United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 24m 31s
Overall Rank = 1359/2594
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 112/216
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am, concerned about parking because the day before it was crazy. Found a really nice spot about 2 blocks from transition. Surprisingly didn't forget anything at home and I was actually rather calm for being my first 1/2 Ironman. I forgot to put a lip balm in the transition so I did have to walk back to the truck and then back to the transition just before it closed. I then ate my breakfast, espresso/chocolate bonk breaker (delicious) and a banana. I had one Hammer Gel before the swim.
Event warmup:

The water was a sweltering 61 F. I swam for about 10 minutes and stretched out before my wave launched. I was in the second to last wave so there was almost 2 hours from transition close to my start. I met up with my wife, mom, dad, and buddy before the swim and they took all of my valuables from me. Still felt very calm, and I was not nearly as nervous as I thought I'd be.
Swim
  • 47m 45s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was a little weird, the count down was lackluster, people were running, swimming and running/diving. A little chaotic, but I started swimming as soon as I could. I attended the pre-race meeting at the expo, but I did forget the buoys changed from yellow to orange with red as the turns. I saw the orange and thought it was red (didn't turn but thought I was almost done) just funny how your mind plays tricks on you. The water was cold. Bumped into a few others and vice versa. Legs weren't operating at full strength (due to cold?)

The water was basically glass except for the handful of times boats drove by. The swim was really fun.
What would you do differently?:

I had some issues getting to a pool with my work schedule so I would have liked to have gotten more pool workouts in, but it just didn't happen that way. I was happy with my time.
Transition 1
  • 06m 18s
Comments:

The beach run wasn't as bad as I thought, but when it transitioned to blacktop it was not very nice on the feet. I passed on the wetsuit strippers but did have them sunscreen me up. My bike was right at swim out, found it no problems. I sprayed my feet with some water that I had in transition and also took a drink of said water. Sprayed more sunscreen on myself. I had the bike in an easy gear and up the hill I went.

Be a little more careful with my sunglasses, the strap fell off of them, which I had to adjust at about mile 3 no handedly. Could have been faster. Felt great getting on the bike.
Bike
  • 3h 06m 34s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.01 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was so much fun. I saw my Ironcrew (spectators) at least 3 times and it was a great motivator. I passed quite a few people and I wasn't passed too much. Had to adjust right shoe toe strap about 1/3 of the way in. I had 3 bottles of CarboRocket 333, some water, and a bonk breaker.

I now know for next time I could have put out quite a bit more on the bike because I was trying to not burn myself out for the run (warned by numerous people to be careful of this) My main goal was to finish so I took it a little easy on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 05m 13s
Comments:

I had some BM issues (as in not having one the day before the race, nerves?) so I stopped at the porta potty, no success. I got out on the run and felt pretty good. On and off stomach issues which were solved at mile ~3 and ~9. More sunscreen.

Felt good, hit the porta potty, could have been faster. My Ironcrew was right at run out which was awesome, they were there for the whole transition.
Run
  • 2h 18m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Aside from some stomach cramping, which got resolved, I felt great. I felt very confident and strong especially this being my first 1/2 marathon and longest distance to date. The last two miles I felt very strong and ended up passing a lot of walkers. The spectators really made it fun! I had lots of water from the aid stations as the temperature was around 80. I also had a couple oranges, one hammer gel, 1 perform.

Probably need to play with nutrition a bit. More body glide
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, did the post race stuff (medal, hat, picture), stretch, food tent, stretch

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Some stomach issues on the run, access to a pool

Event comments:

I wanted a massage but it was about a 1/2 wait so I didn't get one. I just stretched out more. Great race, awesome Ironcrew and spectators, very fun. I was smiling all day, and my wife kept saying how impressed she was with how good my spirits were. A very fun race!

Last updated: 2014-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:45 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 147/216
Overall: 1652/2594
Performance: Average
Suit: Vortex 3 Sleeveless
Course: Point to point, 2 right turns-swim out turn right swim a mile, turn right swim to the beach
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:06:34 | 56 miles | 18.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 122/216
Overall: 1433/2594
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat, fast, some roads pretty bad with frost swells/troughs
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:18:41 | 13.1 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 112/216
Overall: 1359/2594
Course: Mostly flat with a few inclines/descents
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-28 11:57 AM

User image

Schaumburg
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Racine Pages: 1 2

Started by kimk
Views: 6071 Posts: 26

2010-07-22 8:14 PM miami9296

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by TUEFELHUNDEN
Views: 3479 Posts: 10

2013-07-22 5:34 PM Diesel J

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by GRB1
Views: 3634 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:11 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by swimwiu52
Views: 3186 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:27 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 4993 Posts: 19

2013-07-22 4:15 PM rdietz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.