General Discussion Race Reports! » Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cottage Grove, Oregon
United States
Rolf Prima
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 32s
Overall Rank = 11/56
Age Group = W45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5 AM. Kashi, kefir, English muffin, and coffee for breakfast. Drove to site about 6 AM and set up transition around 7 or 7:15. Warmup, had half a banana and a little coffee aboyut 30 minutes before start.
Event warmup:

Rode bike about five minutes to set gears for start (slightly uphill). About 12 minutes of easy jogging with some strides. Walked around and stretched. No swim warmup as, like last year, air temps in low 50's at start (water about 74).
Swim
  • 29m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Didn't do ranks for each event as that data isn't shown in results and too lazy to do manually. Not my strongest swim as I have been unable to swim properly for two weeks owing to bruised ribs from wiping out while swimming in Hawaii. This was the first day I was actually able to swim (although a bit slower than normal) without much discomfort, but it hurt to pull hard so took it easy, not knowing how it would affect bike/run. I also did pretty much everything to avoid contact as that was the one thing I knew might make me DNF, so I no doubt did some extra distance.
What would you do differently?:

I did what I could under the circumstances. In retrospect, not eat a banana about 30 minutes before the start. My stomach has been unsettled for a couple of days (probably due to time of month) and felt weird before the start. Thought maybe a bit of food would help but it didn't--almost came back up mid-swim!
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Again, questions don't capture the problem. It was painful to bend over and putting on socks and shoes was hard. I also decided to wear a light shirt over my tri top for the bike as it felt cold. It was hard to put the shirt on when wet with somewhat limited range of motion.

Don't wear a shirt unless dangerously cold. A clear Oregon morning in the high 50's is not dangerous. Just bike hard to get warm.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 23s
  • 25 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt I was riding hard but didn't have much to show for it. Very unhappy with my split--this was with my better bike (Trek 1.5) and there were no mechanical issues. I tried to stay in aero as much as possible although it was quite painful after a while. But did my best esp. as it was quite windy on the return trip.

Maybe in this case I shouldn't have tried to stay in aero so much? Bending over or curling up makes the bruised area painful and I wonder in retrospect if it was messing up my breathing. I felt like I was sucking air during the hard parts of the bike--couldn't get in deep breaths easily so was breathing quickly with smaller ones and swallowing air.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Too slow. I somehow headed to the right of the rack rather than the left and was on the wrong side, and had to shove the bike and myself under. This was painful, which slowed down my speed at changing shoes. Also probably contributed to cramping at beginning of run.

Not be an idiot. Learn difference between left and right. Not wear shirt on bike so I don't feel the need to take it off for the run.
Run
  • 47m 37s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 46s  min/km
Comments:

The run did not start well as I cramped really badly off the bike (adductors?) in both legs. Felt like I'd pinched a nerve between my crotch and my legs. Maybe just not used to riding this bike in my tri shorts. I tried to keep moving with a quick cadence and the cramp resolved between 1 and 2 miles. Then tried to pick up the pace and pass as many people as I could.

Sigh. Stop getting freak injuries? I missed two weeks of really any run training owing to tripping over tree debris (bone bruise on knee and lots of scrapes) in June, and then another nearly two weeks in July owing to the bruised ribs (thrown onto beach by wave while trying to get out of water when surf picked up on OWS in Hawaii.) I was also without my bike for two weeks on vacation so bike training then suffered. I'd hoped my hard work from earlier in the season would carry me through but it didn't as much as I'd hoped.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of one. Just walked around. Too cramped to run; didn't want to get back in water and swim as I'd have to put wetsuit back on. Long walk later in the afternoon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely, being injured. It wasn't really a deal-breaker but it definitely slowed my swim and transitions by probably a minute each, and maybe contributed to my discomfort and pretty slow split on the bike.

Not having bike for two weeks, maybe not getting used to riding this bike in trishorts. (But it's the same saddle I use on the VN bike, so not sure.)

Run fitness not ideal owing to injuries. I did put in some quality workouts this summer but not able to be consistent, and very few bricks.

Really poor sleep most of the summer. Hard to explain but due to living with family of insomniacs, vacation, my bed, allergies, and later sore ribs. I just can't find a position to get comfortable for more than a few hours, and/or get awakened by others getting up, so my sleep is constantly interrupted. (To be fair, I'm probably keeping them awake, too!)

Maybe related to this, low energy levels. I've done really good quality workouts, esp. masters swim and longer runs/rides, this summer, but they completely wipe me out in a way that normally they wouldn't, even in the heat. Low iron levels? Should know as we have to do blood work for work physical soon. More likely, lack of quality sleep.

Event comments:

Very well-organized, beautiful course, spectator-friendly. No complaints!

Last updated: 2014-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:26 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/56
Performance: Below average
Includes some run to mat. High 28's when I stood up.
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless shorty
Course: One triangular loop in Cottage Grove Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:23 | 25 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Not sure. I checked time at halfway and it was about 40 minutes. So a pretty even split.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling hills around lake for approximately miles 1-4 and 20-25; remainder was out and back (but not all on the same road). Most of the "out" direction was a false flat with gradual climb, some but not all of the "in" section was a gradual descent. Unfortunately the wind picked up when I began the latter, so I was doing the "descent" and the remainder of the loop around the lake into a stiff headwind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:47:37 | 10 kms | 04m 46s  min/km
Performance: Average
? Didn't take any splits, only used watch to time hydration.
Course: Out and back, flat, mostly shaded. Mix of paved and dirt/gravel forest service road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-27 10:11 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Olympic Course

2014-07-28 12:06 PM
in reply to: #5031207

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Olympic Course

Looks like this was a hard race for you, HR.  Good for you for toughing it out and overcoming all the obstacles.  You did your best under the circumstances.  3rd place AG isn't half bad either, even if you felt like it wasn't your best showing.  Heal up soon!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Sprint Distance

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 1646 Posts: 2

2013-07-28 7:49 PM KansasMom

Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course

Started by B-Man12
Views: 1044 Posts: 1

2011-09-06 12:11 PM B-Man12

Started by 312in10
Views: 1315 Posts: 1

2011-08-29 4:05 PM 312in10

Started by rdailey1
Views: 1527 Posts: 3

2011-08-29 8:13 AM rdailey1

Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Sprint Distance

Started by Deekduck
Views: 983 Posts: 1

2011-07-26 5:57 AM Deekduck
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2009
author : pdxbiker
comments : 2
With my new triathlon goal set, I had to find a pool, set a schedule, ramp up the cycling, and keep up the running.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.

date : September 5, 2004
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons
date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.