BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-07-30 1:52 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Nope, definitely NOT this Manatee.  Not even HIM.  My body tried to go there and fell apart.  I know my limits & respect them.

I am considering a 6 hour run for this fall, but I know I have to take it nice and easy to get there in one piece, especially after the hamstring incident of 2014. I agree with Judi, Iron or Half is not in my future. At least not at the moment.

I'm pretty sure HappyStoned meant "aren't we all" as in nuts ... I know, so obvious no one would have thought ...

Erm, yes, I did mean "aren't we all nuts."  Darn grammar!!  There's no way in heck I'm *ever* going to do an IM.  Sort of planning to do the St. Croix HIM for my 50th b-day, but I have 5 years to work up to that.  Maybe in 5 years, I'll have come to my senses and opted to go St. Croix (or some other such exotic locale) to just lounge and enjoy umbrella drinks.

Good thing that you have some hills to work.  People I train with say that it was harder than IMMT.

I did see that they have a sprint course as well.  I'll keep that as a back-up option in case my body's not up for an HIM.  Looked at the course map and there's a hill on the bike that looks horrendous.  Website says, "Twenty-one miles into the bike, The Beast is a 600-foot climb in a stretch of highway 7/10 of a mile long with an average grade of 14 percent and a maximum grade of 21 percent."   Yikes!

Erin and Dan were not real happy with that part of the course!  I think it's all about being mentally prepared that this is a tough course.  I think that some people think beach and not that the middle of the island is Not Flat.

That hill sounds like a lot of fun!  When you're on it, you just have to enjoy it.

I think you have a different definition of fun than I do.  Hey, I have an idea:  they now have a relay option.  We could do a Team Manatee and somebody else could ride the Beast instead of me!!

I think that Tom just offered!  After all, he lives in hilly Dayton.

I just looked up where St. Croix is.  That hill is sounding better all the time.

2014-07-30 2:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Nope, definitely NOT this Manatee.  Not even HIM.  My body tried to go there and fell apart.  I know my limits & respect them.

I am considering a 6 hour run for this fall, but I know I have to take it nice and easy to get there in one piece, especially after the hamstring incident of 2014. I agree with Judi, Iron or Half is not in my future. At least not at the moment.

I'm pretty sure HappyStoned meant "aren't we all" as in nuts ... I know, so obvious no one would have thought ...

Erm, yes, I did mean "aren't we all nuts."  Darn grammar!!  There's no way in heck I'm *ever* going to do an IM.  Sort of planning to do the St. Croix HIM for my 50th b-day, but I have 5 years to work up to that.  Maybe in 5 years, I'll have come to my senses and opted to go St. Croix (or some other such exotic locale) to just lounge and enjoy umbrella drinks.

Good thing that you have some hills to work.  People I train with say that it was harder than IMMT.

I did see that they have a sprint course as well.  I'll keep that as a back-up option in case my body's not up for an HIM.  Looked at the course map and there's a hill on the bike that looks horrendous.  Website says, "Twenty-one miles into the bike, The Beast is a 600-foot climb in a stretch of highway 7/10 of a mile long with an average grade of 14 percent and a maximum grade of 21 percent."   Yikes!

Erin and Dan were not real happy with that part of the course!  I think it's all about being mentally prepared that this is a tough course.  I think that some people think beach and not that the middle of the island is Not Flat.

That hill sounds like a lot of fun!  When you're on it, you just have to enjoy it.

I think you have a different definition of fun than I do.  Hey, I have an idea:  they now have a relay option.  We could do a Team Manatee and somebody else could ride the Beast instead of me!!

Stick a 26 on the front and a 32 on the back and spin up there at 4 mph :-)

Edited by Richardsdrr 2014-07-30 2:14 PM
2014-07-30 2:27 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Stick a 26 on the front and a 32 on the back and spin up there at 4 mph :-)

The website actually offers gearing suggestions.

2014-07-30 3:29 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Hahaha! three pages in already? pfffft...why am I faking surprise?

Been keeping up my log but not much else. J is gone to Salt Lake this week, and I've been staying busy.

We had to scrap our Sunday morning ride. Monsoon season brings some real weather through sometimes, and after checking early-morning radar J figured we were just going to get caught in a big storm. I was irritated, but he was right. Several rides/races were called short because of storm hitting Phoenix.

Got a decent swim in on Monday using the drills from J's coaching sessions. And I was going to go after yoga today, but my arms/shoulders are toast.  J got a deal on a dip tower this weekend, and I've been doing some upper body sets. Between those and yoga and painting and the mtn bike ride last night, I needed to rest them.

Aaaaand the ride last night. Got the sitter to come over so I could meet up with my Barn Burner partner. I've never ridden with him before, so I thought I'd make up for missing Sunday's ride. Ended up with him and three other guys on trails I mostly hadn't ridden before...nothing like being the new girl.   I was having fun until the first (yes, FIRST) cholla kicked up into the back of my left thigh. The two guys I was with at the time were riding ahead of me and headed up a switchback that I didn't know the turn for...oh, and I had a cactus stuck in my leg. lol   So I stopped on a flat section and worked on getting the needles out. I rode to meet them on their way back and had Todd get the ones I couldn't see. Continue ride...then we bumped into two other guys that they ride with sometimes. The one on the single speed told me to go ahead of him and I kept up ok...until the next cholla buried itself in the front of my left ankle. I pedaled for about two corners and then pulled over. PAINFUL! I had to use two rocks to pull the spikes out. Felt like it took forever. The single speed caught up to me and waited until I was ready. Was after 8 and basically dark by the time we got back to our cars. Then Strava was on its maintenance and I couldn't get the immediate feedback I so crave  Ankle is still sore and slightly swollen today. Stupid cactus. At least my tires/tubes are ok. lol

2014-07-30 4:00 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner

I'll be the first to post hiking/pet pix in the shiny new thread. The boys and I hiked La Luz yesterday. It's about 6,000 ft of gain over 7 miles and took us just over 3 hours.

ETA: if you  look close at the picture from the top you can see the trail we came up way down low...

That looks like an awesome hike! Glad you could get out with the boys

2014-07-30 4:07 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Originally posted by IronOx

I keep getting these emails from support.  I don't understand them though...can someone help decipher for me?

To: me
Jul 28

No Workouts Scheduled

No swimming?

No biking?

No running?

OH MY!!!!

Love the new name

2014-07-30 4:09 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Think I may have bought a new(2nd hand) bike. Pics tomorrow if I go ahead with the sale

There. Much better.

2014-07-30 4:10 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

At work now so I have access to a  real computer.  Have been getting by at home with my iphone.    The bt app is not as user friendly as I would like, or maybe I am a ten digit typist in a two digit medium.     My thumbs seem to be barely opposible.     No matter.   Life has kept me busy this past few months and training has been mainly on the bike.     That's okay but with a half marathon planned for October I should at least get back on the tread mill.    This is a month after a planned century ride.     Those will be my only two events this year.    I swim about one a week and get a mile or so in just to maintain form. It don't take 30 minutes or so.   This is my background so I don't have to train as much as some might think is necessary.    Have not ran at all because I have been adjusting to these bloody orthotics.   Hmm, Morton's Neuroma sharp pain or over all lower body general dull ache.   Take your choice......

Been enjoying the more than occasional cool spells this summer.     Got to get my CPR profession certification renewed.   Ironman Chattanooga is closing in so need to be prepared to Lifeguard during the swim.   It takes nothing special to volunteer at the bike aid stations.      Got to decide where to stay that weekend.  I no longer have the boat I was planning to stage from.     I have acquired another two wheeler.   This one is motor powered and is a vintage Honda Helix CN250.   It's 28 years old.    Still runs like a top, though.   Need to spruce her up a bit.    Might ride this to IMChatt.  Stay at the campground on top of the mountain.  

Good to drop in and see what everyone is up to.   Some times it's the bright spot in the day that gets me by.  

2014-07-30 4:21 PM

User image

Master

hoooooo-eeeee!

5% is a lot around here.

We're waiting for cooler weather to try Mt. Lemmon near Tucson which is 3-24%.

2014-07-30 4:24 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Speaking of lots of miles, limits and belt buckles...did anyone happen to see Jenn Shelton's John Muir trail record this past weekend?? 

She's such a badazz. 222 relentless miles in 4 days 9hrs 36 min

What is this elevation thing I hear so much about???

ETA: I did a little research and can't find anything recent. But from what I found, she is complete badazzidness.

You can go back and search the hashtag #JMTFKT

But yeah. She is my very favorite runner of all time. If you have read Born to Run, she is THE Jenn 

2014-07-30 9:43 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Hello? hello? heelllllo? echo....echhooo.....eeeecchhoooo..... it's so empty in here! Welcome to Wednesday! Monica glad to see you are back on the grid! Hope everyone else is having a good week. This past weekend our local tri scene was all a flutter since Lake Placid was so close and we had a number of people competing.......so what does that mean for me? WELLLLLL lots of chatter now on next year's full and WHO WILL DO THEM?! The newcomers (I call us the sophomore class) is talking about doing one together! Am I nuts? So let me get this straight, I have to run a FULL MARATHON after I BIKE 112 MILES? OMG Sounds crazy?! :D IMMT is the leading contender now......thoughts? I'd love to hear them!

I'm seriously considering doing one myself next year.  The front runner is Chattanooga.  I have friends down there, and it would be easy to keep the travel costs down. Louisville is also pretty close to me.  I would prefer to do a fall race, so I can race other distances in the summer.

But I'm weighing the pros and cons, and might just settle for a HIM or two.

Louisville has been moved to October...it was on my list for next year in August, but may have to change plans now.  Hard to get time off during school year.

What are you considering?  I've got a few in mind.  Still negotiating with DH ;-)

Boulder or Mt. Tremblant with Boulder in the lead.  Need to make a decision, like now, since it will open on Monday...

2014-07-30 11:02 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Hello? hello? heelllllo? echo....echhooo.....eeeecchhoooo..... it's so empty in here! Welcome to Wednesday! Monica glad to see you are back on the grid! Hope everyone else is having a good week. This past weekend our local tri scene was all a flutter since Lake Placid was so close and we had a number of people competing.......so what does that mean for me? WELLLLLL lots of chatter now on next year's full and WHO WILL DO THEM?! The newcomers (I call us the sophomore class) is talking about doing one together! Am I nuts? So let me get this straight, I have to run a FULL MARATHON after I BIKE 112 MILES? OMG Sounds crazy?! :D IMMT is the leading contender now......thoughts? I'd love to hear them!

I'm seriously considering doing one myself next year.  The front runner is Chattanooga.  I have friends down there, and it would be easy to keep the travel costs down. Louisville is also pretty close to me.  I would prefer to do a fall race, so I can race other distances in the summer.

Louisville has been moved to October...it was on my list for next year in August, but may have to change plans now.  Hard to get time off during school year.

What are you considering?  I've got a few in mind.  Still negotiating with DH ;-)

Boulder or Mt. Tremblant with Boulder in the lead.  Need to make a decision, like now, since it will open on Monday...

Ooo ooo ooo, come to Boulder!!  I live 45 min. from the race site and could come hoot and holler for you in person instead of on the interwebs!!

2014-07-31 7:34 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Speaking of lots of miles, limits and belt buckles...did anyone happen to see Jenn Shelton's John Muir trail record this past weekend?? 

She's such a badazz. 222 relentless miles in 4 days 9hrs 36 min

What is this elevation thing I hear so much about???

ETA: I did a little research and can't find anything recent. But from what I found, she is complete badazzidness.

You can go back and search the hashtag #JMTFKT

But yeah. She is my very favorite runner of all time. If you have read Born to Run, she is THE Jenn 

Ahhh Haaa. Now I have to go back and read it. That book was a bit of a challenge when I read it, as I was trying to figure out the fact from the fiction and the science from the mythology. And my complete lack of knowledge of anything in that arena at the time did not help.

BTW, if anyone wants it, let me know. I'll get it to you in a bit, after I've re-read it.

2014-07-31 7:53 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I just ordered the Daniels' Running Formula book.  After tri season, I'm going to spend some time working on 5Ks this fall.  The goal is to go under 20:00.  I'd love to get close to 19.  Next year with more of a running base, I'd like to try again.  Hopefully no more stupid injury setbacks.

2014-07-31 8:52 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Ooo ooo ooo, come to Boulder!!  I live 45 min. from the race site and could come hoot and holler for you in person instead of on the interwebs!!

THAT offer is tempting!!

But if Ironox comes to Mont Tremblant I will (probably) be there :D I know THAT is pretty intriguing too
2014-07-31 9:45 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

THAT offer is tempting!! But if Ironox comes to Mont Tremblant I will (probably) be there :D I know THAT is pretty intriguing too

Yes, Randeetee. You ARE intriguing.

2014-07-31 9:47 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Think I may have bought a new(2nd hand) bike. Pics tomorrow if I go ahead with the sale

There. Much better.

N+1 :-)

Bought it, 2 years old, with helmet, kryptonite lock, panniers, rack, for 135 quid :-)
I've nearly saved that amount in fuel cost from the commuting I've been doing.
Cost me another 20 quid for new pads front and back, and 2 hours labour giving it a good clean/oil etc but think I got a deal. Should be comfier that the allez.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (266KB - 12 downloads)
2014-07-31 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

There. Much better.

N+1 :-) Bought it, 2 years old, with helmet, kryptonite lock, panniers, rack, for 135 quid :-) I've nearly saved that amount in fuel cost from the commuting I've been doing. Cost me another 20 quid for new pads front and back, and 2 hours labour giving it a good clean/oil etc but think I got a deal. Should be comfier that the allez.

I figured that the southern hemisphere folks would ride upside down bikes!

It's red so it must be fast! :-)

2014-07-31 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

There. Much better.

N+1 :-) Bought it, 2 years old, with helmet, kryptonite lock, panniers, rack, for 135 quid :-) I've nearly saved that amount in fuel cost from the commuting I've been doing. Cost me another 20 quid for new pads front and back, and 2 hours labour giving it a good clean/oil etc but think I got a deal. Should be comfier that the allez.

It's really neat how he has the bike hanging from the ceiling like that without hooks.  I need some of that technology.

2014-07-31 9:58 AM

User image

Melon Presser

There. Much better.

AWWWW YEAH

I think I'm rapidly approaching S-1 with Kingsley ... except I keep buying him gear, too, to distract him.

2014-07-31 10:04 AM

User image

Denver, CO

There. Much better.

Suh-WEET!!  Have fun with it.

2014-07-31 10:15 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Dang it, I missed National Cheesecake Day yesterday.  For all you cheese afficionados (note: *not* cheesecake), here's how Cakewrecks honored the day: http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2014/7/30/who-cut-the-cheese.html

2014-07-31 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I was thinking the same thing! Between Mary and I we've got you covered for Sherpa duty!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to commit to doing it with you but I'm not sure I can do that by Monday. I've been thinking I had until November to decide on IMAZ.

2014-07-31 10:31 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

There. Much better.

AWWWW YEAH

I think I'm rapidly approaching S-1 with Kingsley ... except I keep buying him gear, too, to distract him.

I was thinking of Kingley yesterday whilst watching the Commonwealth Games (yes, I'm just getting to those). I like how they incorporate the para events in with the other events, instead of making it it's own separate games.

2014-07-31 10:40 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

There. Much better.

AWWWW YEAH

I was thinking of Kingley yesterday whilst watching the Commonwealth Games (yes, I'm just getting to those). I like how they incorporate the para events in with the other events, instead of making it it's own separate games.

Nice use of "whilst".

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42105 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37233 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72647 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50221 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25579 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.