World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 42m 54s
Overall Rank = 725/2606
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 117/333
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:00. I ate two pieces of whole grain toast with peanut butter and jelly. I started drinking a concoction of Carborocket, hornet juice, and electrolyte tabs on the drive with the intent to finish 30 minute before start. I arrived at transition at about 4:20; right before it opened. I got a prime parking sport. I got transition set up and filled tires with air. Ate a cliff bar and headed to swim out..about a mile walk.
Event warmup:

The water temperature was cold - 61 F, so I spent about 20 minutes acclimating to the water. I stayed in the water right until start time. This actually calmed me down and eliminated the shock of the cold water. Took a Honey Stinger shot about 30 minute prior to swim start.
Swim
  • 34m 50s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lined up on the inside right behind what I thought were the fast swimmers. I figured I would be top 20 percent coming out of the water. Hindsight, I think this was the right decision. had a really good swim. My pace was outstanding..faster than any of my Olympic or Sprints. My Garmin still doesn't work very well in OWS. The distance was way off compared to others. Overall, sighting was good except between a couple buoys I lost concentration and pulled to the right. I alternated breathing for most of the race. This got me in a good rythym and was relaxed.

I did experience a bit of nausea. I am not sure if this is because of intake of water or nutrition. I will have to work this out moving forward.
What would you do differently?:

Not much; with the exception of maintaining concentration and sighting.
Transition 1
  • 04m 56s
Comments:

Slow transition for me. But, for my first HIM, I took it a bit easy. I took time to put socks on and take a Cliff Shot. I also took time to transfer watch from wrist to bike.

Wet suit strippers were great! Albeit, my calves immediately cramped during removal. Not sure if this was from the cold water or what. As soon as I got moving, they went away.

There was a long run along the beach to the transition area. I took it pretty easy because of my calf injuries leading up to the race.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I ate two Amrita bars and one cliff bar at miles 18, 36, and 45. Drank my 20 oz of CarboRocket, hornety juice, and two electolytes tabs over the first 30 miles. I also finished my water bottle with two gels and two electolyte tabs by mile 30 (20 oz). I also took additional water and perform during the course as needed probably equivelant to another 30 oz. I felt the urge to pee at mile 40, so my liquid intake was good. I felt my overall nutrition during the bike was good.

I did take it easy on the bike. I considered that my run volume had been limited for the last two months (calf injuries), so I didn't want to push too hard. At mile 40, I remember feeling really good!

Next HIM, I will push a bit harder on bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Forgot my garmin on the bike, so I had to circle back.
Run
  • 2h 11m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Due to calf injuries leading up to the race, I logged only 30 miles over the last two months. So, going into the run, I new I had to take it easy. My plan was to run/jog to aid stations and then walk. I ran most of the first 8 miles stopping briefly at each aid station; then it got quite painful during the remainder of the race. I did a lot of walking/stretching the last 5 miles. I guess this is expected due to my run volume and never running a half marathon before. Hindsight, I should not have pushed as hard during he first 8 miles.

I had a concoction of water, CarboRocket, and electrolytes in a hand water bottle. I finished this in the first few miles. I took one Honey Stinger shot right out of the gates, and ate two shots off of the course. I drank water and perform at each aid station. I think I might have grabbed some cola and chips during the last couple miles. I felt my nutrition was pretty good during the run.

Not be injured and increased run volume :) My nutrition could have better planned for the run. I think it was perfect on the bike, but lacked planning on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Food!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries and run training!

Event comments:

Race volunteers were fabulous! Racine citizens were great. It was well organized.

This was my first HIM! I was pleasantly surprised with the finish time! I originally targeted a 6 hour finish then adjust that to 6:30 after calf injuries. So, I was very happy with 5:42. I had a beast swim, solid bike, and fell apart on the run (as anticipated). Next HIM, I will get revenge!

Last updated: 2014-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:50 | 2112 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/333
Overall: 327/2606
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra - Vortex 3
Course: Out about 200 yards; followed the beach, and in 200 yards. Plenty of buoys to sight off of...as opposed to previous races that I have done. This made sighting easy.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:49:04 | 56 miles | 19.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 121/333
Overall: 551/2606
Performance: Good
Mostly high Zone 3 and low Zone 4.
Wind: Little
Course: One loop, with a lot of turns. The course was very congested at times and also had rough spots: faulting of joints and rough surfaces.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:11:45 | 13.1 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 125/333
Overall: 775/2606
Performance: Average
Garmin HR monitor did not work during the run...
Course: Two loops. Mostly flat course. The Racine residents were awesome! A lot of them had sprinklers, so you could run through them. This felt refreshing!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-28 11:05 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine

2014-07-29 10:11 AM
in reply to: #5031803

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine
Nice race.

I'd kill for your swim time. well done.
2014-07-29 5:06 PM
in reply to: MUL98

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine
Thanks, Mul! It has taken two years of stroke work/changes/drills to get my swim to where it is at, and I still have a lot to work on! My swim volume is pretty light as compared to most HIM athletes, so this could help as well.

Thanks again,

Todd
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Racine Pages: 1 2

Started by kimk
Views: 6069 Posts: 26

2010-07-22 8:14 PM miami9296

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by TUEFELHUNDEN
Views: 3477 Posts: 10

2013-07-22 5:34 PM Diesel J

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by GRB1
Views: 3634 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:11 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by swimwiu52
Views: 3186 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:27 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 4991 Posts: 19

2013-07-22 4:15 PM rdietz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.