General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The importance of the swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-28 9:00 AM

User image

Miami
Subject: The importance of the swim
I progressed from BOP to MOP in mi swimming times. I was very pleased with my improvement and I told myself that my race started after I the swim, that the swim is the least important part of a triathlon and I can make up for the time lost during the bike and the run, sports that I traditionally do well.

However, lately, I put a lot of work on my swim to get out of the water in a better position. I spent more time in the pool and a little less running (I run less time, but at a higher intensity), I kept biking consistent.

I did an Oly tri yesterday and I got out of the water 5th in my AG and top12% overall. Needless to say, this was my best swim ever and I was thrilled with it. However, my surprise came later in the race. Not only I was faster out of the water, I was less tired too. I put my best bike and run (broke 40 min!!) splits for an Oly PR and an AG win.

I believed that since I got out of the water with the "fastest guys", my bike strategy switched from passing as many people as I can at a pace that I think is fast to trying to hold on with the fast bikers at whatever speed they are racing. Then, for the run 4 of us were within 1 minute of each other and instead of just running against myself, I was actually chasing people to beat them.

I had more fun than in any other Tri so far and it is all because of the swim, that allowed me to race with the FOP guys from the start. So do not underestimate it!!

2014-07-28 9:22 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Subject: RE: The importance of the swim
Impressive. As a BOP swimmer who is working just to be a MOP swimmer, I am jealous.
2014-07-28 9:24 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by davidfedez I progressed from BOP to MOP in mi swimming times. I was very pleased with my improvement and I told myself that my race started after I the swim, that the swim is the least important part of a triathlon and I can make up for the time lost during the bike and the run, sports that I traditionally do well. However, lately, I put a lot of work on my swim to get out of the water in a better position. I spent more time in the pool and a little less running (I run less time, but at a higher intensity), I kept biking consistent. I did an Oly tri yesterday and I got out of the water 5th in my AG and top12% overall. Needless to say, this was my best swim ever and I was thrilled with it. However, my surprise came later in the race. Not only I was faster out of the water, I was less tired too. I put my best bike and run (broke 40 min!!) splits for an Oly PR and an AG win. I believed that since I got out of the water with the "fastest guys", my bike strategy switched from passing as many people as I can at a pace that I think is fast to trying to hold on with the fast bikers at whatever speed they are racing. Then, for the run 4 of us were within 1 minute of each other and instead of just running against myself, I was actually chasing people to beat them. I had more fun than in any other Tri so far and it is all because of the swim, that allowed me to race with the FOP guys from the start. So do not underestimate it!!

Not surprising.  Nice work!

2014-07-28 9:28 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-28 9:29 AM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by davidfedez

I progressed from BOP to MOP in mi swimming times. I was very pleased with my improvement and I told myself that my race started after I the swim, that the swim is the least important part of a triathlon and I can make up for the time lost during the bike and the run, sports that I traditionally do well.

However, lately, I put a lot of work on my swim to get out of the water in a better position. I spent more time in the pool and a little less running (I run less time, but at a higher intensity), I kept biking consistent.

I did an Oly tri yesterday and I got out of the water 5th in my AG and top12% overall. Needless to say, this was my best swim ever and I was thrilled with it. However, my surprise came later in the race. Not only I was faster out of the water, I was less tired too. I put my best bike and run (broke 40 min!!) splits for an Oly PR and an AG win.

I believed that since I got out of the water with the "fastest guys", my bike strategy switched from passing as many people as I can at a pace that I think is fast to trying to hold on with the fast bikers at whatever speed they are racing. Then, for the run 4 of us were within 1 minute of each other and instead of just running against myself, I was actually chasing people to beat them.

I had more fun than in any other Tri so far and it is all because of the swim, that allowed me to race with the FOP guys from the start. So do not underestimate it!!

"Not only was I faster out of the water, I was less tired too."

BINGO. People always correlate to being fast and times and miss the energy expenditure. I am not surprised by this and glad to see you make the improvement.

2014-07-28 11:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
But did you kick?

2014-07-28 11:53 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Shhhhhhhhh. Please delete your post right now - we don't need anyone else knowing the secret.....

2014-07-28 12:23 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
hahahah

I was talking to a buddy of mine recently who noted he has never made a podium before, and noticed he misses sprints by about 1:30 and olympics by around 2:30. He's an above average runner and decent rider....I asked him to look at the difference between his swim and the podium swims...I didn't even have to look.
2014-07-28 12:30 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

, Wisconsin
Great job! I'm glad you posted this as it will help motivate me to continue to get more serious about my swimming. Certainly my weakest link and just recently starting to see some decent improvement . . .
2014-07-28 12:48 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

Iowa City, Iowa
Nice work and it will encourage me to keep at my swimming, as I probably would have taken your initial view on "I'll just make up for it later"
2014-07-28 12:51 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

Great feedback, thanks.

2014-07-28 12:53 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by ChemNerd23 Nice work and it will encourage me to keep at my swimming, as I probably would have taken your initial view on "I'll just make up for it later"

I recently had some one who is not the best swimmer and very frustrated with swimming say "I am not swimming anymore its a waste of time.  IF I just run all the time my fitness will improve and I can make everything up on the bike and run"  I said well if you can't make the swim cut off you can't bike and run................then I said yea thats an AWESOME Idea I am not going to run anymore (My weak link by far) and just swim and bike all the time then walk the run and see how that goes. 

2014-07-28 2:12 PM
in reply to: Socks

Veteran
Great White North
Its not even the cutoff. Say you swim just over 2.00/100m and do a 32.00 1500, I swim 18.00 and come out less fatigued and 14 min ahead good luck beating me.
2014-07-28 2:13 PM
in reply to: 0

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've been focusing a lot on my swim efficiency this year, specifically through a program called Fast Forward that Coach Suzanne Atkinson (aka, Adventurebear) is running on the TI Academy website.  The 12 week program is aimed specifically at triathletes preparing for Oly and HIM distance races.

If nothing else, it's helped me to think about what I'm doing in the pool and integrating all the aspects of my stroke.  In the past I've been pretty undisciplined when swimming and just pounded out laps while daydreaming most of the time.  I'd pick one or two things to work on (high elbow catch, bilateral breathing, etc) but was never developing the consistency I was looking for.  Again, I think I had just gotten mentally lazy with my swimming.

I'm about halfway through the Fast Forward program and did a sprint tri last weekend with a 400M swim.  I just focused on trying to apply the things I've been working on, and was pleasantly surprised that it was the most effortless tri swim I can remember doing.  My breathing and HR stayed steady the whole way and I felt strong running up the beach to T1 in the beach parking lot.  I've swum faster legs in the past, but not nearly as efficiently.

I've not been worrying about my pace at this point, just imprinting the muscle memory for my technique.  My practices tend to be sets of shorter intervals (50's, 100's, 200's) where I can maintain my form for the entire distance, with a longer TT thrown in every week or so.  I've also been benefitting from the weekly Tuesday night OWS with our Sarasota Storm Tri club.

For me, the key to good race results is a good bike leg (did I mention I'm a terrible runner?).  If I can get out of the water in the MOP and feel fresh hopping on the bike, it does wonders for my confidence.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2014-07-28 2:14 PM
2014-07-28 2:15 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Veteran
Great White North
Btw

Waves for ITU are posted. 82 in mine, 80 for your son.

http://wts.triathlon.org/site/start_list/2014_itu_world_triathlon_g...
2014-07-28 2:18 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Pro

Originally posted by simpsonbo Btw Waves for ITU are posted. 82 in mine, 80 for your son. http://wts.triathlon.org/site/start_list/2014_itu_world_triathlon_g...

Cool....thanks!!

2014-07-28 2:51 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

Miami
Originally posted by happyscientist

Impressive. As a BOP swimmer who is working just to be a MOP swimmer, I am jealous.

I got two sessions one-on-one with a coach and it worked great for me. I am not saying that with only 2 1h sessions you will improve dramatically, but I already had a good swimming base (i.e. swimming in a Masters program for over a year, getting some individual help from the Master's program coach, over 12,000 yards/week swimming consistently for the past few months, etc.) and getting a coach made the difference for me. He fixed a couple of things, and my form and efficiency improved significantly.

After these 2 sessions, I went back to the pool 4x-5x per week and worked on my swim. I saw quick gains and that kept me very motivated.

If I did it (I was swimming at 2:20 min / 100 yards 18 months ago) you can do it too for sure!!
2014-07-28 3:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Crap, I have to swim more! My last sprint I came out of the water 4-5 minutes behind the eventual podium. Finished a little under 30s out of 3rd and about 1 1/2 out of 1st. My thought has always been to try and catch up after the swim, up to this point it has not worked out so well.
2014-07-28 6:20 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I've been focusing a lot on my swim efficiency this year, specifically through a program called Fast Forward that Coach Suzanne Atkinson (aka, Adventurebear) is running on the TI Academy website.  The 12 week program is aimed specifically at triathletes preparing for Oly and HIM distance races.

If nothing else, it's helped me to think about what I'm doing in the pool and integrating all the aspects of my stroke.  In the past I've been pretty undisciplined when swimming and just pounded out laps while daydreaming most of the time.  I'd pick one or two things to work on (high elbow catch, bilateral breathing, etc) but was never developing the consistency I was looking for.  Again, I think I had just gotten mentally lazy with my swimming.

I'm about halfway through the Fast Forward program and did a sprint tri last weekend with a 400M swim.  I just focused on trying to apply the things I've been working on, and was pleasantly surprised that it was the most effortless tri swim I can remember doing.  My breathing and HR stayed steady the whole way and I felt strong running up the beach to T1 in the beach parking lot.  I've swum faster legs in the past, but not nearly as efficiently.

I've not been worrying about my pace at this point, just imprinting the muscle memory for my technique.  My practices tend to be sets of shorter intervals (50's, 100's, 200's) where I can maintain my form for the entire distance, with a longer TT thrown in every week or so.  I've also been benefitting from the weekly Tuesday night OWS with our Sarasota Storm Tri club.

For me, the key to good race results is a good bike leg (did I mention I'm a terrible runner?).  If I can get out of the water in the MOP and feel fresh hopping on the bike, it does wonders for my confidence.

Mark

AWesome, I love reading your progress & improvement. I was at IM LP this week with 2 athletes I'm coaching who have ben doing a lot of work on the swim. BOTH of them finished faster than they expected to and felt great coming out of the water.

"Fast is Fun, Faster is Funner".

The thing is you can't just compare yourself to the guy / gal who finishes top 10% in your AG...only to where you were last year, last season or you rlast race. It's YOUR triathlon, and as long as you are making progress, things will keep getting better/faster/easier...and your own race strategy will keep changing.

Thanks for the post Mark!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The importance of the swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Importance of Body Marking

Started by Lucy
Views: 1516 Posts: 16

2014-07-28 3:27 PM crowny2

Importance of sleep

Started by gypsykorea
Views: 839 Posts: 7

2005-03-07 5:52 PM AdventureBear

Re-iterating the importance of *proper* stretching

Started by coredump
Views: 719 Posts: 11

2004-11-11 10:32 AM Darr

Importance of hydration - lesson learned

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 566 Posts: 4

2004-09-18 12:11 PM tboepple

The Importance of the Bike

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1151 Posts: 18

2004-03-19 7:49 PM Aikane
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 26, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming with no pool, IM long bike and run scheduling, the importance of base, finding motivation, Zoot shoes and running gait analysis.

date : February 22, 2010
Discussions on using the weekends for a long bike and run, good running cadence, Ironman swimming, importance of kick drills and swim cadence.
date : March 4, 2009
Discussions on wide feet, Ironman nutrition and it's importance, the use of fins in swimming, transition mistakes, special needs bags and running sockless.

date : January 27, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on swimming post surgery, straight arm recovery, the top 3 errors in stroke technique, importance of kicking, swimming like a barge and swim golf for further improvement.
date : April 5, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Discussion on training for a 5k open water swim, Ironman race swim placement, hammering on the swim during a race, TI swimming, importance of kick sets and rotation.

date : January 2, 2008
Discussions on sprint swim overdistance training, strength training, recovery after a marathon, core work importance, tight calves with new running gait and importance of a tri bike for an Ironman.