General Discussion Triathlon Talk » T1 lessons learned on second triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-28 2:39 PM

User image

, Illinois
Subject: T1 lessons learned on second triathlon
Raced in my second sprint race yesterday. I was surprised how much more nervous I was, I guess because I was more concerned about my time rather than just finishing. After my first race I noticed my transitions were very slow and I really concentrated on picking up some free time here. From my first race to my second race my biggest time gain was running to the transition area from the water. It sounds so simple but my mind was going in a thousand different directions when I got out of the water (damn I'm glad that's over with, I'm tired, now I have to bike and then run??, where's my bike?, etc). Those thoughts didn't go away in my second race but I was able to panic and run at the same time. I wear ankle socks, roll them up and slide them on like women put on pantyhose. I was sure I put on my sunglasses on before my helmet so that I can take off my helmet without having to mess with them in T2. I had my shoes in the bike and used rubber bands to hold them in place, executed and running mount without problems. I will probably fall on my face next time now that I have a little false confidence. It worked but I'm not sure this was a great idea for my second race.

Changes I'm going to work on for next time:
1. I'm done with the 3/4 zip tri top! It took 3 times in each race to get it on and slide down. Looking for a full zip top for my next race. I wasn't a fan of the full tri suit but I think it's the way to go once I buy a wetsuit.

It's amazing how swimming half a mile complicates some of this simplest tasks I take for granted.

2014-07-28 3:29 PM
in reply to: ec1974

Subject: RE: T1 lessons learned on second triathlon
Congrats on your second Tri! There are 2 things you mentioned that will save you a ton of time. First, ditch the socks. Second, it sounds like you are swimming without a top and then trying to put it on in T1? I did that for my first two Tris as well and it ate up almost a minute. Regardless of whether you have a wetsuit or not, you should wear your tri top for the swim.
2014-07-28 3:49 PM
in reply to: CzechYourHead

User image

, Illinois
I was concerned about the tri top slowing me down. Not true?
2014-07-28 4:08 PM

I've done a half dozen now.
Yesterday was the first time I tried it with a top on in the pool.
My swim time was slower by ~20 seconds. Being that I don't have a lot of history here and I don't time myself when I'm swimming laps, there could be a ton of other contributing factors unrelated to wearing a top.

In the past, worst case scenario, it took me ~30 seconds to put on a top. I know....10 seconds is 10 seconds. Yesterday was a sprint. My next will be an Olympic length. Being that I'm a participant focused on finishing, I think I will ditch the top for the swim. I figure, for me, if it's truly slowing me down by a few seconds....that amounts to a lot more than 30 seconds over a mile in the water. In either case, IF it's causing any drag, I figure I'm going to need every ounce of energy to finish as I've not gone quite that far yet. The longest I've done is .6/20/4 miles.

Next sprint....hard to say. This was the singlet.....1/8 of a sleeve type top....not the tank. It gives me a great excuse to spend some more money on the tank style and see how that plays out.

Worst case, I'll go back to t-shirts. Just not t-shirts from my fat guy days as they tend to act like a sail on me these days.
2014-07-28 4:32 PM
in reply to: #5031568

What is a good transition time by your standards. Also, I heard AG can't have any equipment (helmet/shoes/gloves) on the bike going into T1, is this true?
2014-07-28 4:45 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ec1974 I was concerned about the tri top slowing me down. Not true?

Not if it fits properly.  They're designed to wear throughout the entire race.

You didn't mention, but if you're not already doing it, practice transitions.  Bricks during the last two weeks or so before your race with a transition spot set up can be a good way to practice, because you'll be tired just like in a race.

2014-07-28 4:48 PM
in reply to: standbyzero

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by standbyzero What is a good transition time by your standards. Also, I heard AG can't have any equipment (helmet/shoes/gloves) on the bike going into T1, is this true?

A good time is going to vary from race to race, because of differences in the size of transition areas and the distances from the swim exit to the transition area, and the location of the timing mats.

It's not illegal by USAT rules.  In most (or all?) Ironman branded races AGer's aren't allowed to have their shoes on the bike ahead of time.

2014-07-28 8:17 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Franklin, TN

Originally posted by jhaack39 I've done a half dozen now. Yesterday was the first time I tried it with a top on in the pool. My swim time was slower by ~20 seconds. Being that I don't have a lot of history here and I don't time myself when I'm swimming laps, there could be a ton of other contributing factors unrelated to wearing a top. In the past, worst case scenario, it took me ~30 seconds to put on a top. I know....10 seconds is 10 seconds. Yesterday was a sprint. My next will be an Olympic length. Being that I'm a participant focused on finishing, I think I will ditch the top for the swim. I figure, for me, if it's truly slowing me down by a few seconds....that amounts to a lot more than 30 seconds over a mile in the water. In either case, IF it's causing any drag, I figure I'm going to need every ounce of energy to finish as I've not gone quite that far yet. The longest I've done is .6/20/4 miles. Next sprint....hard to say. This was the singlet.....1/8 of a sleeve type top....not the tank. It gives me a great excuse to spend some more money on the tank style and see how that plays out. Worst case, I'll go back to t-shirts. Just not t-shirts from my fat guy days as they tend to act like a sail on me these days.

As Don mentioned, it won't slow you down as long as it fits propertly.  It should fit like a second skin..you should feel some compression.  If the fabric is loose then it will slow you down on the swim and the bike.

2014-07-28 8:28 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by standbyzero What is a good transition time by your standards. Also, I heard AG can't have any equipment (helmet/shoes/gloves) on the bike going into T1, is this true?

A good time is going to vary from race to race, because of differences in the size of transition areas and the distances from the swim exit to the transition area, and the location of the timing mats.

It's not illegal by USAT rules.  In most (or all?) Ironman branded races AGer's aren't allowed to have their shoes on the bike ahead of time.

Whoa, I did not know that. You are supposed to run in your cleats, then? Seems way more dangerous that way, what's the reasoning behind that rule?
2014-07-29 1:55 AM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Danno77

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Whoa, I did not know that. You are supposed to run in your cleats, then? Seems way more dangerous that way, what's the reasoning behind that rule?

It is because very few athletes are proficient at completing a flying mount so they ban it for everyone.

Shane
2014-07-29 8:01 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

, Illinois
I obviously wasn't aware of that rule either. This was a USAT sanctioned event and I would assume there was an official watching the bike mounting line. When the official results come out I'll see if I was penalized.

2014-07-29 8:20 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by ec1974

I obviously wasn't aware of that rule either. This was a USAT sanctioned event and I would assume there was an official watching the bike mounting line. When the official results come out I'll see if I was penalized.

Flying mounts are legal in USAT events unless they decide for some reason to not allow them and tell you about the change at the prerace meeting.

For IM events, they are generally not allowed except for elites.

Shane
2014-07-29 9:08 AM

As others have said, ditch the socks and wear a one or two piece trisuit. I'll also add, elastic laces combined with the other two will make a huge difference in your transition times.
2014-07-29 11:16 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Good idea on the elastic laces. And I really like them for their comfort factor too.
2014-07-29 12:47 PM

User image

Miami

Raced in my second sprint race yesterday. I was surprised how much more nervous I was, I guess because I was more concerned about my time rather than just finishing. After my first race I noticed my transitions were very slow and I really concentrated on picking up some free time here. From my first race to my second race my biggest time gain was running to the transition area from the water. It sounds so simple but my mind was going in a thousand different directions when I got out of the water (damn I'm glad that's over with, I'm tired, now I have to bike and then run??, where's my bike?, etc). Those thoughts didn't go away in my second race but I was able to panic and run at the same time. I wear ankle socks, roll them up and slide them on like women put on pantyhose. I was sure I put on my sunglasses on before my helmet so that I can take off my helmet without having to mess with them in T2. I had my shoes in the bike and used rubber bands to hold them in place, executed and running mount without problems. I will probably fall on my face next time now that I have a little false confidence. It worked but I'm not sure this was a great idea for my second race.

Changes I'm going to work on for next time:
1. I'm done with the 3/4 zip tri top! It took 3 times in each race to get it on and slide down. Looking for a full zip top for my next race. I wasn't a fan of the full tri suit but I think it's the way to go once I buy a wetsuit.

It's amazing how swimming half a mile complicates some of this simplest tasks I take for granted.

I had the fastest T1 time for my AG in my last weekend triathlon. The simplest/cleanest transition area, the better. I was usually average, changes that I made:

Put helmet on, grab the bike, and run with the bike for a fly mount. No socks, no gloves, no running with cleats. I will only consider socks for IM and gloves for HIM and IM from now on.

My T2 was slow, but is because I didn't have elastic laces and I had to lace my shoes. If not, easy: rack bike, take helmet off, put shoes on, grab race belt, sunglasses and hat/visor and put all of them on while running towards the run out.
2014-07-29 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania

I was concerned about the tri top slowing me down. Not true?

It might slow you down by a few seconds. How much time did you waste struggling to put it on in T1?

2014-07-29 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
As to the socks, be careful. Try bare feet out carefully before jumping into it. I am prone to blisters. I put on socks at every distance and I generally still am among the fastest transition times in every race so I've stopped worrying about it. I keep my shoes on the bike when allowed so I run out of T1 and into T2 in my socks.

As to the shoes on the bike, it varies. The simple answer is just to check at each race. It's not a blanket USAT rule.
2014-07-29 4:22 PM
in reply to: smoom

The other thing I'll add, get to the race early if the transition area is a free for all. There are good spots and bad spots. Check out the entry and exit points. Many times, the RD will set-up transition without thinking about advantages they may give. The most obvious one I can think of is when they have the 'bike in' and 'bike out' in at the same spot. The closer you rack to that point, the more running in transition you do without a bike and without your cleats on. The other common one is when they assign you to a rack by a range of numbers (such 160-170) but the rack itself is a free for all. Always grab the outside spot closest to the running lane.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » T1 lessons learned on second triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First triathlon finished -- lessons learned

Started by Bruenor
Views: 1910 Posts: 18

2010-08-24 6:55 PM Terrese Tuchscher

Bike fitting - lessons learned/learning

Started by cobannero
Views: 1561 Posts: 6

2006-02-09 11:18 AM cobannero

Lessons learned from run training....

Started by dhyte
Views: 1593 Posts: 10

2004-02-15 6:36 PM Shrike

Lessons learned from swim training

Started by dhyte
Views: 1600 Posts: 13

2004-02-20 5:25 PM TriMom217

Lessons learned.......

Started by Bigpikle
Views: 688 Posts: 4

2003-12-30 8:09 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 0
Have you finished your first triathlon and are about to do your second? This article will give you several tips to improve.

date : August 2, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 19
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on breathing. Before you can swim fast, you must learn how to control your breathing so that easy swimming does not leave you gasping after one lap.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Gina76
comments : 2
The completion of my first sprint triathlon! Even though it has been over a year since my first tri, I find myself ready to do two more this year and even two half marathons!

date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.