Vineman
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 28m 17s
Overall Rank = 129/317
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 24/39
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5:45am and was able to get myself all packed up and down for breakfast by about 6:30 - had english muffin with peanut butter, banana, and about 8 oz. of tea before heading out to the race. My hotel was a 30 minute or so drive from the parking for the race so I was able to get there with about an hour until the swim start. Morning felt perfect.
Event warmup:

Just did a little bit of stretching and spent a few minutes getting acclimated to the water. The water was super warm, so that was easy!
Swim
  • 46m 56s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

My time was about what I expected. They said that the current usually adds a minute or two onto your time.
What would you do differently?:

I am not good at swimming in groups, I kept getting kicked in the face and crashing into people. I need to get better at this, because I certainly could have swam faster if I weren't spending so much time trying to navigate around people!
Transition 1
  • 05m 4s
Comments:

I did well getting dried off and into my shoes, but I also wanted to eat a little bit of solid food here, so I took my time eating a pretzel roll as I walked my bike up the hill to start and I think this was helpful for me. It only added on about a minute, but it was a nice treat for me.

Nothing, I enjoyed taking my time a bit here and getting some solid food in me.
Bike
  • 3h 40m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great about my bike pacing and nutrition. It's a beautiful hilly course and I enjoyed the whole ride!

I'm not sure that I would have done anything differently, though as the ride was ending the temps were really climbing and I could feel my body temp rising -- I don't know if there's anything that can be done to lower body temp while on a bike in the mid-day sun, but being able to get that lower would have certainly helped me out when I started the run.
Transition 2
  • 07m 51s
Comments:

This was super slow on account of being overheated and not able to run AT ALL out of the very long transition area. I walked slowly to my rack, went to the wrong rack, eventually grabbed all I needed and put on sunblock and then walked slowly to the run start. I needed some ice or something here!

I don't know that I could have done anything differently. The heat was really taking its toll at this point, It would have been amazing if the transition area had been under some shade to help with recovery because the blazing sun was really kicking my booty!
Run
  • 2h 47m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy hell, so hot! My legs wanted to run but I was so overheated that I felt dizzy or like I would throw up if I started running. Had to walk most of the first 2 miles. The ice at the first aid stop began to help with cooling me down -- I was drinking as much ice water and gatorade as I could and pouring in on me to try to cool down but it was not happening. It wasn't until the angels at aid stop 3 with their miraculous garden hose doused me that I began to feel any relief. Having that water 4 times during the race allowed me to pick up my pace at least around that stop. I ended up walking up most of the hills and running down as much of the hills as I could. I've never experienced such heat!! I was able to get my body temp under control by about mile 9 through lots of hydration and even more ice. I was able to run most of the last 3-4 miles though I still needed to walk a handful of times. My usual run pace is a 9:20-9:40, so this was rough for me!

I don't know, maybe pick a race in March? It was brutal -- there were so many DNFs, maybe spend a little more time at mile 1 just getting acquainted with ice? I feel happy that I was just able to finish!
Post race
Warm down:

My husband was waiting for me at the finish line and partners aren't allowed in the finishers corral with the food, so I was eager to leave that area. Also, I just wanted to get to my air conditioned car stat! So I grabbed some watermelon, water, and a banana and walked over to grab my race bag and bike. Then we headed home for the 1.5 hour drive. I started to get a little bit of foot cramping on the ride home, but not too horrible. I think the banana and water helped stave that off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The blazing sun!!!

Event comments:

The volunteers were all amazing, it was a well organized race, it's just so damned hot!!

Last updated: 2014-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:56 | 2112 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/39
Overall: 168/317
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Out and back loop, swimming against current out, swimming with current back to finish -- which was amazing.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:40:36 | 56 miles | 15.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/39
Overall: 157/317
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills throughout with one major hill around mile 41 -- Chalk hill can eat it.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:51
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:47:50 | 13.1 miles | 12m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/39
Overall: 119/317
Performance: Below average
Course: Continuous hills in the blazing sun.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-27 9:17 PM

User image

Subject: Barb's Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Barb's Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Barb's Race - Half Ironman

Started by froglegs
Views: 1684 Posts: 3

2011-08-01 10:55 PM jezzieswims

Started by lmscozz
Views: 2771 Posts: 16

2009-08-08 9:31 AM BabsVa

Barb's Race

Started by kathy schwartz
Views: 1247 Posts: 1

2009-08-02 1:19 PM kathy schwartz

Barb's Race

Started by tridizzle
Views: 704 Posts: 3

2007-08-08 11:42 AM AbbieR

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 2173 Posts: 9

2006-08-21 2:41 PM PirateGirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : June 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 4
Coverage of the entire Mooseman Triathlon Festival with race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 8
I’m not going to sugar coat my experience and tell you that it was a piece of cake, but I am going to attempt to give you some advice and useful information that I wish I had before participating.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.