General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » In need of your help guys... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-28 1:16 PM

Subject: In need of your help guys...
Hi all,

Newbie to the site given I've signed up to do an event next year that most definitely needs some expert/experienced advice.

Some background as to me so here goes....

I've done one triathlon before, a super sprint last September (Brownlee Bro's organised event which was brilliant though I was awake the whole night before). Have done the London Marathon, can run a distance but lost my mojo recently after having to pull out of the Paris marathon through illness so have let myself go recently. Been ticking over the past few weeks with a few 5-7 mile runs once or twice a week but nowhere near where I need to be. Did a half marathon 2 weeks ago with little prep, a very offroad and very hilly course through woodland (hot day) came 48th out of 100 with a time of 2h 28 - the winner did it in 1h 30. Thats pretty much it. I dont really ride a bike and I dont really swim apart from casual stuff.

Now the punchline. I've entered an Iron Man in June 2015 partly because I constantly challenge myself. The difficult part here is I need some clear guidance in terms of a plan both diet and training. So if anyone can spare the time to get in touch and offer some advice or guidance it would be appreciated.

Any more questions about me, my lifestyle or whatever else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks all, appreciate anything that comes through but please be gently ;-),
Tim

2014-07-29 5:14 AM
in reply to: Imayregretthis

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: In need of your help guys...

Hi Tim, welcome to BT and back to triathlon ... love your username that goes right with "good idea at the time"

You've got a year and you're not entirely new to endurance. Look at the BT Ironman training plans; another good one for Iron beginners in my opinion are Don Fink's Be Iron Fit. Figure out what you need to do in order to get to the start of one of those plans and do it. Your most important friend is consistency. If you do whatever bit you need to do each day, you'll get there.

Any other general or specific questions you have, Triathlon Talk or Iron Distance are great forums to post in. Lots of experience in these parts for you.

2014-07-29 9:50 AM
in reply to: Imayregretthis

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: In need of your help guys...
Great for you!

The first thing you need to do is make a high level schedule. Find a training plan (this site or others) and backtrack from your race date to your start date. Many of the plans are similar, so don't obsess over which one. "Beginner" Ironman or those with a state goal of finishing are what you are looking for. So I would say you will end up with two periods.

1. Now until the training plan starts (let's say January 1)
2. Training til raceday

In Section 1, focus on technique, especially swim, get lessons, have a solid stroke before you start piling on miles. Can't help with diet, but in this phase, get to what you consider a goal starting wait for training.

In Section 2, when you have you plan ready, sprinkle in some races, so can learn the logistics. I would recommend at least an Olympic distance somewhere along the line. If you can't swing it, have a virtual race on a weekend of your choosing. Pool swim, go home, bike, run.

I'm sure more experienced people can add more.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » In need of your help guys... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

big guy trying not to be so much of a big guy

Started by salleytl
Views: 891 Posts: 5

2009-01-07 11:31 AM lkagop

From car guy to tri guy?

Started by Cheaptalon
Views: 1074 Posts: 9

2008-12-04 11:35 PM Cheaptalon

New Guy needs advice

Started by runtime
Views: 1117 Posts: 7

2004-03-24 12:37 AM tech_geezer

Need help w/ first road bike.

Started by DMan
Views: 1131 Posts: 7

2004-02-03 8:56 PM scvb13

Set a big goal...now I need big help

Started by Irongirl
Views: 1487 Posts: 11

2003-10-08 10:22 PM Irongirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
comments : 0
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.
date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 0
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.