General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do i stop the calorie deficit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-27 10:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: When do i stop the calorie deficit?
I am coming back from a major accident and two surgeries. During the almost year long down time I put on a fair amount of weight. So I am working hard to get some of the weight off before my first event back which is in four weeks. In the past six weeks I have managed to drop 12# but would really like to drop another six before my event.

Right now my intake is about 2000 calories but I am burning 1000+ calories a day exercising to drop the weight. Some days will vary a lot from that average but whatever I am doing has yielded 2# a week lose. So how long do I continue to run a daily deficit as I approach my event?

2014-07-29 11:35 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: When do i stop the calorie deficit?
So you have net 1000 calories per day? Are you seeing any loss or drop in performance? are you experiencing difficulties with recovery?

1000 net calories a day should result in much more than 2 lbs a week weight loss.

if you still want to lose weight you can keep a net negative balance, but you'll need ot take in nutritionally dense foods, and net cal of 1000 / day sounds too low for health.
2014-07-30 9:28 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Originally posted by AdventureBear

So you have net 1000 calories per day? Are you seeing any loss or drop in performance? are you experiencing difficulties with recovery?

1000 net calories a day should result in much more than 2 lbs a week weight loss.

if you still want to lose weight you can keep a net negative balance, but you'll need ot take in nutritionally dense foods, and net cal of 1000 / day sounds too low for health.

1000 calories a day * 7 = 7000. Assuming 3500 calories per lbs, that is exactly on target.

I don't think you ever stop the calorie deficit. When you do, the hunger takes over and there goes your race weight.

Seriously though, I don't think your hurting yourself so long as the deficit is coming from the training and not fasting. The week before your race you'll be dialing back the training and thus the deficits. The last thing you want to do during race week is take down extra calories and feel bloated.

2014-07-30 10:19 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Coach thanks for the reply. Let me address your comments:

So you have net 1000 calories per day? …On average, yes.

Are you seeing any loss or drop in performance? …None, in fact I am getting faster but that needs to be put in the context of coming off a year of doing nothing because of my accident and subsequent surgeries.

Are you experiencing difficulties with recovery? …None.

1000 net calories a day should result in much more than 2 lbs a week weight loss. …You likely know more than I on the subject which is why I am asking the question. However, as a numbers geek I do know the vagaries of this endeavor. I use Map My Run to determine distance on a ride which I think is reasonably accurate. I know my time is good as I wear a stop watch which I have checked for accuracy. That give me a speed. So what is the calorie burn? Yesterday I rode 23.53 miles in 1:17:01 which is a little over 18 mph. MMR says that’s 2210 calories which is way too high IMO. WebMD says for 16-19 mph and my weight that’s 1449 calories. Bicycle.com says 1446 calories for 16-20 mph. Now I assume I burn more calories at 18 mph than 16 mph but less than 20 mph, so any number I use is a swag. Also, even if the number is correct, it’s not like in absence of riding I was comatose and burning zero so net calorie burn gain is something less than that number anyway.

If you still want to lose weight you can keep a net negative balance, but you'll need to take in nutritionally dense foods, and net cal of 1000 / day sounds too low for health. …I understand the comment but that leads to a question. Does the effect on the body differ if I am achieving the deficit by eating very little or eating a reasonable diet and burning more calories via exercise? Intuitively it would seem the latter is better for you than the former.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do i stop the calorie deficit? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

CALORIE DEFICIT

Started by mchadcota2
Views: 835 Posts: 5

2012-07-15 10:36 PM Dan Estrada

Do you stop at stop signs? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jashac
Views: 4791 Posts: 63

2009-07-01 10:16 PM tribullbutter

Calories In / Calories Out Paradigm Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by klowman
Views: 5723 Posts: 108

2009-02-27 3:44 PM klowman

liquid calories vs solid calories

Started by travisdotn
Views: 2258 Posts: 24

2008-05-08 10:57 AM infinIT 1

Calorie Deficit

Started by Afletcher
Views: 1345 Posts: 19

2007-06-04 8:58 PM GulfCoastSwimmer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Marni will show you how to make your own delicious and nutritious wrap that is light on calories but high in protein and nutrients.
date : October 2, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on losing weight and calorie restriction in the winter, post Ironman weight gain, workout calorie replacement and low sodium snacks.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : May 9, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
After a hard workout, I really like having a Coke or Pepsi. How bad is this for recovery and for my health? Should I stop drinking orange juice because it is loaded with (fattening) carbs and sugar?

date : April 12, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
For athletes, the saying “Drink responsibly” holds true for all fluids. Don’t let dehydration—or overhydration—hurt your ability to enjoy exercise and perform at your best.
date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.

date : October 9, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 2
This article gives instruction on using all the nutrition log features to count your daily calories from foods eaten.