my pace of 10 min 17 sec per mi. I walked up one hill on the way out, and then walked for a few steps with my gatorade as to not splash it all over myself, and enjoy the refreshment.

Probably could have picked up the pace about a tenth of a mile sooner at the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Visiting vendors. Wandering about.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike was really hard for me. I need to expect slower speeds at elevation, but also find places to train hills. Very pleased with my swim. The results definitely show that the swim is my strongest, followed be the bike, and last the run.

Last updated: 2014-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:19 | 440 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 39/187
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Rectangle course, two left turns. Time includes run up to transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:29
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:56 | 06 miles | 10.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 116/187
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: 3 miles up hill, 3 miles downhill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:34 | 02 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 147/187
Course: Out and back, some gentle rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-26 7:40 PM

Subject: Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

2014-07-27 2:41 AM
in reply to: #5030908

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

I did the Donner Lake course a few years back.  You're right-the bike portion is HARD!  I'm not sure you'll ever find those kind of hills inless you live in the mountain areas.  Glad you had good race. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by StephanieDiamond
Views: 599 Posts: 1

2012-10-29 11:33 AM StephanieDiamond

Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by rjh60
Views: 838 Posts: 1

2012-07-15 3:52 PM rjh60

Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by ecattell
Views: 1192 Posts: 1

2006-07-17 4:48 PM ecattell

Donner Lake Sprint Triathlon

Started by rnspamela
Views: 1049 Posts: 2

2006-07-17 10:32 PM cadreamer

Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by getontheh2o
Views: 1053 Posts: 1

2006-06-27 2:45 PM getontheh2o
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.