United States
Tri It Now
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 35s
Overall Rank = 8/307
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/25
Pre-race routine:

slept at home and drove to race. had a bagel w/ cream cheese on the way. ate a granola bar while setting up transition and hit the bathroom and body marking lines. waited around and talked to paul (grems8544).
Event warmup:

mostly stretching. i considered going for a warmup run and remarked that i used to do warm up runs, but never really do it anymore.
Swim
  • 06m 36s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

i haven't swam since the ironman (3 weeks) so i wasn't sure how the swim would go. i started strong but began to tire ~150 yards in. at that point i was starting to catch the woman in front of me so i had to push it to pass safely. i then caught a guy 2 in front of me and we got to the wall at the same time, but he would not let me by. i didn't care and figured i would safely pass on the next straight, but he swam that entire length on the left side! i slammed into him not expecting to have him heading up the left side and was unable to pass that entire length. finally, i was able to get by on the third length. i guess he had the last laugh though since i'm pretty sure he beat me by :27 seconds overall. maybe they should call blocking penalties in the water. haha.
the next person in front of me was my wife, but she is a good swimmer and i couldn't catch her.
What would you do differently?:

not sure. would passing on the right be a penalty?
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

the t1 and t2 times are included in the bike split.
passed k (my wife) on the run to transition area, but she was a few seconds faster and yelled "i beat you" with a big smile on her face on the way out of t1. once we hit the mount line, she pulled over and let me go. she was happy to beat me out of t1. it was nice to see her since they seem screw the women in my wife's age group at all the tri's and put them near the end.

i decided not to wear socks and to wear my top in the pool which saved a ton of time, but i didn't start with my shoes on the pedals. someday.
Bike
  • 24m 51s
  • 8 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

bike time includes t1 and t2. according to my bike, my speed was just above 20mph.
could never really get into a comfortable pace. every time you start to settle in, there was a u-turn. it was nice to be able to stand and sprint out of the corners, but that takes a little bit out of you too.

nothing. go harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

this was my best transition yet. probably ~20 seconds. i took my shoes off on the bike and got off on a run.

nothing.
Run
  • 12m 9s
  • 1.8 miles
  • 06m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

i haven't run at all since the ironman either. mostly because i am nursing some left knee pain that i've been worried about for a little while now. i made it through the ironman with it so i knew i could make it through this, but i was hoping for a fast run.
right from the start i could feel some pain and it just started building. i couldn't keep any decent form and was just pushing because of the short distance. ~1/2 mile in was the worst and i actually considered walking the rest to be safe, but just a few steps after that it bean to loosen up and would come and go the rest of the run. it ended up being a respectable run. but i am realizing now that if i was able to do what i'm capable of at that distance (at least what my friends think i'm capable of!), i could have been 3rd overall and had the fastest run split.
oh well.

nothing. i should get to a doctor so this doesn't linger too long.
Post race
Warm down:

walked to the car to get camera and cheered on the other athletes. small finish area, so everyone lingered and cheered. it was pretty cool.
we then we watched the kids duathlon and cheered on paul's (grems8544) son as he won his heat after finishing second 2 years in a row. he now wants a road bike and i think he's earned it, but i don't have kids so easy for me to say. haha.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

knee problem? post ironman? who knows. happy with the way things went overall.

Event comments:

i'm not sure i get the "overall course based on my ability question" unless you win by 3:30 (like Michael Harlow. he was a monster) or DNF, the race is just right for your ability.
it's a great race for beginners. it started late and the bike course is frustrating, but it is the first race i ever did and a fun race to get sparted with the sport. nice facility, good transition area, and lots of volunteers. i can't rate any race without chip timing above average though.

Last updated: 2006-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:36 | 400 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 56/307
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: pool swim. 1 way in 16 different lanes. had to switch every 25 yards.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:24:51 | 08 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Overall: 13/307
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps of a t shaped course with several 90 degree turns and 3 u-turns on each loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:12:09 | 01.8 miles | 06m 45s  min/mile
Overall: 12/307
Course: out and back through paths and parking lots.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-15 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Summer Super Sprint Triathlon

2006-08-15 10:22 AM
in reply to: #511860

User image

Regular
West Hartford
Subject: RE: Summer Super Sprint Triathlon
Tough for me to give any advice to the age group winner but your swim times now meriting you learning and using two new techniques. The first is the ankle pull; to pass on the left use your right hand to grab the left ankle of the person is front of you. Pull hard while passing on left.
The second is the back/shoulder push off. As you pass on the left, if they weave into you; plant your right hand on their should/back and push down hard. This will cause your competior to sink/let you pass....

Just kidding... kind of....

Great race!!!!!
2006-08-15 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
nice race...how much did you beat #2 by?
2006-08-15 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Great race. I have also transitioned into not wearing socks on the bike. I like it; it definitely saves you time!

Nice AG win
2006-08-15 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Great race! awesome that you and K got to swap spots a couple times. also take taco's advice, only if you have the balls to withstand the same being done to you
2006-08-15 4:02 PM
in reply to: #512176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
mr. Picklesimer was 1:41 back and and mr. Monteleone was 4:41 back

2006-08-15 4:05 PM
in reply to: #512551

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
that is good advice taco. i'm not sure i'd be willing to do it, but after the attempt at a pass i was getting ready to try anything.
i wouldn't have to worry about it being done to me. i don't block on the swim. a tap on my feet and i'll let you right by... and then draft off you the rest of the way.
2006-08-16 9:44 AM

User image

Regular
Vienna, VA

Great job ... no, strike that ... impressive!  I was humping on the bike leg but still couldn't match your speed, try as I was...

Thanks too for cheering the boyz -- Greg remembered you and knew that you and K were watching him from the curb.

As far as the knee is concerned, I like commonwealth ortho in reston, specifically this guy:  http://www.c-o-r.com/about-physicians-parker.php   he did magic on my knee.

2006-08-16 11:05 AM

User image

Regular
It was nice to meet you too, great job on the race and congrats on winning your age group. Definitely hope to see you at future races as I get more into tri's.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Summer Super Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed